Filtering problem. Help with the output

• Thread starter ppoonamk
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Output
In summary, a filtering problem refers to the challenge of selecting and sorting relevant information from a larger set of data or content. It often arises in the context of information overload, where there is too much information to process effectively. In order to address this issue, various techniques and tools can be used, such as keyword filters, advanced search algorithms, and personalized recommendations. These solutions aim to streamline and refine the content that is presented to the user, making it easier to find the most relevant and useful information.
ppoonamk
1. Homework Statement

Determine the output if this signal is processed by a filter with the following transfer
functions:
[itex]u= \sum_{k=-\infty}^\infty c_n*exp(j*\pi*n*x)= \sum_{k=-\infty}^\infty rect(x-2k-.5)[/itex]

c_n = 0 for even
= 4/(j*[itex]\pi[/itex]*n) for odd
Determine the output if this signal is processed by a filter with the following transfer
functions:
a) H([itex]\xi[/itex])=exp{[itex]\phi[/itex]([itex]\xi[/itex])}
[itex]\phi[/itex]([itex]\xi[/itex])= [itex]\pi[/itex]/2 ; [itex]\xi[/itex]>0
0; [itex]\xi[/itex]=0
-[itex]\pi[/itex]/2 ; [itex]\xi[/itex]<0

Homework Equations

f(x)= 2*rect(x-.5) [itex]\otimes[/itex] .5 comb(x/2)
[itex]\otimes[/itex]- convolution.

The Attempt at a Solution

f(x) is a series of rect functions of width 1 and centered at .5, 2.5,-1.5 etc
In the frequency domain F([itex]\xi[/itex]) is a shifted since envelope with delta functions at .5 intervals.

F([itex]\xi[/itex])=2* sinc([itex]\xi[/itex])* exp(-i*pi*[itex]\xi[/itex]).comb( 2*[itex]\xi[/itex])

The filter H([itex]\xi[/itex]) is a phase filter which is equal to 1 at [itex]\xi[/itex]=0, i for [itex]\xi[/itex] >0 and -i for [itex]\xi[/itex]<0

G([itex]\xi[/itex])= H([itex]\xi[/itex])* F([itex]\xi[/itex])
I can't figure out what G([itex]\xi[/itex]) and g(x) {inverse fft} looks like. Please help me

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
ppoonamk said:
1. Homework Statement

functions:
[itex]u= \sum_{k=0}^\infty a_n*exp{j*\pi*n*x}= \sum_{k=-\infty}^\infty rect(x-2k-.5)[/itex]

a_n = 0 for even
= 4/(j*[itex]\pi[/itex]*n)

Before you start you need to correct some mistakes in the question. The given Fourier series is incorrect for given rectangular pulse train (I'm assuming that it is a rectangular pulse train and that the sum from k=infinity to infinity was a typo - which I corrected in the quote).

Also

1. If you're going to use the complex exponential form of the series on that real time function then you'll need to sum from a_n from -infinity to infinity, not from zero to infinity.

2. [itex]a_n = 0[/itex] for n even, except for a_0 which equals 1/2.

3. [itex]a_n = 1/(j n \pi)[/itex] for n odd.

4. We usually denote the coefficients of the complex series as c_n (a_n is usually reserved for the real cosine series).

Last edited:
uart said:
Before you start you need to correct some mistakes in the question. The given Fourier series is incorrect for given rectangular pulse train (I'm assuming that it is a rectangular pulse train and that the sum from k=infinity to infinity was a typo - which I corrected in the quote).

Also

1. If you're going to use the complex exponential form of the series on that real time function then you'll need to sum from a_n from -infinity to infinity, not from zero to infinity.

2. [itex]a_n = 0[/itex] for n even, except for a_0 which equals 1/2.

3. [itex]a_n = 1/(j n \pi)[/itex] for n odd.

4. We usually denote the coefficients of the complex series as c_n (a_n is usually reserved for the real cosine series).

Hi,

Thank you for correcting the typo. The series can alternatively be expressed in terms of rect and that is what I have been working on. Could you help me with the output of the filter. I know the phase change should the change the sines into cosines. I can understand what is happening but I can't figure out the math behind it

ppoonamk said:
Hi,

Thank you for correcting the typo. The series can alternatively be expressed in terms of rect and that is what I have been working on. Could you help me with the output of the filter. I know the phase change should the change the sines into cosines. I can understand what is happening but I can't figure out the math behind it

Yes I agree that the series can alternatively be represented as a single rectangular pulse convolved with an impulse train. However since the problem gave the Fourier series I thought perhaps that was how they wanted you do deal with it.

You realize that with the Fourier series your "phase filter" (also known as a Hilbert transform filter) simply turns each sine component to an equivalent cosine component.

Last edited:
BTW. There is also a typo in your filter definition.

H([itex]\xi[/itex])=exp{[itex]\phi[/itex]([itex]\xi[/itex])}

In my previous response I've assumed that you meant to write:

H([itex]\xi[/itex])=exp{[itex]j \phi[/itex]([itex]\xi[/itex])}

H(ξ)=exp{jϕ(ξ)}

Yes you are right. Sorry about having so many errors. This was the first time I was using latex.
A gentle bounce. Can anyone help me?

Look at how your filter behaves, term (pair) by term (pair), on the Fourier series.

Input term: [itex]\frac{\exp(j k \pi x) - \exp(-j k \pi x)}{j k} = \frac{2 \sin(k \pi x)} {k \pi}[/itex]

Output term: [itex]\frac{\exp(j k \pi x + j \pi/2) - \exp(-j k \pi x - j \pi/2)}{j k \pi} = \frac{2 \cos(k \pi x)} {k \pi}[/itex]

The easiest way to express the output of that filter is in terms of its Fourier series.

Here's a plot of the first 50 terms of the FS of both input and output.

Attachments

• hilbert.png
    hilbert.png
    7.7 KB · Views: 423
Last edited:

Related to Filtering problem. Help with the output

1. What is a filtering problem?

A filtering problem is a common issue in data analysis where the desired output does not accurately reflect the input due to various factors such as measurement error, noise, or bias. It refers to the challenge of separating relevant information from irrelevant or erroneous data.

2. How can I identify a filtering problem in my data?

One way to identify a filtering problem is to compare the expected output with the actual output. If there are significant discrepancies, it could indicate a filtering problem. Additionally, you can also look for patterns in the data that do not align with the expected results.

3. What are some common methods for solving a filtering problem?

There are several approaches to solving a filtering problem, including data smoothing techniques such as moving averages or filtering algorithms like the Kalman filter. Other methods include outlier detection and data preprocessing techniques like scaling or normalization.

4. How can I improve the output of my filtering process?

To improve the output of your filtering process, you can try adjusting the parameters of your chosen filtering method or using a combination of different techniques. It is also crucial to carefully evaluate the quality of your input data and make any necessary adjustments to improve its accuracy.

5. Can a filtering problem be completely eliminated?

While it is not possible to completely eliminate a filtering problem, it can be minimized with careful data collection, preprocessing, and selection of appropriate filtering techniques. It is also essential to continually evaluate and fine-tune the filtering process to ensure the best possible output.