Find a 2x2 matrix A such that A^2=-I

• Thread starter seanthinks
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Matrix
In summary, the author got stuck after setting up the system of linear equations and was not able to solve for A. He then tried to express A as a matrix and was not able to find a solution. If you have ##a=-d##, the second and third equations are satisfied. This leaves you with ##bc=-1-a^2##.
seanthinks
This is a problem from Lang's Introduction to Linear Algebra. The problem statement is:

Find a 2 x 2 matrix A such that A2= ##\begin{pmatrix} -1 & 0 \\ 0 & -1 \\ \end{pmatrix}## = -I

The solution is available in the answer section of the book, but it is not shown how the author comes up with the solution.

My initial attempt at the problem involved multiplying both sides of the equation by the inverse of A in attempt to isolate A, that only produced IA=-A-1 which is really no more clear than what I started with.

I then attempted to express A as ##\begin{pmatrix} a & b \\ c & d \\ \end{pmatrix}## such that A2= ##\begin{pmatrix} a^2+bc & ab+bd \\ ca+dc & cb + d^2 \\ \end{pmatrix}##=-I, but it this didn't lead me anywhere either.

This section hasn't introduced to determinants so I certain that isn't a part of the approach. What am I missing?

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
seanthinks said:
I then attempted to express A as ##\begin{pmatrix} a & b \\ c & d \\ \end{pmatrix}## such that A2= ##\begin{pmatrix} a^2+bc & ab+bd \\ ca+dc & cb + d^2 \\ \end{pmatrix}##=-I, but it this didn't lead me anywhere either.

Where'd you get stuck with this approach? It will work.

vela said:
Where'd you get stuck with this approach? It will work.

I got stuck after setting it up as a system of linear equations. I had $$ a^2 + bc = -1 \\ ab + bd = 0 \\ ca + dc = 0 \\ cb + d^2 = -1 $$ which when I solved yielded ##a = -d##, which means ##a^2=d^2##.

Then I get stuck on either ##ab + bd## or ##ca + dc## because that means either ##a, b, c, d## can be zero. But if ##b, c = 0## then that implies ##a^2=-1## which isn't true in ## \mathbb {R} ##.

Did you consider the possibility ##a=d=0##?

seanthinks said:
I got stuck after setting it up as a system of linear equations. I had $$ a^2 + bc = -1 \\ ab + bd = 0 \\ ca + dc = 0 \\ cb + d^2 = -1 $$ which when I solved yielded ##a = -d##, which means ##a^2=d^2##.

Then I get stuck on either ##ab + bd## or ##ca + dc## because that means either ##a, b, c, d## can be zero. But if ##b, c = 0## then that implies ##a^2=-1## which isn't true in ## \mathbb {R} ##.
If you have ##a=-d##, the second and third equations are satisfied. This leaves you with ##bc=-1-a^2##. You should be able to find three numbers which satisfy the one equation.

vela said:
If you have ##a=-d##, the second and third equations are satisfied. This leaves you with ##bc=-1-a^2##. You should be able to find three numbers which satisfy the one equation.
Ohhhh okay, I think the problem I'm having is that when I get there I see the solutions as being either ##b = -1/c## or ##c = -1/b##, neither of which seemed particular illuminating. And the solutions 1 and -1, while obvious seemed like I was just blindly guessing rather than reasoning them out. Why not 6 and -1/6 and so forth. But I see now that any solutions x and -1/x would simply be scalar multiples of 1 and -1.

Actually, scratch that last part, the error in my thinking is glaring to me now lol

Thanks for your help!

Related to Find a 2x2 matrix A such that A^2=-I

1. How do I find a 2x2 matrix A such that A^2=-I?

To find a 2x2 matrix A such that A^2=-I, you can start by writing out the general form of a 2x2 matrix: A = [a b; c d]. Then, square this matrix to get A^2 = [a^2 + bc, ab + bd; ac + cd, bc + d^2]. Set this equal to -I = [-1 0; 0 -1] and solve the resulting system of equations to find the values of a, b, c, and d.

2. Why does A^2=-I require a 2x2 matrix instead of a larger one?

A 2x2 matrix is the smallest size that can satisfy the equation A^2=-I. This is because any larger matrix would have more than 4 elements, which would result in a system of equations with more than 4 unknowns. Since A^2=-I only has 4 unknowns (the elements of A), a 2x2 matrix is the most efficient size to use.

3. How many solutions are there for A^2=-I?

There are an infinite number of solutions for A^2=-I. This is because once you find one solution, you can multiply it by any scalar value (a number) and still have a valid solution. For example, if A = [1 0; 0 -1], then A^2 = [-1 0; 0 -1] = -I. But A = [2 0; 0 -2] also satisfies the equation.

4. Can there be a complex solution for A^2=-I?

Yes, there can be a complex solution for A^2=-I. In fact, there are an infinite number of complex solutions as well. This is because the elements of A can be any complex numbers that satisfy the equations, not just real numbers.

5. What applications does the equation A^2=-I have in science?

The equation A^2=-I has applications in many areas of science, including physics and computer science. In physics, this equation is related to the concept of symmetry, where certain physical systems exhibit the same behavior even when they are transformed. In computer science, this equation is used in various algorithms, such as in image processing and cryptography.