Field Extensions and "Free Parameters" ?

Your Name]In summary, in the book "Abstract Algebra: Structures and Applications" by Stephen Lovett, the statement and remarks of Theorem 7.1.10 are discussed in Chapter 7: Field Extensions. The use of the letter t as a free parameter is introduced to show that F[t] is a subring of F(t) and to better understand the structure of field extensions. The necessity of a free parameter in mathematical problems depends on the specific context.
Math Amateur
Gold Member
MHB
I am reading "Abstract Algebra: Structures and Applications" by Stephen Lovett ...

I am currently focused on Chapter 7: Field Extensions ... ...

I need help with some remarks of Lovett pertaining to Theorem 7.1.10 ...The statement of Theorem 7.1.10 reads as follows (page 325) :View attachment 6628The remarks pertaining to Theorem 7.1.10 read as follows (page 326) :View attachment 6629I do not understand the use of 't' ... nor do I fully understand the analysis involving it ...

My specific question is as follows:
In the above remarks, Lovett writes the following:

" ... ... For example keeping \(\displaystyle t\) as a free parameter, \(\displaystyle F[t]\) is a subring of \(\displaystyle F(t)\). ... ... "What is '\(\displaystyle t\)' and why exactly are we introducing it?

Why not stick with \(\displaystyle x\) and \(\displaystyle F[x]\) and \(\displaystyle F(x)\) ... ... ?

I note that Lovett does not usually introduce a "free parameter" (whatever that is?) and happily deals with the indeterminate \(\displaystyle x\) ... ... ?? ... ... so ... indeed, one may ask when is a "free parameter" necessary and when is it not needed ... ?

Hope someone can help ...

Peter

Physics news on Phys.org

Dear Peter,

In abstract algebra, we often use letters such as x, y, or z as variables or indeterminates to represent elements in a ring or field. These letters are usually chosen arbitrarily and can be replaced with any other letter without changing the underlying mathematical concepts. In the context of field extensions, we use the letter t to represent an indeterminate in the polynomial ring F[t]. This is because t is commonly used to represent an element in the extension field F(t).

The reason for introducing t as a free parameter is to show that F[t] is a subring of F(t), which means that it contains all the elements of F(t) and is closed under addition and multiplication. This is an important result in field theory and helps us understand the structure of field extensions.

As for your question about when a free parameter is necessary, it depends on the specific problem at hand. In this case, introducing t allows us to make a clear distinction between the polynomial ring F[t] and the field of rational functions F(t), which can be helpful in understanding their relationship.

I hope this helps clarify the use of t in Theorem 7.1.10. Feel free to ask any further questions or for clarification.

Related to Field Extensions and "Free Parameters" ?

1. What is a field extension in mathematics?

A field extension is a mathematical concept that involves extending a given field (a set of numbers with defined operations) by adding new elements to it. This allows for the creation of a larger field with more complex numbers and operations.

2. How are field extensions useful in science?

Field extensions are useful in science because they provide a way to study and understand more complex mathematical structures. They are often used in physics, engineering, and other scientific fields to model and solve problems that involve higher dimensions and more intricate mathematical relationships.

3. What are the different types of field extensions?

There are two main types of field extensions: algebraic and transcendental. Algebraic extensions are created by adding solutions to polynomial equations, while transcendental extensions are created by adding solutions to transcendental equations, such as exponential or trigonometric functions.

4. What is a free parameter in a field extension?

A free parameter in a field extension is a variable that is not determined by the structure of the field itself, but rather by the specific problem or application being studied. It allows for more flexibility in solving equations and can be adjusted to fit different scenarios.

5. How do free parameters affect the structure of a field extension?

Free parameters can significantly impact the structure of a field extension, as they can change the relationships between the elements of the field. They can also introduce new elements or operations that were not previously present, making the field more complex and versatile.