Find A: 3-Digit Number from Abc = a + b + c

• MHB
  • Thread starter Albert1
  • Start date
In summary: So, there are only finitely many numbers to check.In summary, the conversation discusses the problem of finding a 3-digit number A that is equal to the sum of the factorials of its own digits. It is mentioned that there are only finitely many such numbers and the next term after 145 is yet to be discovered. The concept of factorions and their upper and lower bounds is also introduced. The conversation concludes with the proof that there are only four known numbers with this property.
Albert1
A=abc=a!+b!+c!

here A is a 3-digit number

find A

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Re: abc=a!+b!+c!

Are a, b, and c digits or are they positive integers?

eddybob123 said:
Are a, b, and c digits or are they positive integers?

A=100a+10b+c=a!+b!+c!

a,b,c $ \subset$ { 0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9 }

and a$\neq 0$

find A

145 = 1! + 4! + 5!
reason

none of abc can be > 5 as 6! = 720 and 7! = 5040 > 1000

one of them that is b or c= 5 ( a cannot be 5 as 5! = 120 and 5! + 4! + 3! < 200)

so a = 1, b= 5, c = ? or a = 1, b = ? , c = 5 ( it has to be < 5)

if a = 1 , b = 5 we get 1 + 120 + c ! > 150 and < 160

so c! > 29 so there is no c

if a = 1, c = 5 we get 1 + 120 + b! = 105 + 10 b

so b = 4

This is a very nice problem, Albert.

Actually, there are only finitely many numbers which are sum of the factorial of their own digits. (Prove why)

The number 145 is the penultimate term of the sequence of such numbers. If you don't mind, Albert, I give it as an exercise to find out the next term (via-computer approaches are welcome).;)

Balarka

mathbalarka said:
This is a very nice problem, Albert.

Actually, there are only finitely many numbers which are sum of the factorial of their own digits. (Prove why)

The number 145 is the penultimate term of the sequence of such numbers. If you don't mind, Albert, I give it as an exercise to find out the next term (via-computer approaches are welcome).;)

Balarka
Here A is 3- digit number , please tell me the numbers of digits you want me to find for the next term

Albert said:
Here A is 3- digit number , please tell me the numbers of digits you want me to find for the next term

I'd prefer not telling that, that'd make things easier.

A hint may suffice, for the sake of keeping this problem fair enough :

The next number is not too large.

mathbalarka said:
I'd prefer not telling that, that'd make things easier.

A hint may suffice, for the sake of keeping this problem fair enough :

The next number is not too large.

The next one is

\(\displaystyle 40585 = 4!+0!+5!+8!+5!\)

Yes! nice, Zaid!

These are called factorions base 10. See, A014080.

Balarka

mathbalarka said:
Yes! nice, Zaid!

These are called factorions base 10. See, A014080.

Balarka

Hey Balarka , according to the link you provided there are only 4 numbers with this property , so is this proved or they are the only known integers .

ZaidAlyafey said:
Hey Balarka , according to the link you provided there are only 4 numbers with this property , so is this proved or they are the only known integers .

They are proved, yes. If you look carefully a couple of posts back you'll see that I also asked for a proof of this fact.

mathbalarka said:
They are proved, yes. If you look carefully a couple of posts back you'll see that I also asked for a proof of this fact.

ans :1, 2, 145, 40585

I wrote a program (using Excel) and found no answer for 4 digits number
and the only five digits number is 40585
the first person proved this (if using computer not allowed) must be very smart :)

Proving finiteness of the sequence is not hard. Note that any n-digit factorion has an upper bound \(\displaystyle n 9!\) and a lower one \(\displaystyle 10^{(n-1)}\). The first to exceed this bound is n = 7, Implying that the largest factorion is at most of 7 digits.

Related to Find A: 3-Digit Number from Abc = a + b + c

1. What is the purpose of finding a 3-digit number from Abc = a + b + c?

The purpose of this equation is to find a 3-digit number that satisfies the condition that the sum of its three digits (a,b,c) is equal to the sum of the individual digits (a+b+c).

2. How do I solve this equation?

To solve this equation, you can start by listing all the possible combinations of three digits (a,b,c) that add up to the same value. Then, you can test each combination to see if it satisfies the equation. Alternatively, you can use algebraic methods to solve for the unknown variables.

3. Can there be more than one solution to this equation?

Yes, there can be multiple solutions to this equation. For example, if we take the equation Abc = a + b + c, the numbers 135 and 351 both satisfy the equation since 1+3+5 = 9 and 3+5+1 = 9.

4. Is there a limit to the possible values of a, b, and c in this equation?

Yes, since we are looking for a 3-digit number, the values of a, b, and c must be between 0 and 9. This means that the possible range of values for the 3-digit number is 100 to 999.

5. How can this equation be applied in real-life situations?

This equation can be useful in various situations, such as in coding and programming to generate random 3-digit numbers with specific properties. It can also be used in mathematical puzzles and games, or in number theory to study the properties of 3-digit numbers.