Factoring Out Ckq in Summation: Proper or Breaking Rules?

• Thread starter digipony
  • Start date
In summary, the relationship between the determinants of two matrices A and B can be proven by considering two cases, one where A is singular and one where A is nonsingular. This approach avoids the use of summation notation and can help to better understand the properties of the determinant.
digipony

Homework Statement

Prove the relation det(AB)=det(A)det(B)

Homework Equations

det A = [itex]\sum_{k}A_{kq} C_{kq}[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Here is what I have done:

(detA)(detB)= [itex]\sum_{k}A_{kq} C_{kq}[/itex] [itex]\sum_{k}B_{kq} C_{kq}[/itex]
= [itex]\sum_{k}(A_{kq}B_{kq}) C_{kq}[/itex]
= [itex]\sum_{k}(AB)_{kq} C_{kq}[/itex]
=det(A+B)

My question is: is it mathematically proper to factor out the Ckq in the summation, or am I breaking some matrix/summation rule here?

Thanks!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
digipony said:

Homework Statement

Prove the relation det(AB)=det(A)det(B)

Homework Equations

det A = [itex]\sum_{k}A_{kq} C_{kq}[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Here is what I have done:

(detA)(detB)= [itex]\sum_{k}A_{kq} C_{kq}[/itex] [itex]\sum_{k}B_{kq} C_{kq}[/itex]
= [itex]\sum_{k}(A_{kq}B_{kq}) C_{kq}[/itex]
= [itex]\sum_{k}(AB)_{kq} C_{kq}[/itex]
=det(A+B)

My question is: is it mathematically proper to factor out the Ckq in the summation, or am I breaking some matrix/summation rule here?

Thanks!

This is riddled with serious errors. First: the cofactors ##C_{ij}## depend on the matrix, so you have one cofactor ##C_{ij}(A)## for matrix ##A## and a different one ##C_{ij}(B)## for matrix ##B##. Second, you cannot use the same summation index in both factors, so you need to write something like
[tex] \det(A) \det(B) = \sum_{k} a_{kp}C_{kp}(A) \sum_{m} b_{mq} C_{mq}(B),[/tex]
and this does not really lead anywhere.

Ray Vickson said:
this does not really lead anywhere.

Ok, I will try to prove it without summation notation. Thank you

Why don't you try considering two cases, one where A is singular and another where A is nonsingular?

Related to Factoring Out Ckq in Summation: Proper or Breaking Rules?

What is "det" in the context of proving det(AB)=det(A)det(B)?

"det" refers to the determinant of a matrix, which is a numerical value that can be calculated from the elements of the matrix. It represents the scaling factor of the matrix, and is used in various mathematical operations involving matrices.

What is the significance of proving det(AB)=det(A)det(B)?

Proving det(AB)=det(A)det(B) is an important step in matrix algebra, as it allows for simplification and calculation of determinants of larger matrices by breaking them down into smaller matrices. It also helps in understanding the properties and behavior of determinants in different operations involving matrices.

What is the mathematical reasoning behind det(AB)=det(A)det(B)?

The mathematical reasoning behind det(AB)=det(A)det(B) lies in the definition of the determinant, which is a product of the eigenvalues of a matrix. When two matrices are multiplied, the eigenvalues of the resulting matrix are the products of the eigenvalues of the individual matrices. Therefore, the determinants of the matrices are also multiplied, resulting in det(AB)=det(A)det(B).

Can det(AB)=det(A)det(B) be proven for all matrices?

Yes, the property of det(AB)=det(A)det(B) holds true for all matrices, as long as the matrices are of compatible dimensions for multiplication. This means that the number of columns in matrix A must be equal to the number of rows in matrix B.

Are there any exceptions to the rule det(AB)=det(A)det(B)?

Yes, there are certain special cases where det(AB)=det(A)det(B) does not hold true. For example, when one of the matrices is singular (its determinant is equal to 0), the property does not hold. Additionally, when the matrices are complex, the property may hold true but with different factors involved.