Factor Ring of a Ring: Example of Integral Domain with Divisors of 0

• Thread starter tinynerdi
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ring
In summary, an example that shows a factor ring of a ring with divisors of 0 can be an integral domain is ZxZ/5Z, which is isomorphic to Z/5Z. However, ZxZ/5Z is not a subring of ZxZ, making it not a valid example.
tinynerdi

Homework Statement

give an example to show that a factor ring of a ring with divisors of 0 may be an integral domain.

Homework Equations

since we know that ZxZ is a zero divisor and 5Z is an integral domain.

The Attempt at a Solution

So, ZxZ/5Z =~(isomorphic to) Z/5Z=~ Z_5.

Physics news on Phys.org
ZxZ/5Z doesn't even make much sense. 5Z isn't a subring of ZxZ.

I forgot about that.. let try Z/ZxZ =~ Z Since ZxZ is a subring of Z.

tinynerdi said:
I forgot about that.. let try Z/ZxZ =~ Z Since ZxZ is a subring of Z.

How are you considering ZxZ as a subring of Z? ZxZ is ordered pairs of integers, isn't it? Z is just integers.

FAQ: Factor Ring of a Ring: Example of Integral Domain with Divisors of 0

1. What is a factor ring of a ring?

A factor ring of a ring is a new ring that is created by taking a quotient of the original ring. This means that certain elements or subsets of the original ring are identified as equivalent and combined to form a new ring.

2. What is the purpose of the factor ring of a ring?

The factor ring of a ring is used to simplify and study the structure of a ring. It can also help to identify important properties of the original ring, such as the presence of certain ideals or subrings.

3. How is the factor ring of a ring represented?

The factor ring of a ring is typically denoted as R/I, where R is the original ring and I is the ideal that is used to form the quotient. In some cases, a different notation, such as R//I, may be used.

4. What is an ideal in the context of a factor ring of a ring?

In the context of a factor ring of a ring, an ideal is a subset of the original ring that is closed under addition, subtraction, and multiplication by elements of the ring. It is used to determine which elements or subsets of the original ring are identified as equivalent in the factor ring.

5. How is the factor ring of a ring computed?

The factor ring of a ring is computed by first defining an ideal I in the original ring R. Then, the elements of I are used to create cosets, which are subsets of R that contain all elements of I plus one additional element. These cosets form the elements of the factor ring, with operations defined based on the original ring operations. This process is also known as taking the quotient of R by I.