Why Are Private Companies Launching Spacecraft Into Orbit?

• Thread starter Ivan Seeking
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Tower
In summary, SpaceX launched the Dragon capsule into orbit, but there was a delay and it will be landing at 2pm EST.
Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
It just launched. Due to orbit the Earth twice before reentry.

The first commercial spacecraft slated to orbit Earth and re-enter successfully was originally scheduled to lift off shortly after 9 a.m. No reason was given for the delay. Launch coordinators will try again at 10:43 a.m...
http://www.cnn.com/2010/US/12/08/space.flight/?hpt=T1

Physics news on Phys.org
SpaceX Launches the Dragon Capsule into Orbit

The first of what NASA hopes will someday be a fleet of privately built rockets and capsules to supply the international space station launched from Cape Canaveral on Wednesday morning in a major test for the commercial space industry.

If all goes well, the capsule will circle the globe twice and then splash down 90 minutes later in the Pacific.
(Source: http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/12/08/AR2010120801591.html?hpid=topnews)

Other reports mention a 3.5 hour delay before splashing down, so I'm not sure about the discrepancy.

But, how cool is this!? I kept my fingers crossed the whole time. My two favorite things: private industry and space travel!

Apparently a indicator gave a false report of a problem with the ship that's why it was delayed. And it will be landing @ 2pm EST so that gives a flight time of around 3.5hrs no?

This is good news. I watched the launch on the NASA channel.

Has anyone heard if the Dragon capsule has landed? Much less news about the end of the mission than I expected.

EDIT: This just got crawled by Google: http://cosmiclog.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2010/12/08/5613447-splashdown-a-sense-of-space-deja-vu

Last edited by a moderator:
why are private companies launching into space? Couldn't this get out of hand..?

tichy said:
why are private companies launching into space? Couldn't this get out of hand..?

Out of hand? This has nothing to do with "getting out of hand"...

Once the U.S. Government issued the patent on http://patft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-...0&s1=6055910.PN.&OS=PN/6055910&RS=PN/6055910", there was going to be no stopping this race into space...

Wikileaks is nothing compared to this insane abuse of the "Freedom of Information Act". This information should have been sequestered FOREVER!

But it was out there, and I read it all. And just like wikileaks, I was intrigued by everything I saw and read.

pfwdtpgqm.jpg

The only question I have left is, where does figure #1 fit into the apparatus?

Last edited by a moderator:
tichy said:
why are private companies launching into space?
1. Because they can.
2. Because NASA is paying them to.
(not necessarily in that order)
Couldn't this get out of hand..?
What do you mean? Couldn't what get out of hand?

Related to Why Are Private Companies Launching Spacecraft Into Orbit?

What does it mean when "Falcon 9 has cleared the tower"?

When "Falcon 9 has cleared the tower," it means that the SpaceX Falcon 9 rocket has successfully lifted off from the launch pad and has passed the tower structure without any issues.

How high is the tower that Falcon 9 has to clear?

The height of the tower that Falcon 9 has to clear varies depending on the launch location. For example, at the Kennedy Space Center in Florida, the tower is approximately 370 feet tall.

Why is it important for Falcon 9 to clear the tower?

Clearing the tower is an important milestone in the launch process as it ensures that the rocket has safely lifted off and has enough clearance to avoid any obstacles or structures on the ground.

What happens if Falcon 9 fails to clear the tower?

If Falcon 9 fails to clear the tower, it could result in a catastrophic failure of the rocket and potential damage to the launch pad or surrounding structures. In such a scenario, the launch would likely be aborted and the rocket would be destroyed.

How long does it take for Falcon 9 to clear the tower?

The time it takes for Falcon 9 to clear the tower varies depending on the specific launch and conditions, but it typically takes around 10-15 seconds from liftoff until the rocket has completely passed the tower structure.