How to Determine the Oxidation Number of Fe in FeCO3?

• Chemistry
  • Thread starter luanadoesnotlike
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Exercise Iron
luanadoesnotlike
Homework Statement
FeCO3
Relevant Equations
I achieved calculating the oxidation number of C and my result is x=5
Hi there,
I did an exercise and when we corrected it I realised that the oxidation number of Fe was (ll) but I don't know how can I find it.
The common name is iron (ll) nitrate and the other name, that I don't know how is called because i study this in basque, is iron (2+) nitrate trioxide (2-)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
No, it is not 5.

Plus, you listed FeCO3, but then you referred to the nitrate, so it is quite difficult to help, as in reality we don't know what the problem really is.

Related to How to Determine the Oxidation Number of Fe in FeCO3?

What is the oxidation number of Fe in FeCO3?

In FeCO3, the oxidation number of Fe (iron) is +2. This is determined by knowing the oxidation state of the other elements in the compound and ensuring that the sum of all oxidation numbers equals the overall charge of the compound, which is zero in this case.

How do you determine the oxidation number of Fe in FeCO3?

To determine the oxidation number of Fe in FeCO3, start by recognizing that CO3 (carbonate) has a charge of -2. Since FeCO3 is a neutral compound, the oxidation number of Fe must balance the -2 charge of the carbonate ion, resulting in Fe having an oxidation number of +2.

What are the oxidation states of the elements in FeCO3?

In FeCO3, the oxidation state of Fe (iron) is +2, carbon (C) in carbonate is +4, and oxygen (O) in carbonate is -2. The overall charge of the compound is neutral, so the sum of oxidation states is zero.

Why is the oxidation number of Fe in FeCO3 +2?

The oxidation number of Fe in FeCO3 is +2 because the carbonate ion (CO3) has a charge of -2. For the compound to be neutral, the oxidation number of Fe must be +2 to balance the -2 charge from the carbonate ion.

Can the oxidation number of Fe in FeCO3 be different from +2?

No, in FeCO3 the oxidation number of Fe is always +2 because the carbonate ion has a fixed charge of -2. For the compound to remain neutral, the oxidation number of Fe must be +2 to balance the overall charge.

Back