Falling to a Star With Varying Acceleration

In summary, we have discussed a problem involving a negligible mass object being dropped from a distance of 2 kilometers away from a neutron star with a mass of 1.989*10^30 kilograms and a radius of 7,802 meters. We looked at two methods for calculating the time it takes for the object to reach the surface of the neutron star: using conservation of energy and solving a differential equation. Using the latter method, we derived an equation for the time and also discussed a special case for when the object falls from a very far distance. We also briefly touched on finding the speed of the object at any point using conservation of energy.
Tom MS
Take an object of negligible mass that is dropped from rest 2 kilometers away from a neutron star of mass 1.989*10^30 kilograms (1 solar mass) and radius 7,802 meters. How long will it take the object to reach the surface of the neutron star?

I'm not terrible at calculus, but I know for a fact that a problem such as this involves some integration that I haven't been able to pin down.

Physics news on Phys.org
[tex]t = \frac{ \cos^{-1} \left ( \sqrt{\frac{x}{r}} \right ) + \sqrt{\frac{x}{r} \left ( 1-\frac{x}{r} \right ) }}{\sqrt{2 \mu}} r^{\frac{3}{2}}[/tex]

Where x is the radius of your neutron star
r is the distance of the object from the center of the neutron star
[itex]\mu[/itex] is equal to G(M+m) with M+m being the sum of the neutron star and object masses. (if m is really small with respect to M, you can ignore it without sacrificing accuracy too much.)

Janus said:
[tex]t = \frac{ \cos^{-1} \left ( \sqrt{\frac{x}{r}} \right ) + \sqrt{\frac{x}{r} \left ( 1-\frac{x}{r} \right ) }}{\sqrt{2 \mu}} r^{\frac{3}{2}}[/tex]

Where x is the radius of your neutron star
r is the distance of the object from the center of the neutron star
[itex]\mu[/itex] is equal to G(M+m) with M+m being the sum of the neutron star and object masses. (if m is really small with respect to M, you can ignore it without sacrificing accuracy too much.)
Thank you! Do you have a derivation for this that I could look at?

Tom MS said:
Thank you! Do you have a derivation for this that I could look at?

There was one on here but it was a long time ago and I can't find it. I've got the solution written down if you are interested.

How much maths do you know? It's really just a solution to a differential equation. It's not too hard but involves a trick or two.

PeroK said:
There was one on here but it was a long time ago and I can't find it. I've got the solution written down if you are interested.

How much maths do you know? It's really just a solution to a differential equation. It's not too hard but involves a trick or two.
I'm taking high school level AP calculus right now, but I'd be happy to see the solution! In terms of differential equations, I only know how to solve simple linear differential equations and separable differential equations.

Also, I just realized. Why couldn't I just use conservation of energy?

Tom MS said:
I'm taking high school level AP calculus right now, but I'd be happy to see the solution! In terms of differential equations, I only know how to solve simple linear differential equations and separable differential equations.

Also, I just realized. Why couldn't I just use conservation of energy?

Yes, you can use conservation of energy, but that's not all you need. I'll show you both methods. I've got slightly different notation:

##M## is the mass of the large body, ##R## is the radius of the large body, ##r_0## is the starting position of the falling mass, ##r_1## is the final position of the falling mass, where ##r_1 \ge R##, and ##r## is the variable position of the falling mass. And, ##r'(0) = 0## meaning the falling mass starts from rest.

First, you have the differential equation for ##r##:

##r'' = -\frac{GM}{r^2}##

The first trick is to multiply both sides by the integrating factor ##2r'## to give:

##2r'r'' = -2r'\frac{GM}{r^2}##

##\frac{d}{dt}(r')^2 = \frac{d}{dt}(\frac{2GM}{r})##

##(r')^2 = \frac{2GM}{r} + C = \frac{2GM}{r} - \frac{2GM}{r_0} = 2GM(\frac{r_0 - r}{rr_0})## (using the initial position to find ##C##)

This gives us the first equation:

##(r')^2 = 2GM(\frac{r_0 - r}{rr_0})## Equation (1)

The alternative, as you suggested, is to use conservation of energy:

##-\frac{GMm}{r_0} = -\frac{GMm}{r} + \frac{1}{2}m(r')^2##

Which gives you equation (1) more easily.

The main trick is a non-obvious substitution:

Let ##r = r_0 cos^2\theta## hence ##r' = -2r_0(cos\theta sin\theta)\theta'##

Substituting this into (1) gives:

##4r_0^2(sin^2 \theta cos^2 \theta)(\theta')^2 = 2GMr_0(\frac{1 - cos^2 \theta}{r_0^2 cos^2 \theta}) = \frac{2GMsin^2 \theta}{r_0 cos^2 \theta}##

##cos^4 \theta (\theta')^2 = \frac{GM}{2r_0^3}##

##cos^2 \theta (\theta') = \sqrt{\frac{GM}{2r_0^3}}## Equation (2)

Now we integrate this with respect to ##t##, noting that at ##t = 0, r = r_0, \theta = 0## and at ##t = t_1, r = r_1, \theta = \theta_1##

##\int_0^{\theta_1} cos^2 \theta d \theta = \sqrt{\frac{GM}{2r_0^3}}t_1 + C##

##\frac{1}{4}[2\theta_1 + sin2\theta_1] = \sqrt{\frac{GM}{2r_0^3}}t_1## (as ##C = 0##)

This gives us essentially an intermediate solution for ##t_1##:

##t_1 = \sqrt{\frac{r_0^3}{8GM}}[2\theta_1 + sin2\theta_1]## Equation (3)

Where ##r_1 = r_0 cos^2 \theta_1## hence ##\theta_1 = cos^{-1} \sqrt{\frac{r_1}{r_0}}##

Now, of course, you can use trig identities to give ##sin 2\theta_1## in terms of ##r_0, r_1##:

##sin2\theta_1 = 2cos\theta_1 sin\theta_1 = 2 cos\theta_1 \sqrt{1- cos^2\theta_1} = 2 \sqrt{\frac{r_1}{r_0}} \sqrt{1- \frac{r_1}{r_0}}##

This gives you the formula that Janus posted:

##t_1 = \sqrt{\frac{r_0^3}{2GM}}[cos^{-1} \sqrt{\frac{r_1}{r_0}} + \sqrt{\frac{r_1}{r_0}(1- \frac{r_1}{r_0})}]## Equation (4)

Although, this is actually a more general formula for time to fall from any distance ##r_0## to any other distance ##r_1##.

There is a special case worth mentioning. If the object falls from a long way away and you model the large mass as a point mass, then ##r_1 = 0## and you get a good estimate for the time it takes the two objects to collide. The exact equation would, of course, have ##r_1 = R##:

##t_1 = \sqrt{\frac{r_0^3}{2GM}}[\frac{\pi}{2} + 0] = \pi \sqrt{\frac{r_0^3}{8GM}}## Equation (5)

Last edited:
Likes Tom MS
Is it valid to divide the distance r by t above to get the speed of entry?

houlahound said:
Is it valid to divide the distance r by t above to get the speed of entry?

No. You can get the speed at any point simply from conservation of energy.

PeroK said:
Yes, you can use conservation of energy, but that's not all you need. I'll show you both methods. I've got slightly different notation:

##M## is the mass of the large body, ##R## is the radius of the large body, ##r_0## is the starting position of the falling mass, ##r_1## is the final position of the falling mass, where ##r_1 \ge R##, and ##r## is the variable position of the falling mass. And, ##r'(0) = 0## meaning the falling mass starts from rest.

First, you have the differential equation for ##r##:

##r'' = -\frac{GM}{r^2}##

The first trick is to multiply both sides by the integrating factor ##2r'## to give:

##2r'r'' = -2r'\frac{GM}{r^2}##

##\frac{d}{dt}(r')^2 = \frac{d}{dt}(\frac{2GM}{r})##

##(r')^2 = \frac{2GM}{r} + C = \frac{2GM}{r} - \frac{2GM}{r_0} = 2GM(\frac{r_0 - r}{rr_0})## (using the initial position to find ##C##)

This gives us the first equation:

##(r')^2 = 2GM(\frac{r_0 - r}{rr_0})## Equation (1)

The alternative, as you suggested, is to use conservation of energy:

##-\frac{GMm}{r_0} = -\frac{GMm}{r} + \frac{1}{2}m(r')^2##

Which gives you equation (1) more easily.

The main trick is a non-obvious substitution:

Let ##r = r_0 cos^2\theta## hence ##r' = -2r_0(cos\theta sin\theta)\theta'##

Substituting this into (1) gives:

##4r_0^2(sin^2 \theta cos^2 \theta)(\theta')^2 = 2GMr_0(\frac{1 - cos^2 \theta}{r_0^2 cos^2 \theta}) = \frac{2GMsin^2 \theta}{r_0 cos^2 \theta}##

##cos^4 \theta (\theta')^2 = \frac{GM}{2r_0^3}##

##cos^2 \theta (\theta') = \sqrt{\frac{GM}{2r_0^3}}## Equation (2)

Now we integrate this with respect to ##t##, noting that at ##t = 0, r = r_0, \theta = 0## and at ##t = t_1, r = r_1, \theta = \theta_1##

##\int_0^{\theta_1} cos^2 \theta d \theta = \sqrt{\frac{GM}{2r_0^3}}t_1 + C##

##\frac{1}{4}[2\theta_1 + sin2\theta_1] = \sqrt{\frac{GM}{2r_0^3}}t_1## (as ##C = 0##)

This gives us essentially an intermediate solution for ##t_1##:

##t_1 = \sqrt{\frac{r_0^3}{8GM}}[2\theta_1 + sin2\theta_1]## Equation (3)

Where ##r_1 = r_0 cos^2 \theta_1## hence ##\theta_1 = cos^{-1} \sqrt{\frac{r_1}{r_0}}##

Now, of course, you can use trig identities to give ##sin 2\theta_1## in terms of ##r_0, r_1##:

##sin2\theta_1 = 2cos\theta_1 sin\theta_1 = 2 cos\theta_1 \sqrt{1- cos^2\theta_1} = 2 \sqrt{\frac{r_1}{r_0}} \sqrt{1- \frac{r_1}{r_0}}##

This gives you the formula that Janus posted:

##t_1 = \sqrt{\frac{r_0^3}{2GM}}[cos^{-1} \sqrt{\frac{r_1}{r_0}} + \sqrt{\frac{r_1}{r_0}(1- \frac{r_1}{r_0})}]## Equation (4)

Although, this is actually a more general formula for time to fall from any distance ##r_0## to any other distance ##r_1##.

There is a special case worth mentioning. If the object falls from a long way away and you model the large mass as a point mass, then ##r_1 = 0## and you get a good estimate for the time it takes the two objects to collide. The exact equation would, of course, have ##r_1 = R##:

##t_1 = \sqrt{\frac{r_0^3}{2GM}}[\frac{\pi}{2} + 0] = \pi \sqrt{\frac{r_0^3}{8GM}}## Equation (5)

Wow. Thank you I actually understand that. That is really awesome.

Related to Falling to a Star With Varying Acceleration

1. How does varying acceleration affect the speed of falling to a star?

As the acceleration changes, the speed of falling to a star will also change. If the acceleration is increasing, the speed will also increase, and if the acceleration is decreasing, the speed will decrease.

2. What factors contribute to the varying acceleration when falling to a star?

The varying acceleration when falling to a star is primarily affected by the gravitational pull of the star and the distance between the object and the star. Other factors such as air resistance and the shape of the object may also play a role.

3. Can the trajectory of falling to a star change due to varying acceleration?

Yes, the trajectory of falling to a star can change if the acceleration changes. This is because the object will follow a curved path towards the star, and any changes in acceleration will affect the direction and shape of this path.

4. How does varying acceleration affect the time it takes to reach the star?

The time it takes to reach a star with varying acceleration will depend on the initial speed of the object, the distance to the star, and the rate of acceleration. Generally, an increase in acceleration will result in a shorter time to reach the star, while a decrease in acceleration will result in a longer time.

5. Is there a maximum speed when falling to a star with varying acceleration?

Yes, there is a maximum speed that an object can reach when falling to a star with varying acceleration. This speed is known as the terminal velocity and is determined by the balance between the force of gravity and air resistance acting on the object. As the acceleration changes, the terminal velocity will also change.