Factorizing taylor polynomials of infinite degree

In summary, the conversation mentioned the idea of factorizing Taylor polynomials and whether any Taylor polynomial can be factorized into an infinite product representation. The speaker believed that this was possible and used the example of factorizing sin(x). They also mentioned the coefficient of the highest exponent in the series and its relationship to the infinite sum representation. However, they eventually realized that the factorization is different from the infinite sum representation. They also mentioned the strange behavior of the factorization for even and odd values of n. The speaker also attempted to factorize e^x but was unsuccessful due to the lack of complex roots. They concluded by questioning whether e^x is non-factorizable. The conversation also referenced the Weierstrass factorization theorem and
okkvlt
an idea i had:

factorizing taylor polynomials
Can any taylor polynomial be factorized into an infinite product representation?
I think so.

I was able to do this(kinda) with sin(x), i did it this way.

because sin(0)=0, there must be an x in the factorization.
because every x of sin(x)=0 is n*pi where n is any number, there is (x+pi)(x-pi)(x+2pi)(x-2pi)... in the factorization
the (x+n*pi)(x-n*pi) can be simplified to (x^2-n^2*pi^2)

i know therefore that the factorized polynomial of sin(x) is in the form of

ax(x^2-pi^2)(x^2-4pi^2)(x^2-9pi^2)(x^2-16pi^2)(x^2-25pi^2)...

heres where i got messed up:

a= the coefficient of the highest exponent in the series, which is n*2+1 where n is the number of factors.
a=1/(2n+1)!

which comes from the infinite sum representation. but as it turns out this is incorrect.(which after reasoning through it i realize that this the factorization is totally different from the infinite sum representation. and therefore i was wrong) but with help from my graphing calculator i was able use guess and check to decide the value of a.

also, it turns out that if n even, the factorization is sinx, while if n is odd, the factorization is -sinx. this is strange.

heres one factorization i came up with. but its only accurate between -pi and pi. graph it and see what i mean.

sinx=(1/500000000000)x(x^2-pi^2)(x^2-4pi^2)(x^2-9pi^2)(x^2-16pi^2)(x^2-25pi^2)(x^2-36pi^2)

it seems as though regardless of the number of factors, the polynomial is only accurate between -pi and pi.

with the moderate success of factorizing sin(x), i decided to try it with e^x
e^x=x^0/0!+x^1/1!+x^2/2!+x^3/3!+...

however, the only solution of e^x=0 is negative infinity; there are not even any complex roots that i can work with.
so does this mean that e^x non-factorizable? i can't imagine why.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weierstrass_factorization_theorem"

Last edited by a moderator:
foxjwill's right on the money. You also have to be very careful about what you mean for an infinite product to converge. A lot of things you think should converge as infinite products dont.

Related to Factorizing taylor polynomials of infinite degree

1. What is the purpose of factorizing Taylor polynomials of infinite degree?

The purpose of factorizing Taylor polynomials of infinite degree is to find a simplified form of an infinite degree polynomial, which can then be used to approximate the behavior of a more complex function.

2. How is the process of factorizing Taylor polynomials of infinite degree different from regular polynomial factorization?

The process of factorizing Taylor polynomials of infinite degree involves finding the common factors among the coefficients of the polynomial, rather than the variables themselves. This is because the variables in an infinite degree polynomial are all raised to the same power, making it easier to identify common factors.

3. Can Taylor polynomials of infinite degree be used to find the exact value of a function?

No, Taylor polynomials of infinite degree can only approximate the behavior of a function. As the degree of the polynomial increases, the approximation becomes more accurate, but it will never be an exact representation of the function.

4. What are some applications of factorizing Taylor polynomials of infinite degree?

Factorizing Taylor polynomials of infinite degree is commonly used in fields such as physics and engineering to approximate complex functions, such as the trajectory of a projectile or the behavior of a circuit. It can also be used in numerical analysis and optimization problems.

5. Are there any limitations to factorizing Taylor polynomials of infinite degree?

Yes, factorizing Taylor polynomials of infinite degree can only be used for functions that are infinitely differentiable. This means that it may not be applicable to all types of functions, such as ones with discontinuities or sharp turns.