Final Concentration: 40 µMol from .01mL Stock Solution

• Thread starter NCollege4Life
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Molarity
In summary, to calculate the final concentration of a solution, use the equation M1V1 = M2V2 where M1 is the initial molarity, V1 is the initial volume, M2 is the final molarity, and V2 is the final volume. If the amount of substance remains the same, you can also use the concentration definition to calculate the final concentration.
NCollege4Life
if i have a 40 micromolar concentration of stock solution and add .01 mL of that solution to .98mL of water, what is my final concentration.

Thanks for any help!

Physics news on Phys.org
NCollege4Life said:
if i have a 40 micromolar concentration of stock solution and add .01 mL of that solution to .98mL of water, what is my final concentration.

Thanks for any help!

What is the final volume of your solution?

sorry! .99 mL

Does the number of moles in the final solution differ from the number of moles in initial solution?

--
methods

no, same

Last edited:
so any help?

Use the equation relating the initial molarity to the final molarity and volume:

M1V1 = M2V2

NCollege4Life said:
so any help?

My question was a hint. If amount of substance have not changed, why don't you calculate initial amount of substance and use concentration definition to calculate final concentration?

--
methods

Related to Final Concentration: 40 µMol from .01mL Stock Solution

1. What is the meaning of "Final Concentration: 40 µMol from .01mL Stock Solution"?

The phrase "Final Concentration: 40 µMol from .01mL Stock Solution" refers to the concentration of a solution after it has been diluted using a stock solution. It means that a final concentration of 40 micromoles (µMol) has been achieved by mixing .01 milliliters (mL) of a stock solution with additional solvent.

2. How is the final concentration of 40 µMol calculated from a .01mL stock solution?

The final concentration is calculated by dividing the number of moles of solute in the final solution (40 µMol) by the total volume of the solution (in liters). In this case, the total volume would be .01 mL (or 0.00001 L). This calculation would result in a final concentration of 40,000 µMol/L or 40 µMol/mL.

3. Why is it important to know the final concentration of a solution?

Knowing the final concentration of a solution is important because it determines the strength or potency of the solution. It is also necessary for accurately performing experiments and calculations, as well as properly diluting solutions for practical use.

4. What is a stock solution?

A stock solution is a concentrated solution that is used to prepare more dilute solutions. It typically contains a known amount of a solute (such as a chemical or compound) dissolved in a specific volume of solvent. Stock solutions are commonly used in laboratory settings to ensure consistent and accurate concentrations of solutions.

5. How is the concentration of a stock solution determined?

The concentration of a stock solution is typically determined through measurement and calculation. The amount of solute is measured using a scale or pipette, and the volume of solvent is measured using a graduated cylinder or pipette. The concentration is then calculated by dividing the amount of solute by the volume of solvent.