Fields & Potential Homework Solutions

In summary: For finding the potential difference between the points on the x-axis at x=1 m and x=2 m, I used the following equation: Vb-Va=-∫Edl. I got Vb=-5.83x10^-5 V and Va=-2.47x10^-5 V. What does this tell me about the potential difference between the points?
ChloeFoulkes

Homework Statement

The electric field on the x-axis due to a point charge fixed at the origin is given by E=(a/x2)i, where a = 6.00 kVm and x is not equal to zero.
a) Find the magnitude and sign of the point charge
b) Find the potential difference between the points on the x-axis at x=1 m and x=2 m.
c) What is the potential energy of a proton at both positions?

Homework Equations

E=kq/^2
Vb-Va=-∫Edl

The Attempt at a Solution

a) I've got the magnitude but I am unsure how to find the charge?
b) using Vb-Va=-∫Edl, but if I am honest, I am not 100% sure how to use the equation
c) haven't attempted yet

Physics news on Phys.org
ChloeFoulkes said:

Homework Statement

The electric field on the x-axis due to a point charge fixed at the origin is given by E=(a/x2)i, where a = 6.00 kVm and x is not equal to zero.
a) Find the magnitude and sign of the point charge
b) Find the potential difference between the points on the x-axis at x=1 m and x=2 m.
c) What is the potential energy of a proton at both positions?

Homework Equations

E=kq/^2
Vb-Va=-∫Edl

The Attempt at a Solution

a) I've got the magnitude but I am unsure how to find the charge?
b) using Vb-Va=-∫Edl, but if I am honest, I am not 100% sure how to use the equation
c) haven't attempted yet

What is the magnitude of charge you have calculated ?

For finding the sign of charge ,does the Electric field points towards or away from the point charge placed at the origin ?

Last edited:
for a) i equalled a/x^2 and kq/x^2 cancelling to give q=a/k. subbing in values i got 6.67x10^-7 C. How would i know which direction the field is pointing?

Related to Fields & Potential Homework Solutions

1. What are fields and potential?

Fields refer to the physical quantities that exist at every point in space, such as electric or magnetic fields. Potential is a scalar quantity that represents the energy per unit charge at a given point in a field.

2. How do fields and potential relate to each other?

Fields and potential are closely related, with the field being the gradient of the potential. In other words, the potential determines the direction and strength of the field at any given point.

3. What are some common types of fields and potential?

Electric and magnetic fields are the most commonly studied types of fields, with corresponding electric and magnetic potentials. Other types of fields and potentials include gravitational fields and potentials, as well as quantum fields and potentials.

4. How are fields and potential used in scientific research?

Fields and potential are essential concepts in many areas of scientific research, including physics, chemistry, and engineering. They are used to model and understand physical phenomena, as well as to design and optimize technology and devices.

5. What are some applications of fields and potential in everyday life?

Fields and potential have numerous practical applications in everyday life, including electricity and magnetism in power generation and technology, gravitational fields in navigation and satellite communications, and quantum fields in modern electronics and computing.