Find a, b & c for \lim_{x→0} \frac{ae^x-bcos(x)+ce^{-x}}{x\cdot sin(x)}=2

• Thread starter Saitama
  • Start date
In summary, the problem appears to be that when x=0, the limit has a finite value, so a-b+c=0. Using the L'Hospital rule, a,b,c can be found. Taylor expansion can be used to find the limits for ex and e-x, but only if you know the terms up to and including x^2. Once those terms are known, solving for the limits becomes easy.
Saitama

Homework Statement

Find the values of a,b & c so that
[tex]\lim_{x→0} \frac{ae^x-bcos(x)+ce^{-x}}{x\cdot sin(x)}=2[/tex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

The only thing which came to my mind is that when we put x=0, it should be a 0/0 form since the limit has a finite value. Therefore, a-b+c=0.
I can't think of any other equation to find the values of a,b and c.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi again! :wink:

You have to use the L'Hospital rule for this. Applying the rule once will give you the second relation between a,b,c. L'Hospital'ing it another time will give you yet another relation. 3 equations, 3 variables...

Lol, i forgot to mention, i am not allowed to use L'Hospital rule here.

Bah, this is the seventh question I'm trying today without L'Hospital rule. Poor guy.

Infinitum said:
Bah, this is the seventh question I'm trying today without L'Hospital rule. Poor guy.

I too feel so poor when i am not allowed to use L'Hospital rule. This is the seventh question for you, i have been spending my whole day to solve the Limits question without L'Hospital rule. At last, when i get exhausted, i come to PF so as to get some help! :smile:

Pranav-Arora said:
I too feel so poor when i am not allowed to use L'Hospital rule. This is the seventh question for you, i have been spending my whole day to solve the Limits question without L'Hospital rule. At last, when i get exhausted, i come to PF so as to get some help! :smile:

Oh, ouch! Take a break? :smile:

I was pitying the person who made the rule, actually. No one bothers to use it :frown:

Anyway, back on topic...(trying...)

Can you use Taylor expansion?

ehild

ehild said:
Can you use Taylor expansion?

ehild

We aren't yet taught this.
I know a very little about Taylor expansion but never used it.

Are there any limits you know/can use with ex and e-x?

Bohrok said:
Are there any limits you know/can use with ex and e-x?

The one in my mind is [itex]\lim_{x\to 0} \frac{e^x-1}{x}=1[/itex].

Pranav-Arora said:
We aren't yet taught this.
I know a very little about Taylor expansion but never used it.

Well, you *have* to be able to use *something*. Otherwise, the problem can't be solved.

If you've been taught Taylor expansion, you should use it. Look up the series expansions for [itex]e^x[/itex] (from which you can immediately deduce that for [itex]e^{-x}[/itex], [itex]\sin x[/itex] and [itex]\cos x[/itex].

You'll need the actual terms up to and including [itex]x^2[/itex] since the denominator is [itex]x\sin x[/itex]. The remaining terms can be grouped together as [itex]O(x^3)[/itex] for ease.

Separate out the terms and figure out what each rational expression needs to be at the limit.

Curious3141 said:
Well, you *have* to be able to use *something*. Otherwise, the problem can't be solved.

If you've been taught Taylor expansion, you should use it. Look up the series expansions for [itex]e^x[/itex] (from which you can immediately deduce that for [itex]e^{-x}[/itex], [itex]\sin x[/itex] and [itex]\cos x[/itex].

You'll need the actual terms up to and including [itex]x^2[/itex] since the denominator is [itex]x\sin x[/itex]. The remaining terms can be grouped together as [itex]O(x^3)[/itex] for ease.

Separate out the terms and figure out what each rational expression needs to be at the limit.

No, we aren't taught Taylor expansion yet but i do know the series you are asking me.
Even if i expand and write [itex]e^{-x}[/itex], [itex]e^{-x}[/itex], [itex]\sin x[/itex] and [itex]\cos x[/itex], i can't take out the factor x^2 from the numerator.

Pranav-Arora said:
The one in my mind is [itex]\displaystyle \lim_{x\to 0} \frac{e^x-1}{x}=1[/itex].
From that you can find [itex]\displaystyle \lim_{x\to 0} \frac{e^{-x}-1}{x}[/itex]

Rewrite your original expression as:

[itex]\displaystyle \lim_{x→0} \frac{a(e^x-1)+a-(a+c)\cos(x)+c(e^{-x}-1)+c}{x\sin(x)}[/itex]

Then, the identity, [itex]\displaystyle 1-\cos(x)=2\sin^2\left(\frac{x}{2}\right)[/itex] may get you nearly home.

SammyS said:
From that you can find [itex]\displaystyle \lim_{x\to 0} \frac{e^{-x}-1}{x}[/itex]

Rewrite your original expression as:

[itex]\displaystyle \lim_{x→0} \frac{a(e^x-1)+a-(a+c)\cos(x)+c(e^{-x}-1)+c}{x\sin(x)}[/itex]

Then, the identity, [itex]\displaystyle 1-\cos(x)=2\sin^2\left(\frac{x}{2}\right)[/itex] may get you nearly home.

Thanks SammyS for the reply! :smile:
Rewriting the expression you gave me,
[tex]\lim_{x\to 0} \frac{a(e^x-1)+c(e^{-x}-1)+(a+c)(1-cos(x))}{x\sin(x)}[/tex]
I get only one equation a-c=0 or a=c, i still need one more equation.

EDIT: Thanks SammyS, i have got it! Thank you all for the help! :)

FAQ: Find a, b & c for \lim_{x→0} \frac{ae^x-bcos(x)+ce^{-x}}{x\cdot sin(x)}=2

1. What does the given limit represent?

The given limit represents the value that the given function approaches as x gets closer and closer to 0.

2. How can I find the values of a, b, and c for the limit?

To find the values of a, b, and c, you can use algebraic manipulation and substitution techniques to simplify the expression and then solve for the unknown variables.

3. Can I use L'Hopital's Rule to find the limit?

Yes, you can use L'Hopital's Rule to find the limit if the expression is in the form of indeterminate form 0/0 or ∞/∞.

4. Is there a specific method for finding the values of a, b, and c?

There is no specific method for finding the values of a, b, and c for a given limit. Different approaches may be used depending on the complexity of the expression.

5. How can I check if my values of a, b, and c are correct?

To check if your values of a, b, and c are correct, you can substitute them into the original expression and see if the resulting limit is equal to 2. You can also use a graphing calculator to visualize the function and see if it approaches 2 as x approaches 0.

Back