Ferris wheel momentum question

In summary, the Ferris wheel has a radius of 22 meters, and it makes one complete revolution around its axle in 20 seconds. A child of mass 38 kg, sitting at location F, is traveling with velocity < -6.9, 0, 0> m/s when the momentum is calculated.
fball558
Ferris wheel question!

Homework Statement

A common amusement park ride is a Ferris wheel (not drawn to scale). Riders sit in chairs that are on pivots so they remain level as the wheel turns at a constant rate. Assume the usual coordinate system (x to the right, y up, z out of the page, toward you.)

A particular Ferris wheel has a radius of 22 meters, and it makes one complete revolution around its axle in 20 seconds. In all of the following questions, consider this location (at the center of the axle) as the location around which we will calculate the angular momentum. At the instant shown in the diagram, a child of mass 38 kg, sitting at location F, is traveling with velocity < -6.9, 0, 0> m/s.
(location F is at the very bottom of the Ferris wheel "lowest point" I could not get the pic to get on here)

What is the momentum of the child?
= < -262.2, 0, 0 > kg·m/s ##I already found this already and it is right the next part is where my question is.

In the definition L = r x p what is the vector r ?
r = <??, ??, 0 > m need to find x and y the r here has an arrow above it
What is r perpendiculat?
r = 22 m i found this as well really just ned the x and y of r (has arrow above it)

The Attempt at a Solution

i found p from above. used La = r x p
La i said was m x r perpendicular so 38 x 22 got 836
then did 836 = r x -262.2
then got r = -3.188
but that does not sound right
any help would be great.

Physics news on Phys.org

In terms of the unit verctors i,j,k, the vector r = -22 j because it is below the origin of coordinates. Use that in your cross product and ssee how it turns out.

I still don't understand how you get the vector r.

jchojnac said:
I still don't understand how you get the vector r.

For finding angular momentum r is the displacement vector from the point of interest. For your situation you have

L = r X p = <0,-22 j, 0> X <262 i, 0,0>

If you draw a picture, the girl is at the bottom moving horizontally <i>. And the r vector is pointing down <-j>

i got it by just finding the x and y component compared to the axis.
for example, my person was at the very bottom directly below the axel
so my x component was 0. my y component was was just the negative radius. if your position is a diagonal just set up a right triangle to find the x and y components
works for me can try it for yours and see if you get it then.

Related to Ferris wheel momentum question

1. How does a Ferris wheel maintain its momentum?

A Ferris wheel maintains its momentum through the conservation of angular momentum. As the wheel rotates, its angular momentum remains constant unless an external force is applied. This means that as the wheel moves faster, its radius decreases, and vice versa.

2. What factors affect the momentum of a Ferris wheel?

The momentum of a Ferris wheel is affected by its mass, radius, and angular velocity. The greater the mass and radius of the wheel, the more momentum it will have. The angular velocity also plays a role, as a faster rotation speed will result in a higher momentum.

3. How does the momentum of a Ferris wheel impact the riders?

The momentum of a Ferris wheel does not directly impact the riders. This is because the riders are moving along with the wheel and are not experiencing any change in motion as the wheel rotates. However, the momentum of the wheel can affect the stability and smoothness of the ride for the riders.

4. Can the momentum of a Ferris wheel be changed?

Yes, the momentum of a Ferris wheel can be changed by applying an external force. For example, if a brake is applied to the wheel, it will slow down, thus decreasing its momentum. Similarly, if a motor is used to speed up the wheel, its momentum will increase.

5. Is the momentum of a Ferris wheel the same at all points?

No, the momentum of a Ferris wheel is not the same at all points. As the wheel rotates, the distance from the center varies, causing a change in the radius and therefore the momentum. At the top of the wheel, the distance from the center is greater, resulting in a higher momentum compared to the bottom of the wheel, where the distance is smaller.