Filter out Gaussian noise from data curve

In summary: For Gaussian noise, the correlation properties completely characterize it. I.e., there aren't any other independent noise properties. The key will be using assumptions on how the "real" data should behave: smoothness, correlation, monotonicity, something along those lines. The way to proceed is to figure out exactly what you DO know about the data (which is presumably less than exactly what the real curve looks like), and then apply that. But for anyone to help, you'll first have to tell us what you already know about the data.
Gerenuk
What is the best way to filter out Gaussian noise from points in a data curve? (i.e. each point of the x-y-graph is displaced in y by a random amount)

A simple running mean does it, but on the other hand it also changes the shape of the underlying real curve.

Is it possible to use the "non-correlation properties" of the noise and some smooth-behaviour-property of the data to preserve the shape the the real data curve?

Physics news on Phys.org
Gerenuk said:
A simple running mean does it, but on the other hand it also changes the shape of the underlying real curve.

Generally you will have to trade off the two effects. The goal should be lots of noise reduction with minimal disturbance to the 'real' curve. But the only way to take out the noise without changing the 'real' curve is if you already know what the real curve looks like, in which case you don't need to de-noise corrupted data in the first place.

Gerenuk said:
Is it possible to use the "non-correlation properties" of the noise and some smooth-behaviour-property of the data to preserve the shape the the real data curve?

Well, for Gaussian noise, the correlation properties completely characterize it. I.e., there aren't any other independent noise properties. The key will be using assumptions on how the "real" data should behave: smoothness, correlation, monotonicity, something along those lines. The way to proceed is to figure out exactly what you DO know about the data (which is presumably less than exactly what the real curve looks like), and then apply that. But for anyone to help, you'll first have to tell us what you already know about the data.

quadraphonics said:
Well, for Gaussian noise, the correlation properties completely characterize it. I.e., there aren't any other independent noise properties. The key will be using assumptions on how the "real" data should behave: smoothness, correlation, monotonicity, something along those lines. The way to proceed is to figure out exactly what you DO know about the data (which is presumably less than exactly what the real curve looks like), and then apply that. But for anyone to help, you'll first have to tell us what you already know about the data.

I have approximately 30 points of data. The real curve is one or two mostly Gaussian bumps spreading over 15 of the central points. Usually the remaining 15 points form a quadric background, so it's fairly smooth. The amplitude of the big bumps is about 20 times the errorbar (standard deviation) of one point.

So I'm usually interested in long wavelength structures.

FAQ: Filter out Gaussian noise from data curve

1. How can I identify if my data curve has Gaussian noise?

To identify if your data curve has Gaussian noise, you can plot the data and see if the curve appears to be symmetric and bell-shaped. You can also perform statistical tests such as the Kolmogorov-Smirnov test or the Shapiro-Wilk test to determine if the data follows a Gaussian distribution.

2. What is the most common method for filtering out Gaussian noise from data?

The most common method for filtering out Gaussian noise from data is by using a low-pass filter. This type of filter removes high-frequency components from the data, which are typically associated with noise, while preserving the lower frequency components of the curve.

3. Can I use a moving average filter to remove Gaussian noise from my data?

Yes, a moving average filter can be effective in removing Gaussian noise from data. This filter works by taking the average of a specified number of data points and using that as the new value for the central data point. However, it may not be as effective as a low-pass filter in removing noise.

4. Is it possible to completely remove all Gaussian noise from my data?

No, it is not possible to completely remove all Gaussian noise from data. This is because noise is inherent in any measurement and cannot be completely eliminated. However, using filtering techniques, you can reduce the impact of noise on your data and make it more reliable for analysis.

5. Are there any downsides to filtering out Gaussian noise from data?

Yes, there can be downsides to filtering out Gaussian noise from data. If the filter is not carefully chosen or applied, it can also remove important information from the data and distort the curve. It is important to carefully consider the trade-offs between reducing noise and preserving important features of the data when choosing a filtering method.