Ferris Wheel - Trigonometric Function

I took it out of the first part but not the second.In summary, the Xtreme Skyflyer ride at Canada's Wonderland can be modeled by the function y=25sin[12.86(x-1.92)]+30. The amplitude is 25 meters, the period is approximately 28 seconds, the vertical translation is 30 meters, and the phase shift is 1.92 seconds. The formula for the period is 2pi/|b|, where b is the coefficient of x in the function. However, if using a calculator in radian mode, the formula becomes 360/|b|.
Sabellic
Pendulum Ride - Trigonometric Function

Homework Statement

At Canada's Wonderland, a thrill seeker can ride the Xtreme Skyflyer. This is essentially a large pendulum of which the rider is the bob. The height of the rider is given for various times:

Time(s) 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Height(m) 55 53 46 36 25 14 7 5 8 15

Find the amplitude, period, vertical translation, and phase shift for this function. [Note: that the table does not follow the bob through one complete cycle, s

Homework Equations

y=a sin [b(x-c)] + d

The Attempt at a Solution

To find "a" (amplitude)= (max - min) / 2 = (55 - 5)/2 = 25
To find "d" (axis of symmetry)= (max + min) / 2 = (55 + 5)/2 = 30

To find "b" find the Period

Period = 2p/absolute value of b

However, because this ride works as a pendulum, one cycle will be completed when there are 2 highs and 2 lows. So the bob starts at a height of 55 metres; it will then reach a low of 5 metres; it will (hypothetically) reach a height until it runs out of speed; it will then (hypothetically) return to the minimum height of 5 metres; and then, finally it will return to its start position. That is the completion of 1 cycle in a pendulum.

Because the graph is incomplete, we have just one maximum and one minimum. The maximum starts at 55 metres, and then there is a minimum at 5 metres. Therefore, we have only completed 1/4 of the cycle at 7 seconds. Roughly, a complete cycle will take 28 seconds.

Therefore Period= 2pie/b

which becomes:
28 seconds = 2pie/b
28=360/b
b=360/28
b=12.86

So the "b" value is 12.86.

To find the value of "c", I will plug in a co-ordinate value into the equation. Let us take the co-ordinate (3, 36)

Therefore:
y=asin[b(x-c)]+d; becomes:

36=25sin[12.86(3-c)]+30
6=25sin[12.86(3-c)]
6/25=sin[12.86(3-c)]
13.89=12.86(3-c)
1.08=3-c
c=3-1.08
c=1.92

And so, my final equation reads as:

y=25sin[12.86(x-1.92)]+30

However, when I enter this value into my graphing software, it looks nothing like the graph I did on paper! Do you guys see any errors in what I did?

Thank you so much in advance.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Therefore Period= 2pie/b

which becomes:
28 seconds = 2pie/b
28=360/b
b=360/28
b=12.86
You have replaced 2*pi with 360. While it's true that 2*pi radians is the same angle as 360 degrees, it's not true that 2*pi = 360.

Mark44 said:
You have replaced 2*pi with 360. While it's true that 2*pi radians is the same angle as 360 degrees, it's not true that 2*pi = 360.

I don't understand. My teacher said that The period of the graphs on transformed sine and cosine functions can be found by the following formula: 2pi/|b|.

As well, whenever I did my previous questions using 360/|b| I got the correct answer.:confused:

Sabellic said:
I don't understand. My teacher said that The period of the graphs on transformed sine and cosine functions can be found by the following formula: 2pi/|b|.

As well, whenever I did my previous questions using 360/|b| I got the correct answer.:confused:
If you're doing calculations with a calculator in degree mode, that will work. It won't work if the calculator is in radian mode.

Just think about it: pi is about 6.28, which is nowhere near 360, But pi radians is the same angle measure as 360 degrees.

Mark44 said:
If you're doing calculations with a calculator in degree mode, that will work. It won't work if the calculator is in radian mode.

Just think about it: pi is about 6.28, which is nowhere near 360, But pi radians is the same angle measure as 360 degrees.
Typo alert: 2 pi radians is the same angle measure as 360 degrees.

HallsofIvy said:
Typo alert: 2 pi radians is the same angle measure as 360 degrees.
Thanks, Halls. I actually had a factor of 2 in there momentarily and took it out.

Related to Ferris Wheel - Trigonometric Function

What is a Ferris Wheel?

A Ferris Wheel is a type of amusement ride that consists of a large, rotating wheel with passenger cars attached to the rim. It is commonly found in amusement parks, fairs, and carnivals.

How does a Ferris Wheel work?

A Ferris Wheel works by using a motor to rotate the wheel, causing the passenger cars to move up and down as they go around the wheel. The wheel is balanced by counterweights and the passenger cars are attached to the wheel with spokes and axles.

What is the purpose of a Ferris Wheel?

The purpose of a Ferris Wheel is primarily for entertainment and enjoyment. It provides a unique experience and a bird's eye view of the surrounding area. Some Ferris Wheels also serve as observation towers or landmarks.

How is trigonometry used in Ferris Wheels?

Trigonometry is used in Ferris Wheels to calculate the height and distance of the passenger cars as they go around the wheel. The height of the passenger cars is determined by the sine function, while the distance traveled around the wheel is determined by the cosine function.

Are all Ferris Wheels the same size?

No, Ferris Wheels can vary in size depending on the location and purpose. Some are small and portable for traveling carnivals, while others are large and permanent structures in amusement parks. The largest Ferris Wheel in the world is currently the High Roller in Las Vegas, which stands at 550 feet tall.