Final year project in electromagnetics/RF/Photonics

In summary, the conversation discusses the topic of choosing a final year project for an electronic systems engineering degree. The individual expresses their interest in RF engineering and electromagnetics, and mentions their university's involvement with CERN. They also mention their preference for a project with a strong mathematical component and ask for project ideas. The responder suggests reading industry trade journals to identify current problems and solutions, and emphasizes the importance of becoming familiar with industry problems in engineering.
shpongle
Hello everyone this is my first post on PhysicsForums

I am in my second year of electronic systems engineering degree and I have to choose a final year project. I am really enjoying the modules on RF engineering and electromagnetics, especially electromagnetics is just too interesting :smile:

I have chosen the engineering discipline of my final year project to be RF/electromagnetic/Photonics. My university is actively involved with CERN, so one of the project applications is in particle accelerators. However, I can choose a project application in communication as well!

Could you please suggest me some project ideas for my final year. I really like maths a lot (calculus, vectors, complex number) and I am comfortable with visualizing it. it would be nice if you could recommend a 'mathematical project' idea!

Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
My standard answer to "tell me what project I should do?" questions is that the point is for you to figure that out.

In engineering this means becoming familiar with what sorts of problems are currently faced by "the industry".

The best source for that is to read industry trade journals: the entire purpose of these are to communication problems and solutions of the industry so every single article is pure gold for getting ideas for projects that are timely and relevant.

For electromagnetics this means trades like RF & Microwave, Antenna Systems and Technology, Above Ground Level, Microwave Journal, RF Design/Defense Electronics, Wireless Week, Wireless Design and Development, etc.

If you are familiar with Internet Rule 34, it applies to trade journals as well.

Thanks a lot! I think it is an important advice, to read the journals and identify the problems/project ideas.

Related to Final year project in electromagnetics/RF/Photonics

1. What is the purpose of a final year project in electromagnetics/RF/Photonics?

A final year project in electromagnetics/RF/Photonics is designed to allow students to apply the knowledge and skills they have acquired throughout their studies to a specific research topic in this field. It provides an opportunity for students to gain hands-on experience and develop their critical thinking, problem-solving, and research skills.

2. How do I choose a suitable final year project topic in electromagnetics/RF/Photonics?

Choosing a suitable final year project topic can be challenging, but it is essential to select a topic that aligns with your interests and strengths. It is also crucial to consider the availability of resources and the support of your supervisor. Consulting with your professors and researching current trends in the field can also help in selecting a suitable topic.

3. What are some common types of final year projects in electromagnetics/RF/Photonics?

Some common types of final year projects in electromagnetics/RF/Photonics include theoretical research projects, experimental projects, and design projects. Theoretical research projects involve literature review and mathematical analysis of a specific topic, while experimental projects involve conducting experiments and analyzing data. Design projects focus on creating a new device or system using electromagnetics/RF/Photonics principles.

4. Do I need prior experience in electromagnetics/RF/Photonics to do a final year project?

While prior experience in electromagnetics/RF/Photonics can be helpful, it is not necessary to do a final year project in this field. The purpose of a final year project is to enhance your understanding and skills in this area, and your supervisor will provide guidance and support throughout the project.

5. How can a final year project in electromagnetics/RF/Photonics benefit me in my future career?

A final year project in electromagnetics/RF/Photonics can benefit you in several ways. It allows you to demonstrate your knowledge and skills to potential employers and provides practical experience in conducting research, which is valuable in many industries. It also enables you to develop problem-solving and critical thinking skills, which are essential in any scientific career.