Famous one on circuits - but more mathematical

In summary, the problem consists of a circuit having 12 resistors in the shape of a cube. The resistors make up the edges of the cube, and the current must be passed from one vertex to another. It is difficult to find the effective resistance between two vertices, depending on which vertices are considered.
rushil
Everyone probably know the famous problem consisting of a circuit having 12 resistors in the shape of a cube such that the resistors make up the edges. We pass current from one vertex and are required to find the effective resistance between this vertex and another one (the difficulty of the problem depends upon which vertexes are considered!)

In Physics, we usually solve this problem by assuming some symmetry considerations like equal partition of current or equal voltages etc. While studying Graph Theory in Alan Tucker's book, I cam across a similar example where he asked whether 2 graphs, one like the cubical circuit above and another circular graph were isomorphic. While his question ended in a negative there, I thought, could it be possible to solve the problem without any assumptions by finding a suitable, simple isomorphic graph that can be easily solved! Before getting down to some brainstorming, I just want to know, has anyone of you (or somebody you know) considered this problem before. Are you aware of a solution to the above problem? Please post what you think and your possible solutions!

Physics news on Phys.org
There's a chapter or two in Bamberg and Sternberg's A Course in Mathematics for Students of Physics

that describes electric circuit analysis using graph-theoretic and algebraic-topological methods.

http://www.citeulike.org/user/mukundn/article/416002
On the mathematical foundations of electrical circuit theory
Smale S - J. Differential Geometry, Vol. 7 (1972), pp. 193-210.

Symmetrical cubes are very easy to solve. The generalized n-dimensional cube is fun problem - I solved it back way back in my 1st year. It has some interesting properties... I believe the resistance between opposite vertices converged to a finite value as n-->infinity.

Hey guys, I'm sorry I don't have aceess to the article on mathscinet since I am high schooler in India. Please , can you send me the article by PM or mail!

rachmaninoff said:
Symmetrical cubes are very easy to solve. The generalized n-dimensional cube is fun problem - I solved it back way back in my 1st year. It has some interesting properties... I believe the resistance between opposite vertices converged to a finite value as n-->infinity.

That sounds like an interesting question. Can you state that question fully?

Related to Famous one on circuits - but more mathematical

1. What is the mathematical basis of circuits?

The mathematical basis of circuits lies in the principles of electricity and magnetism, specifically Ohm's Law and Kirchhoff's Laws. These laws describe the relationship between voltage, current, and resistance in a circuit, and allow us to analyze and understand how circuits function.

2. How are circuits used in everyday life?

Circuits are used in a wide range of everyday devices, from household appliances such as refrigerators and televisions, to electronic devices like smartphones and computers. They are also used in power distribution systems to deliver electricity to homes and businesses.

3. Can you explain the difference between series and parallel circuits?

In a series circuit, the components are connected in a single loop, so the current flows through each component in succession. In a parallel circuit, the components are connected in multiple branches, allowing the current to flow through each component simultaneously. This results in different voltage and current characteristics for each type of circuit.

4. How do you calculate the total resistance of a circuit?

To calculate the total resistance of a circuit, you can use Ohm's Law (R = V/I) or the equation for calculating resistance in parallel (1/Rt = 1/R1 + 1/R2 + 1/R3...). You will also need to know the values of the individual resistors in the circuit.

5. Why is circuit analysis important in engineering?

Circuit analysis is important in engineering because it allows us to design and troubleshoot electronic systems. By understanding the mathematical principles behind circuits, engineers can create more efficient and reliable designs and identify and fix any issues that may arise in the circuit.