Fields, one universal or several (i.e. E)?

In summary, the electric field is seen as one universal field covering the entire universe, as it has an infinite range and is a quantity that has a value everywhere. This differs from other short range fields such as the weak or strong nuclear force, which are constrained to be local. While the analogy of the electron generating the field is commonly used in classical physics, it is not accurate in quantum field theory where particles are excitations of the field rather than generators. The existence of the 4 fundamental forces is a philosophical question and not necessary for the existence of the universe.
arupel
Using the electric field as an example: Does modern physics see the electric field as one universal field covering the entire universe or because of the vast distances involved it can be several?

Physics news on Phys.org
Since the range of the electric field is infinite, it's all one field.

Khashishi said:
Since the range of the electric field is infinite, it's all one field.
By definition, a field is a quantity which has a value everywhere. Range is irrelevant. The field can be zero, but it is everywhere.

If we are dealing with short range fields such as exemplified by the weak or strong nuclear force, is it still considered as would be a long range force such as the electric field? Is it everywhere, universal as one field or is it constrained to be local, i.e. "is it several?" This may be an odd way of putting it, but excuse my lack of experise in this subject.

Arupel, it sounds like you didn't understand Orodruin's answer. Which part is unclear?

I believe I understand it now, but let me rephrase the question. Is the nature of the electric field like the nature of space in that it is everywhere and from an epistological view can be qualitatively viewed as a whole without parts (except at the Planck scale)? Is it the nature of the universe that the electric field has been granted this quality.

Or it this coincidental? Though the nature of the electric field is infinite, it comes from multiple sources. As an analogy in classical physics it woud be said that the electron generates the field. The sum of the electric fields from these sources gives the resultant fielld

In QFT it is the observation of the field that we observe it as a particle, so the analogy is wrong, but it gives the point that I am trying to make in analogy form.

arupel said:
As an analogy in classical physics it woud be said that the electron generates the field. The sum of the electric fields from these sources gives the resultant fielld
There is only one electric field. It is common to use "electric field of an electron" only because it happens to obey the superposition principle. Other fields do not.

arupel said:
In QFT it is the observation of the field that we observe it as a particle, so the analogy is wrong, but it gives the point that I am trying to make in analogy form.
I am sorry, but this to me only seems like a bunch of buzzwords strung together. Particles are not fields, they are excitations of quantum fields. The fields are everywhere.

My apologies in the way it was written. A perturbation of the field, such as an observation, gives us the representation of a particle. The particle does not exist. We only perceive it as such. That was what I was trying to say.

My question was rather an odd one. Let me try it from a different angle:
The existence of space (excluding Kant) is an absolute necessity. Without space nothing could exist.

Do the 4 fundamental forces have the same absolute necessity of existence?
My guess is no.
We can easily imagine universes where there are other forces at play.

arupel said:
Do the 4 fundamental forces have the same absolute necessity of existence?
My guess is no.
We can easily imagine universes where there are other forces at play.
This is a philosophical question rather than a physical one and therefore not very well suited for a physics discussion.

As the original post has been answered, I am going to close this thread.

Related to Fields, one universal or several (i.e. E)?

1. Is there only one type of field in the universe?

No, there are many different types of fields in the universe, such as gravitational, electromagnetic, and quantum fields. Each type of field has its own unique properties and interactions with matter.

2. How do fields affect the behavior of matter?

Fields can influence the motion and interactions of matter through the forces they exert. For example, the electromagnetic field is responsible for the attraction and repulsion of charged particles, while the gravitational field causes objects with mass to be pulled towards each other.

3. Are all fields interconnected?

While all fields are interconnected in the sense that they are all part of the fabric of the universe, they can also act independently and have their own distinct properties. For example, the electromagnetic field does not directly interact with the strong nuclear field, which is responsible for holding atomic nuclei together.

4. Can fields be created or destroyed?

Fields cannot be created or destroyed, but they can change in strength or direction. For example, an electric field can be created by moving a charged particle, and a magnetic field can be created by a current-carrying wire. However, these fields already existed in some form before they were created.

5. How do fields relate to the theory of relativity?

The theory of relativity describes how gravity arises from the curvature of space and time caused by massive objects. This means that gravity is not a force like the other fields, but rather a manifestation of the distortion of the fabric of the universe. This is known as the theory of general relativity.