Ferromagnetism, what's happening in cylindrical magnets?

In summary, the conversation discusses the simulation of a cylindrical magnet with N and S poles at each end. The results show that the magnetic flux density (B) is more uniform in magnets with a higher aspect ratio (length/diameter). When the length is 2mm and the diameter is 6mm, the B is stronger at the periphery and weaker along the central axis. The individual is looking for help in understanding the mathematical and physical explanation behind this phenomenon.
soljiang
I've a question on ferromagnetism. I've been trying to simulating the field around a rod shape magnet, cylindrical in shape and N on one end and S on the other. I just wonder if one would expect the the B, the magnetic flux density, to be uniform in magnet. I used comsol to simulate and get different results for rods with different aspect radio.
Basically the simulation demonstrates that the higher the aspect ratio (length/diameter), the more uniform the B is in the magnets. When the length is 2mm and the diameter is 6mm (aspect ratio 1/3), then the B is very strong at the periphery of the cylinder and weaker in the middle along the central axis.
I'd really appreciate if someone could offer me some help on mathematical and physical explanation, such as physical laws and maths formula. Thank you very much!

Charles

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    31.7 KB · Views: 446
  • Capture2.PNG
    Capture2.PNG
    72.8 KB · Views: 470
  • Capture3.PNG
    Capture3.PNG
    70.2 KB · Views: 440
Physics news on Phys.org
Here's a fourth picture that shows the uniformity of the B when aspect ratio is high.

Attachments

• Capture4.png
    Capture4.png
    34.8 KB · Views: 426

FAQ: Ferromagnetism, what's happening in cylindrical magnets?

1. What is ferromagnetism and how does it work?

Ferromagnetism is a phenomenon where certain materials, such as iron, nickel, and cobalt, become permanently magnetized when exposed to a magnetic field. This is due to the alignment of the material's atomic dipoles in the same direction, creating a strong magnetic force. In cylindrical magnets, the atoms are arranged in a cylindrical shape, creating a strong magnetic field along the axis of the cylinder.

2. How are cylindrical magnets different from other types of magnets?

Cylindrical magnets have a unique shape that allows for a strong magnetic field along the axis of the cylinder. This makes them ideal for applications such as electric motors and generators, where a strong, directional magnetic field is necessary. They are also more resistant to demagnetization compared to other types of magnets.

3. What factors affect the strength of a cylindrical magnet?

The strength of a cylindrical magnet depends on several factors, including the material it is made of, the size and shape of the magnet, and the strength of the magnetic field it is exposed to. Generally, the larger the magnet and the stronger the magnetic field, the stronger the magnet will be.

4. Can the strength of a cylindrical magnet be changed?

Yes, the strength of a cylindrical magnet can be changed by altering the material it is made of, the size and shape of the magnet, and the strength of the magnetic field it is exposed to. Additionally, magnets can be magnetized or demagnetized using different methods, such as heating or exposure to a strong magnetic field in a specific direction.

5. How are cylindrical magnets used in everyday life?

Cylindrical magnets have a wide range of applications in everyday life, including in electric motors, generators, loudspeakers, magnetic storage devices, and magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) machines. They are also used in various industrial and scientific applications, such as in particle accelerators and magnetic levitation systems.

Back