Ferris Wheel work done by net force

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of work done by forces on a person on a rotating ferris wheel. The textbook states that if the ferris wheel is rotating at a constant speed, the total work done by all forces is zero. This is possible because the force and direction of motion are orthogonal to each other, resulting in a net work of zero. However, this assumption only holds true if the ferris wheel is moving at a constant speed and does not consider initial acceleration and final deceleration. The concept of rotational kinetic energy is also mentioned to further explain the reasoning behind this principle.
PsychonautQQ
My textbook says that if you are on a ferris wheel that is rotating, the total work done by all the forces acting on your is zero. How is that possible? You are moving so isn't work being done to you?

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes you are moving, but if you get on the Ferris Wheel at the same location that you get off, then the total displacement is 0 because you ended up in the same place, therefore the net work done is 0.

the net work isn't a function of time? like when you're halfway around the Ferris wheel work has been done right?

Yes, but when the ferris wheel stops and you get off, you are in the same place that you started, the net displacement is 0, so the net work done is 0. For the first half of the turn, the ferris wheel will do some work on you, but the second half, it will do the exact same amount of negative work, cancelling out the original work it did.

PsychonautQQ said:
My textbook says that if you are on a ferris wheel that is rotating, the total work done by all the forces acting on your is zero. How is that possible? You are moving so isn't work being done to you?

Assuming ferris wheel is moving at constant speed ,the net force acting on the body will be centripetal (i.e towards the center) .The velocity of the body at any instant is tangential .Since the velocity and the force are orthogonal(perpendicular) to each other ,the net work done given by ∫F.ds will be zero.

Legaldose said:
Yes, but when the ferris wheel stops and you get off, you are in the same place that you started, the net displacement is 0, so the net work done is 0. For the first half of the turn, the ferris wheel will do some work on you, but the second half, it will do the exact same amount of negative work, cancelling out the original work it did.

The reasoning is incorrect ...

Consider the first loop which the person completes .The person starts from rests and acquires some velocity after one loop . According to this reasoning,the work done will be zero .But that is not the case .There will be some net tangential force acting on the body ,doing work,responsible for the body to acquire some velocity .According to work kinetic energy theorem ,the change in kinetic energy is the net work done by all the forces on the person.

Last edited:
So if there is a change in kinetic energy wouldn't that mean that there IS work done...? And yet you said that the direction of motion and the force are orthogonal and therefore the work done is zero..?

PsychonautQQ said:
So if there is a change in kinetic energy wouldn't that mean that there IS work done...?

The person in a ferris wheel starts from rest and gradually acquires a speed .Till the time the person starts moving with the constant speed ,work will be done .Why ? because there will be a tangential force increasing the speed of person .Since there is a force(tangential) in the direction of displacement(tangential),work will be done.

But after some time ,when the person is rotating with a constant speed ,the force will be entirely radial .Hence work done will be zero.

So,I guess,the book assumes that the ferris wheel is moving with a constant speed.

PsychonautQQ said:
And yet you said that the direction of motion and the force are orthogonal and therefore the work done is zero..?

Force and direction of motion will be orthogonal , when the person is moving with a constant speed.There is no contradiction in what i have said.

Likes 1 person
PsychonautQQ said:

hey PsychonautQQ!

The textbook assumes the condition that the ferris wheel is rotating at constant speed, it does not consider initial acceleration and final deceleration. So, without going into individual forces that are acting (which could be far complex, e.g. friction, gravity, tension, etc) we can say that since rotational kinetic energy isn't changing, the total work done must be zero by all the forces.

$$K_{rotational}=\frac{1}{2}I.ω^2$$

##ω## is angular velocity and ##I## is rotational inertia.

I hope it clears your doubt

Likes 1 person

Related to Ferris Wheel work done by net force

1. How does a Ferris Wheel work?

A Ferris Wheel works by using the force of gravity to spin the wheel and create a circular motion. The wheel is connected to a central axle, which is connected to a motor that provides the initial force to start the rotation. As the wheel turns, the seats attached to the outer rim are lifted and lowered, providing riders with a thrilling experience.

2. What is net force and how does it affect a Ferris Wheel?

Net force is the overall force acting on an object. In the case of a Ferris Wheel, the net force is the combination of all the forces acting on the wheel, including the force of gravity, the force of the motor, and any other external forces. The net force determines the speed and direction of the wheel's rotation.

3. How is work done by net force related to a Ferris Wheel?

Work is defined as the force applied to an object multiplied by the distance it moves. In the case of a Ferris Wheel, the net force is constantly doing work as the wheel rotates. The amount of work done by the net force depends on the magnitude of the force and the distance traveled by the wheel.

4. Can the net force on a Ferris Wheel be changed?

Yes, the net force on a Ferris Wheel can be changed by altering the forces acting on the wheel. For example, if the motor providing the initial force is changed, the net force will also change, affecting the speed and direction of the wheel's rotation.

5. Are there any safety considerations regarding the net force on a Ferris Wheel?

Yes, the net force on a Ferris Wheel must be carefully calculated and monitored to ensure the safety of riders. If the net force is too strong, it can cause the wheel to spin too quickly and put riders at risk. If the net force is too weak, the wheel may not rotate at all, resulting in a disappointing experience for riders.

Back