Final speed of particle far away from rings with opposite charges

risakapal
Homework Statement
As shown in the figure, a pair of rings of radius R are separated by a distance AR, where A=4, and are aligned with their symmetry axes along the z-axis. The rings have equal but opposite charges. The ring on the left carries charge -q, and the ring on the right carries charge q.

A positively charged particle with charge Q and mass m is released from rest on the z-axis a distance BR, where B = 3 to the right of the midpoint between the charged rings.

Derive an expression for the final speed v of the particle when it is very far away from the ring system in terms of the Coulomb constant k. Keep numerical values exact
Relevant Equations
V = kq/r
U = vq
KE = 1/2mv^2
Screenshot 2024-02-10 at 10.08.02 PM.png
2 Charged Rings.png

When I submitted it, this answer was incorrect.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Looks right.

Likes MatinSAR and SammyS
risakapal said:
It's not a good idea to update a post after someone has replied, as I didn't see this update. You should have added a new post to this thread.

Likes MatinSAR
risakapal said:
Do you know what the official answer is?
Is it checked by software or a person?
The expression could be put in various forms, e.g. ##\sqrt{\frac {kQq\sqrt 2}{mR}(1-\frac 1{\sqrt{13}})}##

Likes PeroK and SammyS
haruspex said:
Do you know what the official answer is?
Is it checked by software or a person?
The expression could be put in various forms, e.g. ##\sqrt{\frac {kQq\sqrt 2}{mR}(1-\frac 1{\sqrt{13}})}##
I do not know the official answer. The question is automatically graded. Previously, I have not had issues with the form of the expression, but it may be the case here?

risakapal said:
I do not know the official answer. The question is automatically graded. Previously, I have not had issues with the form of the expression, but it may be the case here?
Maybe.
I see the identical question at https://www.chegg.com/homework-help...gned-symmetry-axes-along-axis-rings-q67223093, where it claims it to be solved, but the solution is paywalled.

Anyone have a Chegg account? I'm not hopeful that a) their solution is correct, and b) differs from yours.

risakapal said:
I don't see how you could agree on an exact format for an expression like that. For example, there are some people who believe you should never have a square root in a denominator.

The answer $$ v = \sqrt { \frac { k Q q \sqrt { 2 } } { m R } ( 1 - \frac { 1 } { \sqrt { 13 } } ) } $$ is definitely a correct and acceptable answer. But the answer in a form like $$ v = \sqrt { 1,022 \frac { k Q q } { m R } } $$ is not a correct answer because numerical values must be kept exact.

PeroK said:
I don't see how you could agree on an exact format for an expression like that. For example, there are some people who believe you should never have a square root in a denominator.
I don't know how smart these systems can be at checking equivalence of algebraic forms.

It worked! I simplified the 1/x1/2. Thanks for the help.

FAQ: Final speed of particle far away from rings with opposite charges

1. What determines the final speed of a particle far away from rings with opposite charges?

The final speed of a particle far away from rings with opposite charges is determined by the initial kinetic and potential energy of the particle, as well as the electric field created by the rings. The conservation of energy principle plays a crucial role in determining the final speed.

2. How does the distance between the rings affect the final speed of the particle?

The distance between the rings affects the electric field distribution and, consequently, the potential energy landscape experienced by the particle. A larger distance between the rings generally results in a weaker electric field at the midpoint, which can influence the particle's acceleration and final speed.

3. Does the mass of the particle influence its final speed?

Yes, the mass of the particle influences its final speed. According to the conservation of energy, the kinetic energy gained by the particle (which depends on its mass) will be equal to the change in potential energy as it moves through the electric field. Therefore, a particle with a larger mass will have a different final speed compared to a lighter particle, given the same initial conditions.

4. How do the magnitudes of the charges on the rings affect the particle's final speed?

The magnitudes of the charges on the rings directly affect the strength of the electric field created by the rings. A stronger electric field results in a greater force acting on the particle, which can lead to a higher final speed, assuming other conditions remain constant.

5. What role does the initial velocity of the particle play in determining its final speed?

The initial velocity of the particle contributes to its initial kinetic energy. According to the conservation of energy, the sum of the initial kinetic and potential energies will equal the sum of the final kinetic and potential energies. Therefore, a higher initial velocity (and thus higher initial kinetic energy) will generally result in a higher final speed, assuming the particle's potential energy change remains the same.

Back