FE method, how ? (software Comsol)

In summary: According to Comsol notes, we denote M=F_p^{-1} and discretize the law by using 'variations with \Delta' : -\dfrac{1}{2} \Big [ 2M. ^t M -M_{old} . ^t M - M . ^t M_{old} \Big ]= \lambda \Delta t F^{-1} \dfrac{\partial f}{\partial \tau} FM. ^t M However, I don't understand what is stated after. I quote :"For each Gauss point, the plastic state variables (ε_p and M, respectively) and the plastic multiplier,\L
trabo
Hi all,

The plastic flow rule for large strains in a continuum medium can be written as :
[itex]-\dfrac{1}{2} \Big ( \dfrac{d}{dt}(F_p^{-1} ). ^t F_p^{-1} + F_p^{-1} . ^t \dfrac{d}{dt} ( F_p^{-1} ) \Big)= \lambda F^{-1} \dfrac{\partial f}{\partial \tau} F F_p^{-1} . ^t F_p^{-1}[/itex]
where [itex]F_p[/itex] is the plastic part of the total deformation gradient [itex]F[/itex], [itex]f[/itex] the yield surface and [itex]\tau[/itex] the Kirchhoff stress tensor.
According to Comsol notes, we denote [itex]M=F_p^{-1}[/itex] and discretize the law by using 'variations with [itex]\Delta[/itex]' :
[itex]-\dfrac{1}{2} \Big [ 2M. ^t M -M_{old} . ^t M - M . ^t M_{old} \Big ]= \lambda \Delta t F^{-1} \dfrac{\partial f}{\partial \tau} FM. ^t M [/itex]​
but I don't understand what is stated after. I quote :

For each Gauss point, the plastic state variables (ε_p and M, respectively) and the plastic multiplier,[itex]\Lambda =\lambda \Delta t[/itex], are computed by solving the above time-discretized flow rule together with the complementarity conditions
[itex]\Lambda \ge 0 \quad , \quad f \le 0 \quad , \quad \Lambda f = 0[/itex]​
This is done as follows (Ref. 4):
1- Elastic-predictor: Try the elastic solution [itex]M= M_{old}[/itex] and [itex]\Lambda=0[/itex]. If this satisfies [itex] f \le 0 [/itex] it is done.
2- Plastic-corrector: If the elastic solution does not work (this is [itex] f > 0 [/itex]), solve the nonlinear system consisting of the flow rule and the equation [itex] f=0 [/itex] using a damped Newton method.

Few things I don't understand or I'm not sure of :

1/ Gauss points stand for the mesh nodes, right ?
2/ What does "For each Gauss point the plastic strain variables are computed" mean ? We have matrices that describe the body state at all his points, that is, there is not a matrix for each point of the body, so I don't understand the beginning of their sentence.
3/ The total deformation gradient [itex]F[/itex] is also a variable, we don't know its value, so how the computing is done for [itex]M[/itex]

Regards

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
For the third point, does F depend on the boundary conditions ? For instance, if we consider a round tensile specimen with prescribed displacement at the top and below surface and with free stress on the lateral surface, can we infer F ?
Sure, we know its impqct on points at the top and below surface, but can we infer all its components ? If the total displacement vector is known at the two outer surfaces, then yes we can know all components of F, but if only the radial displacement is prescribed, some components can not be determined

Last edited:
trabo said:
Few things I don't understand or I'm not sure of :

1/ Gauss points stand for the mesh nodes, right ?
2/ What does "For each Gauss point the plastic strain variables are computed" mean ? We have matrices that describe the body state at all his points, that is, there is not a matrix for each point of the body, so I don't understand the beginning of their sentence.
3/ The total deformation gradient [itex]F[/itex] is also a variable, we don't know its value, so how the computing is done for [itex]M[/itex]

Regards

No, the Gauss points are no the mesh nodes. The Gauss Points, or Gaussian Integration Points, are internal to the elements. More can be found here (last paragraph of the page marked 11) and http://www.colorado.edu/engineering/cas/courses.d/IFEM.d/IFEM.Ch28.d/IFEM.Ch28.pdf.

Related to FE method, how ? (software Comsol)

1. What is the FE method?

The Finite Element (FE) method is a numerical technique used to solve complex engineering and physical problems by dividing them into smaller, simpler parts, or elements. It is based on the concept of approximating the solution to a differential equation by using a piecewise polynomial function over each element.

2. How does the FE method work?

The FE method works by dividing a complex problem into smaller, simpler subproblems or elements. Each element is then represented by a set of equations and boundary conditions. These equations are solved simultaneously to obtain an approximate solution for the entire problem. The FE method uses mathematical techniques such as interpolation and integration to accurately represent the behavior of the problem within each element.

3. What are the advantages of using the FE method?

One of the main advantages of the FE method is its ability to handle complex and nonlinear problems that may not have analytical solutions. It is also a versatile method that can be applied to a wide range of problems in various fields, including structural analysis, fluid dynamics, and heat transfer. Additionally, the FE method allows for the modeling of complex geometries and can provide detailed information about the behavior of a system.

4. What is Comsol and how does it relate to the FE method?

Comsol is a software package that uses the FE method to solve various engineering and scientific problems. It provides a user-friendly interface and allows for the creation of complex models and simulations. Comsol also offers a wide range of pre-defined physics and material models, making it a popular choice for researchers and engineers.

5. How accurate is the FE method and Comsol?

The accuracy of the FE method and Comsol depends on various factors, such as the number of elements used, the type of problem being solved, and the chosen physics and material models. However, when used correctly, the FE method and Comsol can provide highly accurate results, often within a few percentage points of experimental data. As with any numerical method, it is essential to validate the results and ensure that the assumptions and simplifications made during the modeling process are appropriate for the problem at hand.