Falling rod which is fixed at the pin

In summary, a long uniform rod of length L and mass M is released from rest in a vertical position and pivoted about a horizontal, frictionless pin through one end. The angular speed and magnitude of angular acceleration at the instant the rod is horizontal are found, along with the x and y components of the acceleration of its center of mass and the components of the reaction force at the pivot. There is a discrepancy in the equations when using different axes for the rotational motion, and further analysis is needed to determine the cause of this issue.
issacnewton
Hi

I am trying to solve this problem. I already got the answer but have some questions.

A long uniform rod of length L and mass M is pivoted
about a horizontal, frictionless pin through one end. The
rod is released from rest in a vertical position, as shown in
Figure P10.61. At the instant the rod is horizontal, find
(a) its angular speed, (b) the magnitude of its angular ac-
celeration, (c) the x and y components of the acceleration
of its center of mass, and (d) the components of the reac-
tion force at the pivot.

I got parts a,b,c and I am trying to do part d. Now I reasoned that, when the rod is rotating,
there will be two reactions at the pin. Since the motion of the rod at the pin is prevented in x and y directions, in free body diagrams, there will two forces, f1
in an upward, y direction, and f2 ,in the horizontal x direction.
And there will be weight, mg acting downwards at the center of mass. Let L be the length of the rod. Now from part a,b,c I got x and y components of the acceleration of the center of mass (the usual tangential acceleration).

[tex]a_{tx}=\frac{3g}{4}\sin \theta \cos \theta[/tex]

where [tex]\theta[/tex] is the angle made by the rod with the vertical direction. so above acceeleration is directed to the right. And the downward y component is

[tex]a_{ty}=\frac{3g}{4} \sin^{2}\theta[/tex]

I got the answer to the part d by setting up Newton's second law equations in x and y directions. But I tried to use another approach of setting up torque equations, and there was a problem. I reasoned that , angular acceleration, [tex]\alpha[/tex] would be same around any axis . The value of , [tex]\alpha[/tex] , I got was

[tex]\alpha=\frac{3g\sin \theta}{2L}[/tex]

Now first let me write the values of f1 and f2 I got from solving
translational equations of motion for the center of mass.

[tex]f_1=mg\left[1-\frac{3}{4}\, \sin^2 \theta \right] [/tex]

[tex] f_2=\frac{3mg}{4}\, \sin \theta \cos \theta[/tex]

Now I set up the equation for rotational motion around the axis passing through the other free end of the rod.

[tex]\tau=(mg\sin\theta)\frac{L}{2}-(f_1 \sin \theta)L+(f_2 \cos \theta)L\cdots (1)[/tex]

but [tex]\tau=I(-\alpha)[/tex]

where I is the moment of inertia around the axis passing through the other end. So

[tex]\tau=-\frac{1}{3}mL^2\alpha[/tex]

Now when I equate the two expressions, I get

[tex]\frac{1}{3}mL^2\alpha=(f_1 \sin \theta)L-(mg\sin\theta)\frac{L}{2}-(f_2 \cos \theta)L[/tex]

Now I used the original value of alpha and simplified it.

[tex]\frac{3f_1}{mL}\sin \theta - \frac{3f_2}{mL}\cos \theta=\frac{3g\sin \theta}{L}[/tex]

Now if I plug in the values of f1 and f2 in the above expression
, I end up with 1=0, which is wrong.

When I use the axes passing through the pin and the one passing through the center of mass
, I don't get this problem. When I choose an axis passing through any point beyond the
center of mass towards the other end, I get some problem. So I am suspecting that
there is something wrong in the equation 1. Can you see that ?

Attachments

• 1.PNG
    1.PNG
    2.4 KB · Views: 1,123
Physics news on Phys.org
hi IssacNewton! :smile:
IssacNewton said:
… Now from part a,b,c I got x and y components of the acceleration of the center of mass (the usual tangential acceleration).

[tex]a_{tx}=\frac{3g}{4}\sin \theta \cos \theta[/tex]

where [tex]\theta[/tex] is the angle made by the rod with the vertical direction. so above acceeleration is directed to the right. And the downward y component is …

i haven't looked through the rest of it, but you seem to have left out the https://www.physicsforums.com/library.php?do=view_item&itemid=27" of the centre of mass :wink:

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh ya, I forgot that. With centripetal acceleration into the consideration, we get f1
and f2 as

[tex]f_1=mg-m\left[\frac{9g}{4}\sin^2\theta+\frac{3g}{2}(\cos\theta-1)\right][/tex]

and

[tex]f_2=\frac{3mg\sin\theta}{4}(3\cos \theta-2)[/tex]

but my problem about that eq. 1 still holds :cry:

IssacNewton said:
When I use the axes passing through the pin and the one passing through the center of mass, I don't get this problem. When I choose an axis passing through any point beyond the center of mass towards the other end, I get some problem.

i think you're reversing the sign of α …

the angular velocity and acceleration are the same, no matter where they're measured about :wink:

I am just following signs properly. Since the rod's angular speed is increasing, and since its rotating in clockwise direction, the sign of angular acceleration should be negative ,so that [tex]\alpha[/tex] is just magnitude of the angular acceleration...

IssacNewton said:
I am just following signs properly. Since the rod's angular speed is increasing, and since its rotating in clockwise direction, the sign of angular acceleration should be negative ,so that [tex]\alpha[/tex] is just magnitude of the angular acceleration...

ah, you're measuring θ and α from the horizontal … i thought you were doing it from the vertical, because of the torque mgLsinθ …

have you mixed them up? :confused:

I will look into it.

Going to bed now :zzz: late night here

may be I can work whole thing in dream tonight o:)

Related to Falling rod which is fixed at the pin

1. What is the concept of a falling rod fixed at a pin?

The concept of a falling rod fixed at a pin refers to a physical phenomenon where a rod, which is initially upright and fixed at one end, falls to the ground due to the force of gravity.

2. What causes a falling rod fixed at a pin?

A falling rod fixed at a pin is caused by the force of gravity acting on the rod. As the rod falls, the center of gravity shifts and the rod rotates around the pin until it reaches the ground.

3. How does the length of the rod affect the speed of the fall?

The length of the rod does not affect the speed of the fall. The speed of the fall is determined by the force of gravity and the mass of the rod, not its length.

4. Can the angle at which the rod is fixed affect its fall?

Yes, the angle at which the rod is fixed can affect its fall. If the rod is fixed at an angle other than 90 degrees, it will not fall straight down and may have a curved path as it falls.

5. What other factors can affect the fall of a rod fixed at a pin?

Other factors that can affect the fall of a rod fixed at a pin include air resistance, the shape and density of the rod, and any external forces acting on the rod such as wind or friction.