Faraday Rotation Effect Lab -- sources of components....

In summary, the conversation discusses the need for a Faraday Rotation Effect Lab and the search for sources of magnets and solenoids capable of generating a strong magnetic field. The challenges of creating a 0.5T field in a specific size and material are also mentioned, along with potential solutions such as short pulses and superconducting coils. Commercial options for these solutions are available but can be expensive.
Dan LaSota
I appreciate the link to the field strength calculator. http://www.calctool.org/CALC/phys/electromagnetism/solenoid
I'm also looking for recommendations on sources for magnets. What I'm trying to do is put together a Faraday Rotation Effect Lab.

This is my Faraday Rotator, a 12 cm x 2.0 cm cylinder of something close to flint glass with a half decent Verdet Constant.
IMG_1701.jpg

Does anyone have pointers to a lab supply company with solenoids capable of 0.5T or higher?

Physics news on Phys.org
Not really my subject but I think it would be difficult to generate a field of 0.5T in that tube. For example at 1A I calculated you would need 95,400 turns of wire. At 100A it's 954 turns.

400 kA/m assuming µr of about 1, with a length of 12 cm we need 50 kA ring current.

Let's check 5000 turns at 10 A: With 2 cm diameter, the wire has a length of 314 meters. To limit heat dissipation to 100 W with copper, voltage has to be 10 V, which means 1 Ohm resistance, which needs 5 mm^2 wire cross section. At 2.5 mm between adjacent windings, only 48 windings fit next to each other, so you need 100 layers which makes the coil 25cm thick (in radius). Uhm...
The 10 A were arbitrary, but the conclusion doesn't change if we plug in other values: Double it and you half the voltage, which leads to 1/4 the resistance at 1/2 the total length, so cross-section goes up by a factor 2 and we arrive at the same thickness again.

Very short pulses would allow a higher power dissipation, integrated cooling helps as well. Superconducting coils can easily provide such a magnetic field. All those solutions exist commercially, but they are quite expensive.

Likes CWatters

FAQ: Faraday Rotation Effect Lab -- sources of components....

1. What is the Faraday Rotation Effect?

The Faraday Rotation Effect is a phenomenon in which the rotation of the plane of polarization of an electromagnetic wave passing through a magnetic material is observed. This effect was first discovered by Michael Faraday in 1845.

2. What are the sources of components used in a Faraday Rotation Effect Lab?

The sources of components used in a Faraday Rotation Effect Lab include a laser or other source of polarized light, a magnetic material such as a rare-earth magnet, a polarizer, and a detector such as a photodiode or photomultiplier tube.

3. How does a Faraday Rotation Effect Lab work?

In a Faraday Rotation Effect Lab, a polarized light source is directed through a magnetic material, which causes the plane of polarization to rotate. The amount of rotation is dependent on the strength of the magnetic field and the properties of the material. A polarizer is then used to analyze the rotated light, and a detector measures the intensity of the light, which can be used to calculate the rotation angle.

4. What are the applications of the Faraday Rotation Effect?

The Faraday Rotation Effect has various applications in physics and engineering, including measuring magnetic fields, studying magnetic materials, and in optical communication technologies. It is also used in the study of astrophysics to measure the magnetic fields of celestial bodies.

5. Are there any limitations or challenges in conducting a Faraday Rotation Effect Lab?

One limitation of a Faraday Rotation Effect Lab is that the rotation angle is very small and can be easily affected by external factors such as vibrations or temperature changes. Additionally, the accuracy of the measurements can be limited by the sensitivity of the detector and the stability of the light source. Proper calibration and control of external factors are important in obtaining accurate results from a Faraday Rotation Effect Lab.