Feynman Diagram Question, Antiparticle

In summary, the conversation discusses a process where a particle goes to an antifermion and a photon. The diagram for this process is straightforward, with an arrow pointing to the vertex and the photon and antifermion coming out. The conversation also touches on the concept of momentum conservation and the use of propagators and spinors in calculating the amplitude for the process. Ultimately, the answer to the question posed is that when using Dirac spinors, the signs will automatically work themselves out, making it unnecessary to worry about them in the propagator or vertex.
Hepth
Gold Member
Lets say we have a process where:
Particle B(P) -> v(p2) + k

some particle effectively goes to an antifermion and a photon, with momentums P, p2, and k.

And the diagram is just straightforward, in arrow to vertex, out photon and out antifermion from vertex.

Now the arrow on the antifermion points inward, but that's for fermion/particle number right? Momentum conservation would still be P = p2+k correct? not P +p2 = k (Arrows).

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Hepth! :smile:

Sorry, not following you :redface:

you can't have e- -> e+ + γ because the charges don't add up,

and you can't change species and have eg proton -> e+ + γ because lots of other things don't add up. :confused:

Its effective, its not e- > e+ + gamma

its actually part of a much larger diagram. I might as well say it:

M (meson) -> positron + electron + photon

Its done through a penguin diagram, but can be approximated with an effective process.

Doing so, the photon can be emitted from either of the two fermions (positron/electron)
When doing the matrix element of the photon being emitted from the positron, the "propagator" between the meson vertex and the QED vertex is a positron. My REAL questions is does this propagator change somehow. Normally, for a fermion (like on the electron-emission side) the propagator would be :

[tex]
\frac{\not q + m}{q^2 -m^2}
[/tex]

Where q is just the final electrons momentum minus the photons, or the initial mesons minus the positrons.
When the POSITRON emits the photon, do the momentum conservation rules change, or is that all taken care of in the spinors? would the propagator change, since its a "different" dirac equation.
I know I would get a sign change from the QED vertex.
would the propagator change from:
[tex]
\frac{i}{\not q -m} \rightarrow \frac{i}{-\not q -m}
[/tex]

if p1 = electron
p2 = positron
P = meson
k = photon

would the positron emission vertex have:
q = p2 + k
or because of arrows :
q = p2 -k

It seems like I'm running into problems reading papers where everyone uses different notation. Some like to mark momenta on the graphs of antiparticles with a minus already, others take it into account when doing conservation, some take it into account in the propagators. I guess what would answer my question would be if someone could, from feynman rules, write down or show me somewhere (having a hard time finding it) the amplitude for the compton, uncrossed-photon processes. One for electron, one for positron.

I know the probability will be the same, but its the sign convention I'm worrying about BEFORE squaring. Would they be:
[tex]
\bar{u}\left(- i e \gamma^{\mu}\right) \epsilon_{\mu} \frac{i \left(\not q + m\right)}{q^2-m^2} \epsilon^{*}_{\nu}\left(- i e \gamma^{\nu}\right) u
[/tex]
with [tex]q = p_f + k_2 = p_i +k_i [/tex]
[tex]
v\left(+ i e \gamma^{\mu}\right) \epsilon_{\mu} \frac{i \left(\not q + m\right)}{q^2-m^2} \epsilon^{*}_{\nu}\left(+ i e \gamma^{\nu}\right) \bar{v}
[/tex]
with [tex]q = p_i - k OR = p_i + k [/tex]

or does the propagator change in sign on the top "q", BEFORE I fill in what q is, etc.

got it

The answer to this question, I believe, has to do with the fact that when using DIRAC spinors, you never need to worry about signs in the propagator or the vertex. So, for example:

fermion-fermion-photon vertex is always [tex]\qquad ie\gamma^\mu[/tex]

fermion propagator is always [tex]\qquad\frac{i(p\!\!\!\slash+m)}{p^2-m^2}[/tex]

and the direction of the momentum vs the spinor arrow is irrelevant (so no need to distinguish between fermions and antifermions in the propagator). This would NOT be true if using Weyl spinors! But as long as you use Dirac spinors, all the signs should automatically work themselves out.

Related to Feynman Diagram Question, Antiparticle

1. What is a Feynman Diagram?

A Feynman Diagram is a visual representation of the mathematical calculations involved in particle interactions in quantum field theory. It was developed by physicist Richard Feynman in the 1940s and is used to describe the behavior of subatomic particles.

2. How do Feynman Diagrams represent antiparticles?

Feynman Diagrams use arrows to represent particles and antiparticles. The direction of the arrow indicates the direction of time, and the arrowhead indicates whether the particle is a regular particle or an antiparticle. Antiparticles are represented with arrows pointing in the opposite direction of regular particles.

3. How do antiparticles behave in a Feynman Diagram?

In a Feynman Diagram, antiparticles behave similarly to regular particles, but with opposite charges. For example, an antiparticle with a positive charge will have an arrow pointing to the left instead of the right, and its interactions with other particles will also be reversed.

4. How are antiparticles created in a Feynman Diagram?

In a Feynman Diagram, antiparticles are created when a particle and its corresponding antiparticle interact and annihilate each other, resulting in the creation of new particles. This process is known as pair production.

5. What is the significance of antiparticles in Feynman Diagrams?

Antiparticles play a crucial role in Feynman Diagrams as they allow for the conservation of various properties, such as electric charge and baryon number. They also help to explain certain phenomena, such as particle-antiparticle annihilation and the decay of particles. Additionally, the existence of antiparticles supports the concept of symmetry in the universe.