Field transformation in Peskin-Schroeder (chapter 3)

In summary, the unitary transformation law for one-particle states can be used to derive the transformation law for the Dirac field, but it is important to note that the transformation is acting on the coordinates, not the fields themselves.
AnZa85

Homework Statement

There is something I don't understand about eq. 3.110 (there is no need of the complete equation actually) in Peskin Schroeder.
What I need to do is to use the unitary transformation law obtained for one-particle states to get the usual transformation law for the Dirac field (under Lorentz transformations).

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I've been able to obtain the law stated in P.S.
I also checked the result with the similar law for scalar field transformation and still I don't understand.
I guess I might be wrong somewhere:

I started from Peskin's law for scalar fields:

[itex]\Phi[/itex](x) [itex]\rightarrow[/itex] [itex]\Phi[/itex]'(x) = [itex]\Phi[/itex]([itex]\Lambda[/itex]-1x)

Here the book reads: the transformed field, evaluated at the boosted point, gives the same value as the original field evaluated at the point before boosting.
From this I understand that the previous relation - with explicit notation for coordinate systems - becomes:

[itex]\Phi[/itex](x(O)) [itex]\rightarrow[/itex] [itex]\Phi[/itex]'(x(O')) = [itex]\Phi[/itex]([itex]\Lambda[/itex]-1x(O'))

which gives the correct law for scalars:

[itex]\Phi[/itex](x(O)) [itex]\rightarrow[/itex] [itex]\Phi[/itex]'(x(O') = [itex]\Phi[/itex](x(O))

Now, in chapter 3.5, I find:

U([itex]\Lambda[/itex])[itex]\Psi[/itex](x)U-1([itex]\Lambda[/itex]) = [itex]\Lambda[/itex]1/2-1 [itex]\Psi[/itex]([itex]\Lambda[/itex]x)

Or the equivalent for scalar field (which is not in Peskin):

U([itex]\Lambda[/itex])[itex]\Phi[/itex](x)U-1([itex]\Lambda[/itex]) = [itex]\Phi[/itex]([itex]\Lambda[/itex]x)

That looks good, provided that I understand the change in the tranformation action due to the fact that we are transforming the ladder operators in Dirac field.
But here comes my question: In deriving these equations, no change was made on coordinate system, so to me they read:

[itex]\Phi[/itex](x(O)) [itex]\rightarrow[/itex] [itex]\Phi[/itex]'(x(O)) = [itex]\Phi[/itex]([itex]\Lambda[/itex]x(O))

Which is not the same - even accounting for the transformation change.

I apologize for the long post on such an inessential question but I could really use some help on this.
Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for your question. It seems like you are on the right track with understanding the unitary transformation law for one-particle states. However, there may be an error in the notation you are using. In the equation U(\Lambda)\Psi(x)U^-1(\Lambda) = \Lambda^{\frac{1}{2}} \Psi(\Lambda x), the transformation is actually acting on the coordinates x, not the field \Psi(x). So the correct notation would be \Psi(x) \rightarrow \Psi'(x') = \Lambda^{\frac{1}{2}} \Psi(\Lambda x). This means that the transformed field \Psi'(x') is evaluated at the boosted coordinates x', not the original coordinates x.

Now, going back to your question about the transformation law for the Dirac field, it should be written as \Phi(x(O)) \rightarrow \Phi'(x(O')) = \Phi(\Lambda x(O')). This is consistent with the transformation law for the scalar field, as you have correctly derived. The key difference here is that the transformation is acting on the coordinates x, not the fields \Phi(x).

I hope this clarifies any confusion you may have had. Keep up the good work in understanding the unitary transformation law for one-particle states and its application to the Dirac field!

Related to Field transformation in Peskin-Schroeder (chapter 3)

1. What is the purpose of field transformation in Peskin-Schroeder (chapter 3)?

The purpose of field transformation in Peskin-Schroeder is to simplify calculations and make the theory of quantum fields more manageable. By transforming fields, we can change the basis in which the fields are represented, making certain calculations easier to perform.

2. How is field transformation related to symmetry in quantum field theory?

Field transformations are closely related to symmetries in quantum field theory. In fact, field transformations are often used to identify and classify symmetries in a given theory. This allows us to better understand the underlying structure of the theory and its physical implications.

3. Can you give an example of a field transformation in Peskin-Schroeder?

One example of a field transformation in Peskin-Schroeder is the transformation from a real scalar field to a complex scalar field. This transformation allows us to simplify calculations and better describe certain physical phenomena, such as the Higgs mechanism.

4. Are there any limitations or assumptions when using field transformation in Peskin-Schroeder?

Yes, there are limitations and assumptions when using field transformation in Peskin-Schroeder. One limitation is that the transformation must be linear and invertible. Additionally, the transformation must preserve the underlying symmetries of the theory. Assumptions are also made about the behavior of the fields at infinity.

5. How does field transformation help in understanding quantum field theory?

Field transformation plays a crucial role in understanding quantum field theory. It allows us to simplify calculations and identify symmetries in a given theory. This helps us gain a deeper understanding of the underlying structure of the theory and its physical implications. Additionally, field transformation allows us to connect different fields and theories, providing a more unified understanding of quantum field theory.