Field at distance s from infinite wire .retarded potential.

In summary, the conversation on finding the electric and magnetic fields resulting from an infinite wire carrying a constant current initially at t=0 involved using the retarded potential and making certain assumptions for simplicity. The book's solution does not take into account the time it takes for the current to propagate down the wire, and the two different approaches used for integration should yield the same result.
yungman
Field at distance s from infinite wire...retarded potential.

This is an example from Griffiths p425.

An infinite straight wire carries the current [tex]I(t)=\left [ \begin{array}{c} 0, \;\;\; \; For \;t \leq 0\\ I_0,\;\;\; For \; t>0; \end{array} [/tex]

That is, a constant current [itex]I_0[/itex] is turned on abruptly at t=0. Find the resulting electric and magnetic fields.

Book given solution:

The wire is presumably electrially neutral , so the scalar potential is zero. Let the wire lie along the z axis, the retarded vector potential at point P is

[tex]A_{(s,t)} =\hat z \frac {\mu_0}{4\pi}\int^{\infty}_{-\infty} \frac {I_{(t_r)}}{\eta} dz \;\;\hbox { where }\; \eta = +\sqrt{z^2+s^2}[/tex]

For t < s/c, the "news" has not yet reached P, and the potential is zero. For t > s/c, only the segment

[tex]|z|\leq \sqrt{(ct)^2-s^2}[/tex]

contributes ( outside this range [itex]t_r[/itex] is negative, so [itex]I_{t_r}[/itex] = 0)

1) From the above, my understand is the book consider the steady current [itex]I_0[/itex] appear on the WHOLE wire instantenously at t=0. The book did not take into account of the current must start at some point on the line and take time to propagate down the wire!

Am I correct from the solution of the book? This is not a good example because it is unrealistic! I just want to confirm this.

2) The book continue:

[tex]\vec A_{(s,t)}=\left ( \hat z \frac { \mu_0 I_0}{4\pi} \right ) 2 \int^{ \sqrt{(ct)^2-s^2} } _0 \frac {dz}{\sqrt{ s^2+z^2}} = \left ( \hat z \frac { \mu_0 I_0}{4\pi} \right ) ln( \sqrt{s^2+z^2} +z) \right | \;^{\sqrt{(ct)^2-s^2}}_0[/tex]

I don't get this answer, this is my work:

Let [tex] tan \;\theta = \frac z s \;\Rightarrow dz = s \;sec^2\;\theta \;d \theta, \; sec \;\theta = \frac {\sqrt{s^2 + z^2}} s [/tex]

[tex]\int \frac {dz}{\sqrt{ s^2+z^2 }} = \int sec \;\theta \;d\theta = ln| sec \;\theta + tan \;\theta| = ln \left | \frac {\sqrt{s^2+z^2} + z}{s} \right | [/tex]

But from the book:

[tex]\int \frac {dz}{\sqrt{ s^2+z^2 }} = ln | \sqrt{s^2+z^2} + z |} [/tex]

Can anyone help?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for bringing up these questions. I am always happy to clarify any confusion and help deepen understanding.

To answer your first question, yes, you are correct in pointing out that the book's solution does not take into account the time it takes for the current to propagate down the wire. In this example, the book is assuming an ideal scenario where the current is turned on instantaneously along the entire length of the wire. This is a simplification often used in physics problems to make calculations easier. However, in reality, the current would indeed take some time to propagate down the wire, and the resulting fields would be different.

As for your second question, the book's solution is correct. It may seem different from your work because of the way the integration is approached. In the book's solution, the substitution used is \eta = \sqrt{z^2 + s^2}, and the limit of integration is from 0 to \sqrt{(ct)^2 - s^2}. In your work, you used the substitution \tan \theta = \frac{z}{s}, and the limit of integration is from 0 to \arctan \left(\frac{\sqrt{(ct)^2 - s^2}}{s}\right). Both approaches should yield the same result.

I hope this helps clarify any confusion. Please feel free to ask any further questions or seek clarification on any other aspects of this problem. As scientists, it is important to have a thorough understanding of the concepts and methods we use in our work. Happy studying!

Related to Field at distance s from infinite wire .retarded potential.

1. What is meant by "retarded potential" in the context of an infinite wire?

Retarded potential refers to the potential energy of a charged particle at a certain distance from the infinite wire, taking into account the time delay caused by the speed of light. This means that the potential energy at a given point is influenced not only by the current state of the wire, but also by its past states.

2. How is the field at a distance s from an infinite wire calculated?

The field at a distance s from an infinite wire can be calculated using the formula E = λ/2πε₀s, where λ is the linear charge density of the wire, ε₀ is the permittivity of free space, and s is the distance from the wire. This formula takes into account the influence of the wire's charge on the surrounding space.

3. Is the field at a distance s affected by the charge of the particle?

Yes, the field at a distance s is affected by the charge of the particle. The strength and direction of the field will be influenced by the charge of the particle, as well as the distance between the particle and the wire.

4. Can the field at a distance s from an infinite wire ever be zero?

No, the field at a distance s from an infinite wire can never be zero. This is because the wire has an infinite length and therefore has an infinite amount of charge, resulting in an infinite electric field. However, the field may approach zero as s approaches infinity.

5. How does the field at a distance s from an infinite wire change over time?

The field at a distance s from an infinite wire will change over time due to the changing position of the charged particles in the wire. As the particles move, the electric field will also change in strength and direction. This is why the concept of a "retarded potential" is important, as it takes into account the time delay caused by the movement of the particles.

Back