Financial mathematics-recurrence relations

• Thread starter 99butterfly
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Relations
WNlIEFzc3VyYW5jZSBhcyBhbiBJbm5vdmF0aW9uIGEgU3Vycm91cCBncmFpbiBtaWVjZSBvZiAzMDAwMCB0b25uZXMgaGVsZCBpbiBhIHdhcmVob3VzZXkuZWNob1llYXJzIDUlcyBvZiB0aGUgZ3JhaW4gaXMgZWF0ZW4gYnkgbWljZS5cbkFjY291bnQgYXJtb3IhIDM
99butterfly
A person has inherited a surplus grain mountain of 30000 tonnes held in a warehouse.each year 5% of the grain is eaten by mice.The person is obliged to add N tonnes each year.find the maximum of N such that mountain will decrease in size.

This is what I have understood the problem.

Initial amount=30000 Tonnes
Each year 5% loss implies remaining amount is 95%.
N tonnes is added each yer.

So I can form the recurrence relation as x_n=0.95 x_n-1+N

But how an I find the maximum of N?

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
99butterfly said:
A person has inherited a surplus grain mountain of 30000 tonnes held in a warehouse.each year 5% of the grain is eaten by mice.The person is obliged to add N tonnes each year.find the maximum of N such that mountain will decrease in size.

This is what I have understood the problem.

Initial amount=30000 Tonnes
Each year 5% loss implies remaining amount is 95%.
N tonnes is added each yer.

So I can form the recurrence relation as x_n=0.95 x_n-1+N

But how an I find the maximum of N?

The Attempt at a Solution

First: please write the recurrence correctly. What you have written means
[tex] x_n = 0.95 x_n - 1 + N,[/tex] but maybe you really mean
[tex] x_n = 0.95 x_{n-1} + N.[/tex] If that is the case, use parentheses:
x_n = 0.95 x_(n-1) + N.

Anyway, What is x_0 (assuming time 0 is the beginning of the first year). What is x_1? (Just write it down in detail). Then, what is x_2? Continue for one or two more steps until you see the pattern.

RGV

FAQ: Financial mathematics-recurrence relations

1. What is financial mathematics and how is it related to recurrence relations?

Financial mathematics is a field of study that applies mathematical methods and models to analyze and solve financial problems. Recurrence relations, also known as difference equations, are equations that describe a sequence of numbers in terms of previous terms in the sequence. In financial mathematics, recurrence relations are used to model and predict the behavior of financial systems over time.

2. How are recurrence relations used in financial forecasting?

Recurrence relations are used in financial forecasting to predict future values of financial variables such as stock prices, interest rates, and currency exchange rates. By analyzing patterns and trends in past data, recurrence relations can be used to make predictions about future values, allowing for informed decision making in financial planning.

3. Can you give an example of a financial problem that can be solved using recurrence relations?

One example is the calculation of compound interest, which is the interest earned on both the initial principal and the accumulated interest from previous periods. This can be modeled using a recurrence relation where the future value of an investment is equal to the sum of the initial investment and the interest earned in the previous period.

4. Are there any limitations to using recurrence relations in financial mathematics?

While recurrence relations can be useful in modeling financial systems, they may not always accurately reflect real-world scenarios due to the unpredictable nature of the financial market. Additionally, they may require a significant amount of data and assumptions to be made, which can affect the accuracy of the results.

5. How can understanding recurrence relations benefit individuals in managing their personal finances?

Understanding recurrence relations can help individuals make informed decisions about how to allocate their money and plan for the future. By using recurrence relations to analyze past financial data, individuals can gain insights into their spending patterns and use this information to make better financial choices in the future.