Fayyazuddin Quantum Mechanics Book

In summary: Thanks. I have a bunch of QM texts already. Also the first edition of the Fayyaz Uddin's text I believe was published in 2000. I think the book is pretty good. I was actually quite surprised not to see any reviews of the book in amazon (or anywhere else).Reviews on Amazon are paid by the publisher. Perhaps the publisher didn't see it as a success in the Western side of Pakistan, so he didn't bother spending money on advertising it through Amazon. He just "planted" it there to ensure sales in India and Pakistan through the world's biggest shop.Reviews on Amazon are paid by the publisher.
smodak
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
In general when learning Quantum Mechanics, you will need to reference multiple books as no one book is the best resource. This book seems relatively new, published in 2013 and you may not find anyone here who's used it in a class. I noticed also that there's no comments pro or con on the book at Amazon which makes it difficult to choose it over a more established book.

However, the author Fayyaz Uddin seems to have an esteemed career in theoretical physics and that could be a plus for the book:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fayyazuddin

If you can peruse the book see if it talks to you and teaches you something new and that might indicate it will be useful.

I used Schiff's book, decades ago and found it to be a very brisk treatment of QM with the details left to the student. I came away with awe for QM but not with a great understanding but that was my fault I'm sure. I had to search out other books to help me understand what Schiff was getting at.

Anyway, here's some earlier PF threads on the best QM books:

https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/best-first-book-on-quantum-mechanics.761909/

https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/best-textbook-for-quantum-mechanics.13990/

jedishrfu said:
In general when learning Quantum Mechanics, you will need to reference multiple books as no one book is the best resource. This book seems relatively new, published in 2013 and you may not find anyone here who's used it in a class. I noticed also that there's no comments pro or con on the book at Amazon which makes it difficult to choose it over a more established book.

However, the author Fayyaz Uddin seems to have an esteemed career in theoretical physics and that could be a plus for the book:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fayyazuddin

If you can peruse the book see if it talks to you and teaches you something new and that might indicate it will be useful.

I used Schiff's book, decades ago and found it to be a very brisk treatment of QM with the details left to the student. I came away with awe for QM but not with a great understanding but that was my fault I'm sure. I had to search out other books to help me understand what Schiff was getting at.

Anyway, here's some earlier PF threads on the best QM books:

https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/best-first-book-on-quantum-mechanics.761909/

https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/best-textbook-for-quantum-mechanics.13990/

Thanks. I have a bunch of QM texts already. Also the first edition of the Fayyaz Uddin's text I believe was published in 2000. I think the book is pretty good. I was actually quite surprised not to see any reviews of the book in amazon (or anywhere else).

Reviews on Amazon are paid by the publisher. Perhaps the publisher didn't see it as a success in the Western side of Pakistan, so he didn't bother spending money on advertising it through Amazon. He just "planted" it there to ensure sales in India and Pakistan through the world's biggest shop.

dextercioby said:
Reviews on Amazon are paid by the publisher.
If so, then how do you explain that some reviews are negative?

Likes smodak
Not all, the 5 star ones, sorry for the imprecise statement.

Hm, I've once written a 5 star review on Amazon without having been paid by the publisher? Should I ask them for money or is it barred already ;-(?

Likes smodak and Demystifier

Related to Fayyazuddin Quantum Mechanics Book

1. What is the main focus of Fayyazuddin's Quantum Mechanics book?

The main focus of Fayyazuddin's Quantum Mechanics book is to provide a comprehensive understanding of the fundamental principles and mathematical framework of quantum mechanics, a branch of physics that studies the behavior of matter and energy at the atomic and subatomic levels.

2. Who is the author of the Fayyazuddin Quantum Mechanics book?

The author of the Fayyazuddin Quantum Mechanics book is Fayyazuddin, a renowned physicist who has made significant contributions to the field of theoretical physics, particularly in the area of quantum field theory.

3. Is the Fayyazuddin Quantum Mechanics book suitable for beginners?

While the book does cover the fundamental principles of quantum mechanics, it is geared towards readers with a background in physics and mathematics. It may be challenging for beginners to fully understand the concepts without prior knowledge of these subjects.

4. How does the Fayyazuddin Quantum Mechanics book differ from other books on the same topic?

The Fayyazuddin Quantum Mechanics book stands out for its rigorous mathematical approach and in-depth coverage of advanced topics such as quantum field theory and relativistic quantum mechanics. It also includes numerous exercises and problems to reinforce understanding.

5. Is the Fayyazuddin Quantum Mechanics book still relevant in modern physics?

Yes, the book remains a valuable resource for understanding the foundations of quantum mechanics, which is still a crucial aspect of modern physics. While some of the specific examples and applications may have been updated, the fundamental principles and mathematical framework remain unchanged.