Find a basis for the kernel of the matrix

So, your basis is the set of three vectors you found: \{\begin{bmatrix}-2\\ 1 \\ 0 \\ 0 \\ 0\end{bmatrix},\begin{bmatrix}-3\\ 0 \\ -4 \\ 1 \\ 0\end{bmatrix},\begin{bmatrix}-5 \\ 0 \\ -6 \\ 0 \\ 1\end{bmatrix}\}.In summary, the basis of the kernel of the given matrix is \{\begin{bmatrix}-2\\ 1 \\ 0 \\ 0 \\ 0\end{bmatrix},\begin{bmatrix}-3\\ 0 \\ -4 \\ 1 \\
yeland404

Homework Statement

find a basis of the kernel of the matrix that
1 2 0 3 5
0 0 1 4 6

Homework Equations

how the vectors are linearly independent and span the kernel

The Attempt at a Solution

Does it mean I need to samplify the 1 2 0 3 5
0 0 1 4 6
into 1 0
0 1
I can not understand the statement

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you not know the definition of kernel? If so, the first thing you should thought is "Oh, wow, look at that strange word. I had better look up its definition in my textbook!":biggrin:

The kernel of a linear transformation is the space of all vectors it maps to 0. Here, that would be
[tex]\begin{bmatrix}1 & 2 & 0 & 3 & 5 \\ 0 & 0 & 1 & 4 & 6\end{bmatrix}\begin{bmatrix}a \\ b \\ c \\ d \\ e\end{bmatrix}= \begin{bmatrix}0 \\ 0 \end{bmatrix}[/tex].

That is the same as the two equations a+ 2b+ 3d+ 5e= 0 and c+ 4d+ 6e= 0. You can use those two equations to solve for two of the variables in terms of the other three so all vectors in the kernel can be written in terms of three vectors. What are those three vectors?

Last edited by a moderator:
HallsofIvy said:
Do you not know the definition of kernel? If so, the first thing you should thought is "Oh, wow, look at that strange word. I had better look up its definition in my textbook!":biggrin:

The kernel of a linear transformation is the space of all vectors it maps to 0. Here, that would be
[tex]\begin{bmatrix}1 & 2 & 0 & 3 & 5 \\ 0 & 0 & 1 & 4 & 6\end{bmatrix}\begin{bmatrix}a \\ b \\ c \\ d \\ e\end{bmatrix}= \begin{bmatrix}0 \\ 0 \end{bmatrix}[/tex].

That is the same as the two equations a+ 2b+ 3d+ 5e= 0 and c+ 4d+ 6e= 0. You can use those two equations to solve for two of the variables in terms of the other three so all vectors in the kernel can be written in terms of three vectors. What are those three vectors?

yes,I understand the define of kernel, then it turns to be kernel(T)= [tex]\begin{bmatrix}-2\\ 1 \\ 0 \\ 0 \\ 0\end{bmatrix}t+\begin{bmatrix}-3\\ 0 \\ -4 \\ 1 \\ 0\end{bmatrix}r+\begin{bmatrix}-5 \\ 0 \\ -6 \\ 0 \\ 1\end{bmatrix}s[/tex], while set b= t, d=r, e=s, so now there are the three vectors in kernel. But, how to deal with the Basis?

Last edited by a moderator:
The three vectors are a basis for the kernel. By observation I can see that they are linearly independent, and there are three of them, which is how many you need for a basis for the kernel of your linear transformation.

Related to Find a basis for the kernel of the matrix

1. What is a basis for the kernel of a matrix?

A basis for the kernel of a matrix is a set of linearly independent vectors that span the null space of the matrix. This means that any vector in the null space can be written as a linear combination of the basis vectors.

2. Why is it important to find a basis for the kernel of a matrix?

Finding a basis for the kernel of a matrix can help us understand the structure and properties of the matrix. It can also be used to solve systems of linear equations and find solutions to differential equations.

3. How do you find a basis for the kernel of a matrix?

To find a basis for the kernel of a matrix, we need to solve the homogeneous system of linear equations represented by the matrix. The pivot columns in the reduced row echelon form of the matrix will correspond to the non-free variables, and the remaining variables will be the free variables. The basis for the kernel can then be constructed using the free variables.

4. Can a matrix have more than one basis for its kernel?

Yes, a matrix can have multiple bases for its kernel. This is because there can be multiple sets of linearly independent vectors that span the null space of a matrix. However, all bases for the kernel will have the same number of vectors, which is known as the dimension of the null space.

5. How does the size of a matrix affect the basis for its kernel?

The size of a matrix does not affect the basis for its kernel. The basis for the kernel is determined by the nullity of the matrix, which is the number of free variables in the reduced row echelon form of the matrix. This is independent of the size of the matrix.