Federal A/C Unit Efficiency Standard Up

In summary, the DOE has started enforcing a new 13 SEER energy efficiency standard for all new a/c units sold in the US. This standard is a bit more stringent than the 10 SEER standard that was previously in place and requires larger coil sizes and increased refrigerant usage. The main difference between the two standards is that the 13 SEER unit requires improvements in heat transfer on both ends of the cycle, which can cost slightly more but result in a larger unit and a decrease in energy usage. It is estimated that a 13 SEER unit will pay for itself within 6 years, which is a better payback than the 10 SEER unit.
russ_watters
Mentor
I was looking through product info this morning and noticed (it got no press that I saw) that the DOE, after a protracted battle with the HVAC industry, started enforcing its new 13 SEER (up from 10 SEER) energy efficiency standard for all new a/c units sold in the US.

The primary difference between a 10 and 13 SEER unit needed to achieve the higher energy efficiency was simply increasing the coil size, improving heat transfer on both ends of the cycle. This does, however, result in larger equiment and more refrigerant, for higher costs, but the difference isn't that great compared to an ~23% reduction in energy usage for the same capacity.

I'm a big fan of this and I think the DOE should immediately start planning for the next increase. 13 SEER units have, of course, been available for years (just under the guise of "high efficiency") and utilizing things like multi-speed compressors and condenser fans, virtually every major manufacturer offers units above 15 SEER. Trane has an "up to" 19.5 SEER unit and Carrier has an "up to" 21 SEER unit.

Unfortunately, energy savings payback calculations are not easy because pricing isn't easy to obtain (you get it through your contractor), but I'll try to ballpark it (lots of guesses):

10 SEER (80% furnace) unit:
$4,000 installed
$800/ yr A/C costs (4 month season on a decent-sized house)

13 SEER (94% furnace) unit:
$5,000 installed
$616 / yr A/C costs

So that would be a $184 per year savings, or a 6 year payback. Higher efficiency (than 13 SEER) units probably cost significantly more, but part of that is due to added features that add comfort, such as better controls, variable fan speeds, and quieter operation.

Few people make decisions that over 6 years will save them money (see recent conversations on compact fluorescent bulbs), so this is one area that the government (and gung-ho engineers like me :biggrin: ) needs to give people a little kick to convince (force) them to do it.

http://www.residential.carrier.com/knowledge/efficiency/govstandards.shtml" both have good information on their websites about this change.

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Surprise. I was going through spring cleaning posts from 2006 and I found this one with @russ_watters as the OP.

Related to Federal A/C Unit Efficiency Standard Up

1. What is the purpose of the Federal A/C Unit Efficiency Standard Up?

The purpose of the Federal A/C Unit Efficiency Standard Up is to improve the energy efficiency of air conditioning units in order to reduce overall energy consumption and lower the environmental impact of cooling systems.

2. How will the Federal A/C Unit Efficiency Standard Up affect consumers?

The Federal A/C Unit Efficiency Standard Up will affect consumers by potentially increasing the cost of new air conditioning units, but also by providing long-term savings on energy bills. It will also encourage manufacturers to produce more efficient and environmentally friendly cooling systems.

3. What are the new efficiency standards for air conditioning units under the Federal A/C Unit Efficiency Standard Up?

The new efficiency standards vary depending on the type and size of the air conditioning unit. For example, central air conditioners must have a Seasonal Energy Efficiency Ratio (SEER) of at least 14, while room air conditioners must have an Energy Efficiency Ratio (EER) of at least 11.2.

4. When will the Federal A/C Unit Efficiency Standard Up go into effect?

The Federal A/C Unit Efficiency Standard Up went into effect on January 1, 2023 for most types of air conditioning units. However, some smaller units such as through-the-wall air conditioners have a later compliance date of January 1, 2025.

5. Are there any exemptions to the Federal A/C Unit Efficiency Standard Up?

Yes, there are exemptions for certain types of air conditioning units, such as those used for temporary or emergency purposes, as well as for units that are specifically designed for use in mobile homes. Additionally, some states may have their own separate efficiency standards that could exempt certain units from the federal standard.