Famous math problems in machine learning and AI ?

In summary, there are no well-known unsolved mathematical problems specifically related to machine learning or artificial intelligence. While there is interest in using AI to solve problems, it is often more important to have a practical solution rather than a mathematically ideal one. There is also the challenge of understanding what algorithms the human brain uses, which can make it difficult to replace "design" with adaptive algorithms. There is a famous story about this problem, but its authenticity is uncertain.
Stephen Tashi
Science Advisor
"famous" math problems in machine learning and AI ?

Are there any "famous"(i.e. crucial) unsolved mathematical problems in the field of machine learning or the general study of artificial intelligence?

There is interest in programming computers to solve problems by artificial intelligence and there are certainly mathematical results published in such studies, but I can't think of any practical goal in AI that hinges on solving a crucial mathematical question.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
There are no "famous" ones - not that I can thing of.

In computer programming, it is commonly more important to have a pragmatic solution than an mathematically ideal solution.

It would, of course, be of great interest to determine exactly what algorithms the human brain uses for almost anything - since what a human does is often the success criteria for whether a robot is responding adequately.

With machine learning, there is a problem with trying to replace "design" with a broadly adaptive algorithm. The problem is that you don't really know what the computer is learning. There is actually a "famous" story that goes along with this problem described here:
https://neil.fraser.name/writing/tank/

I can't determine if the story is real or not. I first heard it in the late 1970's, so the "1980's" part is wrong. Also, I know that the DoD was contracting out for this specific type of automated photo-interpretation solution (that is, finding tanks in a forest) - so it's very credible.

Related to Famous math problems in machine learning and AI ?

1. What is the famous "Traveling Salesman Problem" and why is it important in machine learning and AI?

The Traveling Salesman Problem (TSP) is a well-known optimization problem in which the goal is to find the shortest possible route that visits every given location exactly once and then returns to the starting point. It is important in machine learning and AI because it has various real-life applications, such as route planning, circuit design, and DNA sequencing, and it is considered a benchmark problem for testing algorithms and heuristics.

2. What is the "Monty Hall Problem" and how does it relate to decision-making in AI?

The Monty Hall Problem is a famous probability puzzle in which a contestant is given the chance to switch their chosen door for another door in order to increase their chances of winning a prize. It relates to decision-making in AI because it showcases the importance of considering all available information and using logical reasoning to make the best decision, rather than relying on intuition or gut instinct.

3. Can you explain the "Halting Problem" and its implications in computer science and AI?

The Halting Problem is a fundamental problem in computer science that states it is impossible to create an algorithm that can determine whether a given program will run forever or eventually stop. In AI, this has implications for creating systems that can accurately predict or control the behavior of other systems, as it shows that there are limitations to what can be computed or predicted.

4. What is the "Curse of Dimensionality" and how does it affect machine learning and AI algorithms?

The Curse of Dimensionality refers to the challenges and limitations that arise when working with high-dimensional data. As the number of dimensions (or features) increases, the amount of data required to properly train a machine learning or AI algorithm also increases, making it more difficult to find meaningful patterns and relationships. This can lead to overfitting and inaccurate predictions.

5. How does the "Bias-Variance Tradeoff" impact the performance of machine learning and AI models?

The Bias-Variance Tradeoff is a concept that describes the relationship between the complexity of a model and its ability to generalize to new data. A model with high bias (i.e. oversimplified) will have low variance (i.e. stable predictions), while a model with high variance (i.e. overfit) will have low bias (i.e. flexible). Striking the right balance between bias and variance is crucial for creating accurate and robust machine learning and AI models.