Figuring out Primary/Secondary/Tertiary Structures

• Thread starter Qube
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Structures
In summary, the conversation discusses a problem of identifying primary alcohols, amines, ketones, and aldehydes with a given formula. The individual is unsure of a systematic way to approach this and has seen problems with up to 8 different structures. The speaker suggests starting with a straight chain and gradually moving carbons around. They also mention that such questions are not commonly asked on exams and are more for building awareness of isomers.
Qube
Gold Member

Homework Statement

In general, when presented with a problem such as write out all the primary alcohols/amines/ketones/aldehydes with this formula ________, how do I actually go about systematically figuring them out? I have seen problems with up to 8 different structures for me to figure out. How in the world do I figure it out without wasting my time drawing out a million different structures?

Physics news on Phys.org
I am not aware of any purely systematic way. If they exist, they are buried deep in a graph theory.

My approach would be to start with a straight chain, then to move one carbon around, then to move two carbons around and so on.

If it makes you happy - I have never seen such questions asked on a serious exam, they are more like a step in building your awareness of all possible isomers existing in general.

Related to Figuring out Primary/Secondary/Tertiary Structures

1. What is the difference between primary, secondary, and tertiary structures?

The primary structure of a protein refers to the linear sequence of amino acids that make up the protein. Secondary structure refers to the folding and bending of the protein chain, typically into alpha helices or beta sheets. Tertiary structure is the overall three-dimensional shape of the protein, including interactions between different parts of the protein chain and any non-amino acid components.

2. How are primary, secondary, and tertiary structures determined?

Primary structure can be determined through techniques such as Edman degradation or mass spectrometry. Secondary structure can be predicted based on the amino acid sequence using algorithms or determined experimentally through techniques such as circular dichroism or X-ray crystallography. Tertiary structure is typically determined through X-ray crystallography or nuclear magnetic resonance spectroscopy.

3. Why is it important to know the primary, secondary, and tertiary structures of a protein?

The structure of a protein is closely linked to its function, so understanding the primary, secondary, and tertiary structures can provide important insights into its biological role. Additionally, knowledge of protein structure is crucial for drug design and development, as well as for understanding and treating diseases caused by protein misfolding.

4. Can proteins have more than one tertiary structure?

Yes, proteins can have multiple tertiary structures depending on their environment and any interactions with other molecules. This phenomenon is known as protein conformational flexibility and is important for protein function and regulation.

5. Are there any tools available for predicting protein structures?

Yes, there are many computational tools and algorithms available for predicting protein structures, particularly secondary and tertiary structures. However, these predictions are not always accurate and experimental validation is still necessary to confirm a protein's structure.