Find a general expression for time of impact of a paper plane

In summary, two students threw a paper plane towards a bin, hitting a desk at t=10. The trajectory can be modeled as x=t-2sin(t) and y=4-3cos(t). The students were curious about the plane's trajectory had it not been obstructed. By repeating the trajectory for different lengths of impact, they sought to find a general expression for the time of impact at 10m intervals. The attempt at a solution involved finding the y coordinate at t=10 and using co-terminal angles to find values for t when y was at the same height. However, it is unclear if this is the correct approach.
peglegmeg152

Homework Statement

Two students threw a paper plane towards the bin, hitting a desk at time t=10. The trajectory can be modeled as follows:

x=t-2sin(t), y=4-3cos(t)

Then there were a few simple questions before:

The students are curious about what would have happened to the paper plane if it had not been obstructed. By repeating the trajectory for different lengths of impact (e.g. 10 metres, 20 metres etc.) find a general expression to indicate the time of impact of the plane for student heads at 10 metre intervals.

Homework Equations

x=t-2sin(t), y=4-3cos(t)

The Attempt at a Solution

I found what y was when t=10, then found heaps of values for t when y was at that height (the height of the obstruction) using co-terminal angles… not sure whether this is right or not, but I have no idea what to do now.

Many thanks for any help.

Physics news on Phys.org
peglegmeg152 said:
I found what y was when t=10, then found heaps of values for t when y was at that height
I believe the question is asking for the times at which the horizontal distance traveled will be 10m, 20m etc. It bothers me that that makes the y coordinate irrelevant, but perhaps there were more parts to the question.
At first I thought it meant path lengths of 10m etc., but that makes it far too hard.

Related to Find a general expression for time of impact of a paper plane

1. What is the formula for finding the time of impact of a paper plane?

The general expression for the time of impact of a paper plane is t = √(2h/g), where t is the time of impact, h is the initial height of the paper plane, and g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s²).

2. Can this formula be used for any paper plane?

Yes, this formula is a general expression that can be used for any paper plane, as long as the initial height and acceleration due to gravity are known.

3. How accurate is this formula in predicting the time of impact?

This formula is a simplified model and does not take into account factors such as air resistance and wind. Therefore, it may not be entirely accurate in predicting the exact time of impact, but it can provide a good estimation.

4. What is the unit of measurement for the time of impact in this formula?

The time of impact is measured in seconds (s).

5. Can this formula be applied to other objects besides paper planes?

Yes, this formula can also be applied to other objects that are dropped or thrown from a certain height, as long as the initial height and acceleration due to gravity are known.