How Does the Electric Field of a Moving Point Charge Differ from Its Rest Frame?

In summary, frames with a stationary and moving point charge show that the electric field lines point away from the charge in both frames, but the perpendicular components are enhanced by the gamma factor in the moving frame. The electric field and force will tend to be more vertical and stronger in the moving frame than in the rest frame, except for the field at the x-axis which remains the same. To calculate the electric field, the appropriate transformation equations must be used, as simply using the Pythagorean theorem will not give an accurate result. This concept does not apply to the gravitational field of moving masses. However, there is some discrepancy in the precise calculation due to the assumption of flat space in the answer, while space-time is actually curved.
nos
Hi everyone,

Consider two frames: the rest frame that has a stationary point charge and the moving frame which has a moving point charge.
In the rest frame the point charge has electric field lines pointing radically outward. The charge can be imagined to be surrounded by a spherical shell. In the moving frame, by length contraction, this sphere is deformed into a spheroid. The field lines still points directly away from the charge, but the perpendicular components of the field are enhanced by the gamma factor.

1. If I understand correctly, the electric field and so electric force will tend to be more vertical and also stronger in the moving frame than in the rest frame, except for the field at the x-axis which is the same in both frames?
2. To calculate this electric field, can I simply use pythagorean theorem to calculate this electric field? For example, to calculate the components of the electric field in the rest frame at an angle of 30°, we use sine and cosine to determine the components of the field. Now that I know the vertical component of the field, I also know the vertical component in the moving frame(enhcnaed by gamma factor). The electric field parallel will be the same in both frames. So now that I know vertical component and horizontal component in the moving frame, can I use pythagorean theorem to calculate the resulting field in the moving frame?
3. I suppose this does not apply to gravitational field of moving masses?

Physics news on Phys.org
nos said:
1. If I understand correctly, the electric field and so electric force will tend to be more vertical and also stronger in the moving frame than in the rest frame, except for the field at the x-axis which is the same in both frames?
Last bit is not correct - unless you think comparing the field strengths at different radii in a given frame is 'fair'. For a fixed r in the moving frame, on-axis field is reduced by factor (gamma)2 - see eqn's (10a), (10b), and following comments here: http://www.physicsinsights.org/moving_charge_1.html
2. To calculate this electric field, can I simply use pythagorean theorem to calculate this electric field? For example, to calculate the components of the electric field in the rest frame at an angle of 30°, we use sine and cosine to determine the components of the field. Now that I know the vertical component of the field, I also know the vertical component in the moving frame(enhcnaed by gamma factor).
Only if your ruler contracts along x-axis by gamma factor! But if you want to compare apples with apples, ruler should be reading the same in all directions.
The electric field parallel will be the same in both frames.
Same comment as above.
So now that I know vertical component and horizontal component in the moving frame, can I use pythagorean theorem to calculate the resulting field in the moving frame?
No - just use the appropriate transformation eqn's (8) given in above link, or equivalent.

What I think is fair is comparing the values of E in different reference frames at the same point. You are comparing the functional forms, E'(r') vs E(r), and of course you get a different answer since the point where r = r0 is not the same as the point r' = r0.

As noh pointed out, the transformation is simply Ex' = Ex, Ey' = γ Ey, the E' vector points toward the origin, and the magnitude of E' is given by the Pythagorean relation E' = √(Ex'2 + Ey'2).

nos said:
Hi everyone,

Consider two frames: the rest frame that has a stationary point charge and the moving frame which has a moving point charge.
In the rest frame the point charge has electric field lines pointing radically outward. The charge can be imagined to be surrounded by a spherical shell. In the moving frame, by length contraction, this sphere is deformed into a spheroid. The field lines still points directly away from the charge, but the perpendicular components of the field are enhanced by the gamma factor.

2. To calculate this electric field, can I simply use pythagorean theorem to calculate this electric field? For example, to calculate the components of the electric field in the rest frame at an angle of 30°, we use sine and cosine to determine the components of the field. Now that I know the vertical component of the field, I also know the vertical component in the moving frame(enhcnaed by gamma factor). The electric field parallel will be the same in both frames. So now that I know vertical component and horizontal component in the moving frame, can I use pythagorean theorem to calculate the resulting field in the moving frame?
3. I suppose this does not apply to gravitational field of moving masses?

Bill_K said:
1. Yes
2. Yes
3. Extra factor of gamma

A really good and accurate answer to this problem is tricky - Bill K's answer is a very good approximation. The extra factor of gamma comes from the fact that the total energy of the moving particle is increased by a factor of gamma, while the total charge of the moving particle is not increased.

However, if you use Bill K's answer to calculate the deflection of starlight, you'll find that the predicted deflection is off by a factor of 2.

Unfortunately, it's not easy to "fix" this error without an extended and deep discussion. A very brief and imprecise summary is that Bill K assumed that space (not space-time, just space!) was flat in computing this answer, and that it's not really flat.

Textbooks tend to not discuss this issue, alas, so it's hard to give a definitive and precise answer to the question. My own take on the issue is that the concept of curved space-time is more general than the concept of a force - while one can identify certain components of the tensors that describe the curvature of space-time as being equivalent to classical "forces" - as in Newton Cartan theory - there are other components to the tensors that describe the curvature of space-time that are not readily interpretable as a classical forces.

Thus forces can be considered to be a "subset" of curved-space time. But curved space-time includes things that can't be described numerically solely by forces.

One might also mention in passing that the magnetic forces in the electric-field case and their equivalent in the gravitational case have not been discussed at all, but are needed for the puprose of general covariance.

Thank you all for replying:)

Bill_K said:
What I think is fair is comparing the values of E in different reference frames at the same point. You are comparing the functional forms, E'(r') vs E(r), and of course you get a different answer since the point where r = r0 is not the same as the point r' = r0.
If you think I used the usual retarded field eqn's for general motion (e.g. eqn's (17), (19), here: http://fermi.la.asu.edu/PHY531/larmor/index.html); they give curved field lines even for constant velocity motion, so that is not correct. I was assuming the standard instantaneous present position form for E field of an unaccelerated moving charge - for which E field lines are always straight and directed from the charge's assumed present position.
As noh pointed out, the transformation is simply Ex' = Ex, Ey' = γ Ey, the E' vector points toward the origin, and the magnitude of E' is given by the Pythagorean relation E' = √(Ex'2 + Ey'2).
And that's why I suspected a non-standard 'velocity axis contracted' version was being used, because specifying Ex' = Ex automatically implies a contracted separation distance along x-axis by factor γ seen in the moving frame. I suppose it's ok to do that provided the reader is made aware this amounts to evaluating the field strength on the surface of an oblate spheroid and not a sphere. The latter geometry is normally assumed when one is specifying the field as a function of angle - radius r is taken to be held constant.

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to How Does the Electric Field of a Moving Point Charge Differ from Its Rest Frame?

1. What is a field of moving point charge?

A field of moving point charge is an area of space around a charged particle in which the particle's electric field is present. The strength and direction of the field is determined by the charge of the particle and its velocity.

2. How does a moving point charge create a field?

As a charged particle moves, it creates an electric field around it. This is due to the interaction between the particle's charge and the surrounding particles and fields. The field is strongest closest to the particle and decreases in strength as distance from the particle increases.

3. What is the significance of a field of moving point charge?

A field of moving point charge is significant because it helps explain the behavior of charged particles and their interactions with other particles and fields. It is also important in understanding electromagnetism and the principles behind electricity and magnetism.

4. How is a field of moving point charge calculated?

The field of a moving point charge can be calculated using Coulomb's law, which states that the force between two charged particles is directly proportional to the product of their charges and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them. This can be used to determine the strength and direction of the electric field at any point in space.

5. Can a moving point charge have a changing field?

Yes, a moving point charge can have a changing field. If the particle's velocity or charge changes, the field will also change. This is known as a time-varying field and is an important concept in electromagnetic theory.