Find 5th roots of unity solving x^5 -1=0 and use the result for sin18 and cos18

In summary, we can solve for the 5th roots of unity using the equation x^5=1 and finding the values of x_k, k = 0,1,2,3,4. Using these values, we can find the sine and cosine of 18 degrees by using the multiple-angle identity and solving for sin^2θ and cos^2θ. It is important to note that one of the values may need to be rejected due to the inequality 0 ≤ sin^2θ ≤ 1.
tonit

Homework Statement

Find 5th roots of unity solving algebraically x^5-1=0. Using the result, find sin18 and cos18

The Attempt at a Solution

[itex]
x^5 = 1\\
x = \sqrt[5]{1}[/itex]

since we have 5 roots:
[itex]
x_k, k = 0,1,2,3,4 \\ \\

x_k = e^{i\frac{2k\pi}{n}}, n=5 \\ x_0 = e^{i0} = 1\\ x_1 = e^{i\frac{2\pi}{5}} = cos\frac{2\pi}{5} + isin\frac{2\pi}{5} \\ x_2 = e^{i\frac{4\pi}{5}} = cos\frac{4\pi}{5} + isin\frac{4\pi}{5} \\ x_3 = e^{i\frac{6\pi}{5}} = cos\frac{6\pi}{5} + isin\frac{6\pi}{5} \\ x_5 = e^{i\frac{8\pi}{5}} = cos\frac{8\pi}{5} + isin\frac{8\pi}{5}[/itex]

now how do I find sin18 and cos18??

Physics news on Phys.org
Perhaps you could use de Moivre's formula

Hi tonit! :smile:

You have [itex] x_1 = e^{72i} = cos72 + isin72[/itex], where the angle is in degrees.

Can you express these in terms of cosine and sine 18? Then use the binomial expansion to the index 5 of the root you get(in terms of cos and sin 18) and equate the imaginary and real coefficients. You will get two equations, one of which you can easily solve for their values.

[itex] e^{i\frac{2\pi }{5}} = sin(18) + icos18[/itex] right?

tonit said:
[itex] e^{i\frac{2\pi }{5}} = sin(18) + icos18[/itex] right?

Yes!

I got

[itex]sin^5θ - 10sin^3θ cos^2θ + 5sinθ cos^4θ = 1[/itex]
and
[itex]i5sin^4θcosθ - i10sin^2θcos^3θ + icos^5θ = 0[/itex]

where [itex] θ = \frac{\pi}{10} = 18^{\circ}[/itex]

is this ok?

Last edited:
tonit said:
I got

[itex]sin^5θ - 10sin^3θ cos^2θ + 5sinθ cos^4θ = 1[/itex]
and
[itex]i5sin^4θcosθ - i10sin^2θcos^3θ + icos^5θ = 0[/itex]

where [itex] θ = \frac{2\pi}{5} = 18^{\circ}[/itex]

is this ok?

Yes! :smile:

Now try solving one of these equations, as a single trigonometric ratio. Which one would be easier for you to solve? :wink:

I guess the first one would be easier,

and I got

[itex]16sin^5\theta - 20sin^3\theta + 5sin\theta = 1[/itex]

I'm stuck again...:@

tonit said:
I guess the first one would be easier,

and I got

[itex]16sin^5\theta - 20sin^3\theta + 5sin\theta = 1[/itex]

I'm stuck again...:@

Actually...the second one would be easier. You have a zero in the RHS, so you can divide the equation by icosθ and get rid of a worry :wink:

alright so after simplifying I get [itex]16sin^4\theta - 12sin^2\theta + 1 = 0[/itex]

now it's pretty obvious to solve. thanks :D

tonit said:

Homework Statement

Find 5th roots of unity solving algebraically x^5-1=0. Using the result, find sin18 and cos18

The Attempt at a Solution

[itex]
x^5 = 1\\
x = \sqrt[5]{1}[/itex]

since we have 5 roots:
[itex]
x_k, k = 0,1,2,3,4 \\ \\

x_k = e^{i\frac{2k\pi}{n}}, n=5 \\ x_0 = e^{i0} = 1\\ x_1 = e^{i\frac{2\pi}{5}} = cos\frac{2\pi}{5} + isin\frac{2\pi}{5} \\ x_2 = e^{i\frac{4\pi}{5}} = cos\frac{4\pi}{5} + isin\frac{4\pi}{5} \\ x_3 = e^{i\frac{6\pi}{5}} = cos\frac{6\pi}{5} + isin\frac{6\pi}{5} \\ x_5 = e^{i\frac{8\pi}{5}} = cos\frac{8\pi}{5} + isin\frac{8\pi}{5}[/itex]

now how do I find sin18 and cos18??

I would use the multiple-angle identity.

dimension10 said:
I would use the multiple-angle identity.

Hi dimension10!
Could you please explain how, keeping in mind the OP was asked to derive the result using the roots of unity?

Infinitum said:
Hi dimension10!
Could you please explain how, keeping in mind the OP was asked to derive the result using the roots of unity?

Oh, I was thinking that he wanted help on finding the 5th roots of unity using the cosine of pi/5 and sine of pi/5.

tonit said:
alright so after simplifying I get [itex]16sin^4\theta - 12sin^2\theta + 1 = 0[/itex]

now it's pretty obvious to solve. thanks :D

Yes, but just remember you will need to reject one of the values you get as,

[tex]0 \leq sin^2\theta \leq 1[/tex]

yeah, I'll keep that in my mind :smile:

Related to Find 5th roots of unity solving x^5 -1=0 and use the result for sin18 and cos18

What is the equation for finding the 5th roots of unity?

The equation for finding the 5th roots of unity is x^5 - 1 = 0.

How do you solve for the 5th roots of unity?

To solve for the 5th roots of unity, you can use the formula x = e^(2nkπ/5), where n is an integer between 0 and 4.

What is the result of finding the 5th roots of unity?

The result of finding the 5th roots of unity is five complex numbers that are equally spaced on the unit circle.

How can you use the result of finding the 5th roots of unity to calculate sin18 and cos18?

Using the formula for the 5th roots of unity, you can find the values of sin18 and cos18 by substituting n = 1 and n = 3, respectively, into the formula and taking the imaginary and real parts of the resulting complex numbers.

Why is finding the 5th roots of unity important in mathematics?

Finding the 5th roots of unity is important in mathematics because it allows us to solve complex equations and calculate trigonometric functions using simpler methods. It also has applications in fields such as engineering and physics.