Fast Intersection of Crafts: Tau Ceti-Sol Trip

In summary: This looks about right, yes: about 30 years observed time for #1 to reach the rendezvous, minus about 20 years observed time for #2 to reach the rendezvous, gives about 10 years.Thanks very much.
Chinspinner
Hi,

I am currently plotting a piece of writing and wonder if anyone could give me some feedback on the following: -

plan_zpsc323cbd0.png

Space craft 1 is a beam/ sail craft with constant acceleration of 1 G to a speed of 0.2c. It travels along a straight line between Tau Ceti and Sol (circa 12 ly). Ship time for the journey is circa 60 years and observed time circa 61.5 years.

Space craft 2 is a Gravitational craft on an intercept course with spacecraft 1. It has gravitational shielding and as such is able to accelerate and manoeuvre at high speed without liquefying the occupants. It travels at 0.8 c. For the sake of argument the course it takes is an altitude of a (more or less) isosceles triangle between the three stars. This is a distance of circa 10 ly. Ship time for the journey is circa 12.5 years and observed time circa 21 years.

My back-of-a-fag-packet working is that it would take spacecraft 1 circa 30 years observed time to reach the mid-point of its journey. Therefore spacecraft 2 would need to leave circa 10 years after the departure of spacecraft 1 to intersect it.

Is this all accurate or am I missing a trick somewhere?

Thanks in advance.

Chinspinner

Edited to add: also, can anyone point me in the direction of some decent literature on gravitational shielding?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Chinspinner said:
My back-of-a-fag-packet working is that it would take spacecraft 1 circa 30 years observed time to reach the mid-point of its journey. Therefore spacecraft 2 would need to leave circa 10 years after the departure of spacecraft 1 to intersect it.

This looks about right, yes: about 30 years observed time for #1 to reach the rendezvous, minus about 20 years observed time for #2 to reach the rendezvous, gives about 10 years.

PeterDonis said:
This looks about right, yes: about 30 years observed time for #1 to reach the rendezvous, minus about 20 years observed time for #2 to reach the rendezvous, gives about 10 years.

Thanks very much.

FAQ: Fast Intersection of Crafts: Tau Ceti-Sol Trip

What is the "Fast Intersection of Crafts: Tau Ceti-Sol Trip"?

The Fast Intersection of Crafts: Tau Ceti-Sol Trip is a proposed method for achieving faster interstellar travel between the Tau Ceti and Sol systems. It involves using multiple spacecrafts to create a gravitational slingshot effect that would accelerate the spacecrafts to near-light speed.

How does the "Fast Intersection of Crafts" method work?

The method involves launching multiple spacecrafts from different points in the Tau Ceti system towards the Sol system. These spacecrafts would then use the gravity of planets and other celestial bodies to slingshot towards each other, increasing their speed as they approach. This would result in a faster overall journey compared to a single spacecraft traveling the same distance.

What are the potential benefits of using this method?

The use of the Fast Intersection of Crafts method could significantly reduce travel time between the Tau Ceti and Sol systems, making interstellar travel more feasible. It could also potentially reduce the amount of fuel and resources needed for such a journey.

What are the challenges and limitations of this method?

One of the main challenges is accurately predicting the trajectories of the spacecrafts and ensuring they align in the right place and time for the slingshot effect to work. This method also requires a significant amount of planning and coordination between the spacecrafts. Additionally, the acceleration and deceleration involved in the slingshot could potentially be dangerous for the crew on board.

Has this method been tested or used in real-life scenarios?

While the concept of using a gravitational slingshot for interstellar travel has been used in science fiction, the Fast Intersection of Crafts method has not been tested or used in real life. It is still a theoretical concept that would require further research and development before it can be implemented in practical applications.

Back