Feeling inadequate as an engineering student doing fluid physics

In summary, feeling inadequate as an engineering student studying fluid physics is a common experience due to the complexity and challenge of the subject. The best way to improve understanding is through active engagement, solid understanding of principles, and seeking help when needed. Struggling with fluid physics is normal and persistence and hard work can lead to success. To stay motivated, set achievable goals and seek support. There are many resources available, such as textbooks, online tutorials, study groups, and academic services, to help with fluid physics studies.
stevenphy2
Hi all,
I have been in the physicsforum for a while already.
I am a graduate student in mechanical engineering now, studying fluid mechanics.
I did my undergraduate in mechanical engineering as well.
The kind of fluid mechanics I do is a bit mathematics and physics oriented. The best way to describe it is really fluid physics.
With an undergraduate background in engineering, I really feel I know so little about physics and mathematics.
I have been comparing myself to other physics students doing similar things. The physical intuition and mathematical maturity they have are way beyond me.
I actually did very well in my engineering classes, and I still do very great in graduate classes now. But the gap between me and other physics students in terms of research ability is so huge.
I feel like I lack a rigorous training even in mechanics. Hamiltonian? Lagrangian? I did not really learn these things in engineering classes. But these concepts seem to be really useful in theoretical fluid mechanics.
I really want to fill in the gap.
I am wondering if anyone here have the same situations here?
If you mange to fill in the gap, how did you do it? Any sharing?

Physics news on Phys.org

Hi there,

As a scientist with a background in fluid mechanics and engineering, I can relate to your situation. It is common for graduate students to feel like they are lacking in certain areas, especially when comparing themselves to others in their field. However, it's important to remember that everyone has their own strengths and weaknesses, and it's all about finding ways to improve and fill in those gaps.

One way to improve your understanding of physics and mathematics is to take additional courses or attend workshops in those subjects. Many universities offer graduate-level courses in theoretical physics and mathematics that could help you gain a deeper understanding of concepts like Hamiltonian and Lagrangian mechanics. Additionally, online resources such as lectures, tutorials, and forums can also be a great way to supplement your learning.

Another important aspect of filling in the gap is to actively engage in research and discussions with other physicists and mathematicians. This will not only help you improve your technical skills, but also develop your physical intuition and critical thinking abilities. Don't be afraid to ask questions and seek guidance from your peers and mentors.

Lastly, don't compare yourself too much to others. Every individual has their own unique journey and experiences, and it's important to focus on your own growth and progress. Keep up the hard work and dedication, and you will surely see improvements in your research abilities over time.

Best of luck on your journey!

Related to Feeling inadequate as an engineering student doing fluid physics

1. Why do I feel inadequate as an engineering student studying fluid physics?

Feeling inadequate as an engineering student studying fluid physics is a common experience, especially for students who are just starting out in their studies. This is because fluid physics is a complex and challenging subject that requires a strong foundation in physics, mathematics, and engineering principles.

2. How can I improve my understanding of fluid physics as an engineering student?

The best way to improve your understanding of fluid physics is to actively engage with the material. This includes attending lectures, participating in class discussions, completing practice problems, and seeking help from your professors or classmates when needed. It is also important to have a solid understanding of the underlying principles and to constantly review and practice them.

3. Is it normal to struggle with fluid physics as an engineering student?

Yes, it is completely normal to struggle with fluid physics as an engineering student. This subject is known to be challenging and it is common for students to feel overwhelmed or inadequate at times. It is important to remember that everyone learns at their own pace and with persistence and hard work, you can overcome any difficulties you may be experiencing.

4. How can I stay motivated when I feel inadequate in my fluid physics studies?

Motivation can be a key factor in success when studying fluid physics. To stay motivated, it can be helpful to set small achievable goals, reward yourself for progress, and seek support from peers and mentors. It is also important to remind yourself of your passion for engineering and the ultimate goal of using your knowledge to make a positive impact in the world.

5. What resources are available to help me with my studies in fluid physics as an engineering student?

There are many resources available to help students with their studies in fluid physics. These can include textbooks, online tutorials and videos, study groups, and academic support services provided by your university. It is important to utilize these resources and seek help when needed, as they can greatly enhance your understanding and success in the subject.