Feedback Control Systems as an Elective

In summary, the speaker is an undergraduate mechanical engineering major seeking advice on taking an upper division EE feedback controls course. They have a basic understanding of electrical engineering concepts but are unsure of what to expect from the course. They are seeking feedback from someone who has taken a similar course.
LabGuy330
Hey everyone,

I am an undergraduate mechanical engineering major considering a EE feedback controls course as an upper division elective. I have taken ME Control Systems and am also the Lab Instructor for it this semester. I am familiar with signals, filters, sensors, controllers etc.

My questions is what to expect from a course like this? Since I don't have a very deep education in Electrical Engineering I don't want to get in over my head. My knowledge extends from op amps, transistors, diodes, integrators/differentiators, PIDs, transformers, Laplace Domain, root locus, and others.

Any feedback from someone who has taken a similar course would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Engineering news on Phys.org
You will find much of the EE material analogous to what you know from your ME course, but it's good to learn both mechanical and electrical feedback methods and stability analysis. You will use both in your work, I believe. :smile:

Related to Feedback Control Systems as an Elective

1. What is a feedback control system?

A feedback control system is a type of control system that uses a feedback loop to adjust the output based on the difference between the desired output and the actual output. This allows for self-regulation and error correction in systems, making them more efficient and accurate.

2. What are some common applications of feedback control systems?

Feedback control systems are used in a variety of fields, including engineering, robotics, biomedicine, and economics. They can be found in everyday devices such as thermostats, cruise control in cars, and automatic washing machines.

3. What are the main components of a feedback control system?

The main components of a feedback control system include a sensor to measure the output, a controller to process the feedback, and an actuator to adjust the input. These components work together to maintain the desired output.

4. How does a feedback control system differ from an open-loop control system?

In an open-loop control system, the input is predetermined and does not change based on the output. In contrast, a feedback control system continuously monitors the output and adjusts the input accordingly, allowing for more accurate and precise control.

5. What are the advantages of studying feedback control systems as an elective?

Studying feedback control systems as an elective can provide students with a strong foundation in system dynamics, control theory, and practical applications. It can also prepare students for careers in various industries and provide valuable problem-solving skills in complex systems.