Falling pole lifting off the ground.

In summary, a pole will lift off the ground before hitting it at an angle of 70.5 degrees from the vertical, and the horizontal force on the pole will be -1/√2 times its weight.
Prologue
I have heard (what I consider to be) a myth of a pole lifting off the ground before it hits. That is, set something like a telephone pole up on end with no initial falling velocity, then let it drop. The claim is that the bottom of the pole actually lifts from the ground before the whole thing crashes down. This is not a statement from experience (that I know of) but from a (very good) physics professor of mine, he says that it is true and I just don't believe him. There is a little ambiguity that I'll have to ask him about when I get the chance, whether or not the ground has friction, but I suppose it could be worked out both ways and it still would be crazy to me. He says the key it to look at the normal force, figure out when it is zero and then calculate the angle (measured from vertical) and it will be less than 90 degrees.

This isn't a homework problem, just something he mentioned a few months ago and I have some time to think about it now. I figured I would look at the frictionless case first and then take an energy approach, say

[tex]dE=0[/tex]

And where M is the total mass of the pole, h is the height of the center of mass, the total length of the pole is given by 2l, I is the moment of inertia

[tex]Length=2l[/tex]

[tex]h=l\sin{\phi}[/tex]

[tex]\dot{h}=velocity \: of \: CM[/tex]

[tex]I=\frac{1}{12}M(2l)^{2}[/tex]

[tex]KE=\frac{1}{2}M\dot{h}^2+\frac{1}{2}I \omega ^{2}[/tex]

[tex]U=Mgh[/tex][tex]E=KE+U[/tex]

[tex]E=\frac{1}{2}M\dot{h}^2+\frac{1}{2I} L^{2}+Mgh[/tex]

E has its structure because there will be rotation around the CM, there will be translation straight down of the CM, and there will be a potential energy associated with CM.

It is clear that h, L, and h dot are functions of time. I, M, g, E are not. My thought was to try and find the torque on the pole about the center of mass, then integrate over time to get the angular momentum. This looks like

[tex]\tau=Mg(h\sin{\phi})[/tex]
[tex]L=\int_{0}^{t}\tau dt=\int_{0}^{t} Mg(h\sin{\phi})dt[/tex]

But, this approach leaves me with a nasty equation

[tex]E=\frac{1}{2}M\dot{h}^2+\frac{1}{2I} (\int_{0}^{t} Mg(h\sin{\phi})dt)^{2}+Mgh[/tex]I think that if I found h(t), then the rest would be tractable, but I don't see how to get it.

I would really like to get a handle on the method that one would use to solve this problem, as it seems mine are inadequate. My professor claims that it can be done with intro physics (calculus based) techniques. Got any ideas?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You cannot find ##h(t)## analytically. Follow your professor's suggestion and use energy conservation to find the angular speed ##\omega## as a function of ##\theta## and hence the normal force as a function of ##\theta##. Here is how.

We will assume that the pole is hinged at the point of contact and find the angle at which the vertical force on the hinge becomes zero. We take the zero of potential energy to be the vertical position of the pole. The change in potential energy is ##\Delta U=-mgl(1-\cos \theta)~## where ##\theta## is measured from the vertical. The pole rotates about the hinge so its change of kinetic energy starting from zero is $$\Delta K=\frac{1}{2}I \omega^2=\frac{1}{2}\times \frac{1}{3}m(2l)^2 \omega^2=\frac{2}{3}ml^2 \omega^2.$$Mechanical energy conservation says ##\Delta U+\Delta K=0## which gives the centripetal acceleration of the cm$$ a_C=\omega^2 l=\frac{3}{2}g (1-\cos \theta).$$

Now we draw the FBD for the rod

FallingRodFBD.png

The torque equation about the hinge gives the tangential acceleration of the cm$$mgl \sin(\theta)=\frac{4}{3}ml^2\alpha=\frac{4}{3}ml^2\frac{a_{T}}{l}~\rightarrow~a_{T}=\frac{3}{4}g\sin \theta.$$We now write Newton's 2nd law in the vertical direction which is of interest here
$$F_{net,y}=F_y-mg=-ma_C \cos\theta-ma_T \sin\theta$$
Component ##F_y## is zero when
$$\frac{3}{2}g (1-\cos \theta)\cos\theta+\frac{3}{4}g\sin^2 \theta=g$$This equation simplifies to$$\cos^2 \theta-\frac{2}{3}\cos\theta+\frac{1}{9}=0$$Note that it's a perfect square, therefore the solution is $$\cos\theta=\frac{1}{3}~\rightarrow~\theta=70.5^o$$Answer: The rod's end will lift off the ground at angle ##70.5^o## with respect to the vertical.

Now that we have dispensed with the mythbusting, let's find the horizontal force at that angle
$$F_{net,x}=-ma_C \sin \theta+ma_T \cos\theta=-m\frac{3}{2}g (1-\cos \theta)\sin \theta+m\frac{3}{4}g\sin \theta \cos \theta$$ With ##\cos\theta=\dfrac{1}{3};~\sin \theta=\sqrt{\dfrac{8}{9}}##, $$F_{net,x}=-\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}mg.$$

Last edited:

Related to Falling pole lifting off the ground.

1. What causes a falling pole to lift off the ground?

The lifting of a falling pole off the ground is caused by the conservation of angular momentum. As the pole falls, it gains rotational momentum, which allows it to lift off the ground.

2. Can a falling pole ever lift off the ground without any external forces?

No, a falling pole can only lift off the ground if there is an external force acting on it, such as the conservation of angular momentum or a person catching it.

3. Is there a specific angle at which a falling pole will always lift off the ground?

No, the angle at which a falling pole will lift off the ground depends on various factors, such as the length and weight of the pole, the height from which it is falling, and the surface it is falling onto.

4. Are there any other factors that can affect the lifting of a falling pole?

Yes, other factors that can affect the lifting of a falling pole include air resistance, the shape and density of the pole, and the speed at which it is falling.

5. How does the lifting of a falling pole relate to the laws of physics?

The lifting of a falling pole is related to the laws of physics, specifically the conservation of angular momentum and the principles of motion and force. These laws govern the behavior of objects in motion and explain how and why the pole is able to lift off the ground.