Failing at projection question

In summary, failing at projection can occur due to external factors, inaccurate data or assumptions, or human error. To avoid failure, thorough research, accurate data, and regular revisions are important. The consequences of failure can result in financial losses or damaged credibility. Improving projection skills takes practice, education, and seeking feedback. While failing at projection is generally seen negatively, it can also provide valuable learning opportunities.
reha
let pf(x)= sum( from i=1 to k) <x, ui>ui, show pf is a projection.

Ive tried to show this fact myself but i failed. Please some one help me out. thanks

Note ui = u1...un an orthogonal basis of V where V is a vector space.

Physics news on Phys.org

Welcome to PF, reha.

The usual procedure in showing that a given function is a projection, is to verify that is satisfies the definition of a projection. (By the way, that's true for many other things as well.)

So, what's the definition of a projection in a vector space?

It is understandable that you are having difficulty showing that pf(x) is a projection. However, it is important to note that pf(x) is a projection if and only if it satisfies the following properties:

1. pf(x) is idempotent, meaning that pf(pf(x)) = pf(x)
2. pf(x) is self-adjoint, meaning that <pf(x), y> = <x, pf(y)> for all x, y in V
3. pf(x) is a linear transformation

To show that pf(x) is a projection, we can use the fact that the basis {u1, u2, ..., uk} is orthogonal. This means that <ui, uj> = 0 for all i ≠ j. Using this fact, we can show that pf(x) satisfies all three properties listed above:

1. Since the basis is orthogonal, we have that pf(pf(x)) = sum(from i=1 to k) <pf(x), ui>ui = sum(from i=1 to k) <x, ui><ui, ui> = sum(from i=1 to k) <x, ui>ui = pf(x). Therefore, pf(x) is idempotent.

2. Similarly, we have that <pf(x), y> = sum(from i=1 to k) <x, ui><ui, y> = sum(from i=1 to k) <x, ui><y, ui> = <x, sum(from i=1 to k) <y, ui>ui> = <x, pf(y)>. Therefore, pf(x) is self-adjoint.

3. Finally, since pf(x) is a linear combination of the basis vectors ui, it is a linear transformation.

Therefore, we can conclude that pf(x) is indeed a projection. I hope this explanation helps you understand and show this fact yourself. If you still have any doubts or questions, please feel free to ask for further clarification. Keep up the good work!

FAQ: Failing at projection question

1. Why do we fail at projection?

Failing at projection can occur for a variety of reasons, such as unforeseen external factors, inaccurate data or assumptions, or human error in the projection process. It is important to carefully analyze the reasons for the failure in order to improve future projections.

2. How can we avoid failing at projection?

To avoid failing at projection, it is important to conduct thorough research and analysis before making projections. This includes considering all potential variables, gathering accurate and reliable data, and utilizing appropriate projection methods. Additionally, regularly revisiting and adjusting projections as new information becomes available can help prevent failures.

3. What are the consequences of failing at projection?

The consequences of failing at projection can vary depending on the context and severity of the failure. In some cases, it may result in financial losses or missed opportunities. It can also damage the credibility and trust in the projections and the individuals or organizations responsible for them.

4. How can we improve our projection skills?

Improving projection skills takes practice and a willingness to learn from past failures. It is important to continuously educate oneself on new methods and techniques for making projections, as well as staying up-to-date on relevant industry and market trends. Seeking feedback and collaborating with other experts can also help improve projection skills.

5. Can failing at projection ever be a good thing?

While failing at projection is generally seen as a negative outcome, it can also provide valuable learning opportunities. Examining the reasons for the failure can lead to a better understanding of the projection process and potential blind spots. It can also prompt adjustments and improvements for future projections.