Find a Companion for Rudin: Math Analysis Help for Real Analysis Class

• Thread starter mynameisfunk
  • Start date
In summary, the person is seeking recommendations for additional resources to help them understand Rudin's "Intro to Math Analysis" book, which is known for being difficult. They have already been using a book on set theory and another on complex variables, but are looking for something else to supplement their understanding. They have a basic background in math and have not taken abstract algebra or topology. Another person suggests "Baby Rudin" or "Real Analysis" by Royden as good options, with the latter being more widely used and having solutions available online. The person also mentions that Rudin covers basic set theory and the construction of real numbers in the book.
mynameisfunk
Companion for Rudin??

Hey guys,
I am taking a real analysis or advanced calculus is what we call it here, and we are using Rudin's Intro to Math Analysis book which is notoriously not user-friendly. I have been using a book called Set Theory and metric spaces by Irving Kaplansky to help better understand basic properties of metric spaces and another book which I cannot remember the name of for properties complex variables, but I am thinking I might need something else to help me get through the class and do well. If anyone has any good reccomendations if they have taken a class where they use this book I would be thankful! I haven't taken anything but a basic class on set theory and linear algebra and 3 semesters of calculus as far as my math background goes. No abstract algebra or topology or anything like that.

Physics news on Phys.org

Actually I believe that "Baby Rudin" is known as the most user-friendly text in basic analysis. It is the standard text for a reason. I can't think of anything better but the standard text for Reals would be Real Analysis by Royden. It covers many of the same things, so perhaps another nice approach could be helpful. And since both are very widely used, the solutions to many of the problems can easily be found online. Working through the problems is how you learn the material so I wouldn't suggest just using the solutions unless you are completely stuck on something (in which case this site would also be helpful).

Also technically speaking, you shouldn't need an algebra or topology class going into Rudin, and he even covers basic set theory and reals construction if I remember correctly.

FAQ: Find a Companion for Rudin: Math Analysis Help for Real Analysis Class

What is "Find a Companion for Rudin: Math Analysis Help for Real Analysis Class"?

"Find a Companion for Rudin: Math Analysis Help for Real Analysis Class" is a resource that provides assistance and support for students studying real analysis using the textbook "Principles of Mathematical Analysis" by Walter Rudin. It offers step-by-step solutions, practice problems, and additional explanations to help students better understand the material.

Who is this resource intended for?

This resource is designed for students taking a real analysis course and using Rudin's textbook as their primary source of material. It can also be helpful for those who are self-studying real analysis and looking for additional resources and guidance.

How can this resource help me with my real analysis studies?

This resource can provide you with detailed solutions to the exercises and problems in Rudin's textbook, as well as additional practice problems and explanations. It can also help you better understand difficult concepts and provide you with a study companion to enhance your learning experience.

Are the solutions and explanations provided by this resource accurate?

Yes, the solutions and explanations provided by this resource are carefully checked and verified by experienced mathematicians and experts in real analysis. We strive to provide accurate and clear explanations to help students understand the material better.

Is this resource free to use?

Yes, this resource is completely free to use. We believe that education should be accessible to everyone, and we are passionate about helping students succeed in their studies. However, if you find this resource helpful, you can consider making a donation to support our team and keep this resource available for future students.