Feeling unmotivated, any advice?

• Thread starter Instinctlol
  • Start date
In summary, it seems like I need to break my project down into smaller more manageable tasks and keep track of what variables are in what state.
Instinctlol
I am a jr cs student. I just transferred to a university from a community college and I feel a HUGE different in terms of difficulty. I have been working on 1 assignment day and night and I can't seem to get it done. The assignment is much larger than I am used to and I am getting bugs from every little code I write.

I am starting to feel unmotivated and about to give up. Do you guys have any tips or advice for tackling these big projects? What should I do to reduce the amount of bugs I get?

Technology news on Phys.org
That's a tough one.

You could try applying the Unix philosophy of writing small functions that do one thing but do it well...functions that do not do much more than one thing at a time without confusing the matter by trying to kill two or more birds with one stone and trying to do different things within the same loop, finding yourself including 'if' statement, etc. and keeping track of several tasks all in your head at the same time.

Some of the code may be the same, but who cares...maybe at the end, with better vision, you can join things together if performance is really an objective...to start, though, clarity, debugging ease and extensibility are best.

Also, "prototype and re-write" is not that bad...don't continue a bad path, just because you started that way...some times writing something for the first gives you a better taste for it and you can come back a second time and be surprised how much better and simpler you can write it.

Good luck

Hey Instinctlol.

My advice for reducing bugs is to keep the state-space in your head for the variables and if you can't do that right now in your education, then get out a piece of paper and do it that way.

The paper should contain all the variables, it's values that exist and what they should be in order to not get a crash or non-valid behaviour.

Then look at your code and see if re-inforces what you have on paper and if you get a mis-match then that will give you a hint of where to look for errors and what to change.

Then look at where the data-flows: does it get passed to other functions? Do other functions access it? How does all this affect what you expected it to do and your paper model?

Thank these are great tips, I will consider them.

First of all, I want to commend you for transferring to a university and taking on more challenging coursework. It can be overwhelming at first, but remember that you have the skills and determination to succeed.

When facing a large project, it's important to break it down into smaller, manageable tasks. This will help you stay focused and motivated. Start by outlining the project and breaking it into smaller sections. Set achievable goals for each section and reward yourself when you complete them.

In terms of reducing the number of bugs, it's important to thoroughly test your code as you go. Don't wait until the end to test everything, as it will be much harder to fix any issues. Use debugging tools and ask for help from your peers or professors if needed. It's also a good idea to review your code regularly and make sure you are following best practices and conventions.

Remember to take breaks and take care of yourself while working on a project. It's important to maintain a healthy balance and avoid burnout. Lastly, don't be afraid to ask for help or seek guidance from your professors or classmates. They can offer valuable insights and support to help you tackle these big projects.

Keep pushing through and don't give up. You are capable of overcoming these challenges and achieving success in your studies. Good luck!

FAQ: Feeling unmotivated, any advice?

1. How can I motivate myself when I feel unmotivated?

The first step to motivate yourself when feeling unmotivated is to understand the root cause of your lack of motivation. Is it due to external factors such as stress or burnout? Or is it an internal struggle such as fear of failure or lack of interest? Once you identify the cause, you can then find ways to address it. For example, if it is stress, take a break and practice relaxation techniques. If it is fear of failure, try setting smaller, achievable goals. Remember to also focus on the potential rewards and benefits of completing the task at hand.

2. Does exercise help with motivation?

Yes, exercise has been shown to increase motivation. Physical activity releases endorphins, which are chemicals that promote feelings of happiness and well-being. Regular exercise can also improve your energy levels and reduce stress and anxiety, all of which can contribute to feeling unmotivated. Consider incorporating some form of physical activity into your daily routine, even if it's just a short walk or stretch break.

3. How can I stay motivated in the long term?

To maintain long-term motivation, it's important to have a clear understanding of your goals and why they are important to you. This will help you stay focused and committed to achieving them. Additionally, try to break down your goals into smaller, achievable tasks and celebrate each accomplishment along the way. It can also be helpful to surround yourself with supportive and motivating people, and to regularly reassess and adjust your goals as needed.

4. Are there any specific techniques or strategies for increasing motivation?

Different strategies work for different people, so it's important to find what works best for you. Some common techniques include setting SMART (specific, measurable, achievable, relevant, time-bound) goals, creating a positive and organized workspace, and using visualization or positive affirmations. It can also be helpful to eliminate distractions and prioritize tasks based on their urgency and importance.

5. Is it normal to lack motivation at times?

Yes, feeling unmotivated is a common experience and it is normal to go through periods of low motivation. It's important to recognize that motivation can fluctuate and that it's okay to take breaks and rest when needed. However, if you find that your lack of motivation is significantly impacting your daily life and goals, it may be helpful to seek support from a therapist or counselor to address underlying issues and develop effective coping strategies.