Find a general solution [Diff Eq]

In summary, the homework statement is to find a general solution for y''' - 6y'' + 9y' = 0. The Attempt at a Solution finds y(x) = c1y1(x) + c2y2(x) + c3y3(x) using the assumption that the answer is y.
jinksys

Homework Statement

Find a general solution for y''' - 6y'' + 9y' = 0

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that the general solution for a homogeneous DEQ is
Y(x) = c1y1(x) + c2y2(x) ... cnyn(x)

however, I am not given y1, y2 , or y3 so I am to assume that the answer is

y(x) = c1y1(x) +c2y2(x) + c3y3(x).

Physics news on Phys.org
jinksys said:

Homework Statement

Find a general solution for y''' - 6y'' + 9y' = 0

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that the general solution for a homogeneous DEQ is
Y(x) = c1y1(x) + c2y2(x) ... cnyn(x)

however, I am not given y1, y2 , or y3 so I am to assume that the answer is

y(x) = c1y1(x) +c2y2(x) + c3y3(x).

The whole point of solving a differential equation is to find the solutions. You are generally not going to be given them.

The first thing to do is to find the characteristic equation, and then solve it. Each solution r of your characteristic equation will lead to a function of the form erx.

Mark44 said:
The whole point of solving a differential equation is to find the solutions. You are generally not going to be given them.

The first thing to do is to find the characteristic equation, and then solve it. Each solution r of your characteristic equation will lead to a function of the form erx.

This is a question from my first test in differential equations:
YIH3m.jpg

We hadn't covered second-order and higher DEQs at that time so this problem must be solvable without those techniques.

I'm just wondering how I would have solved this problem not knowing the characteristic equation, laplace transforms, etc.

You don't need Laplace transforms, but that's a tough problem if you don't have any experience with second-order or third-order DEs. Your general solution will have the form y = c1y1(x) + c2y2(x) + c3y3(x), but it's hard for me to believe that this is all your instructor wanted.

The natural approach to this problem involves solving the characteristic equation, as well as knowing what needs to happen when there are repeated roots of the characteristic equation.

If I were you I would ask the professor for some guidance on this problem, given that you don't (or didn't) have the skills yet to solve the differential equation.

FAQ: Find a general solution [Diff Eq]

1. What is a general solution in differential equations?

A general solution in differential equations is a solution that includes all possible solutions to a given differential equation. It contains arbitrary constants and can be used to find specific solutions by assigning values to the constants.

2. How do you find a general solution to a differential equation?

To find a general solution to a differential equation, you need to follow these steps:

• Step 1: Solve the differential equation to eliminate the derivative term.
  • Step 2: Move all terms without a derivative to one side of the equation and all terms with a derivative to the other side.
  • Step 3: Integrate both sides of the equation with respect to the variable of integration.
  • Step 4: Simplify the resulting equation and add an arbitrary constant.
  • Step 5: Repeat Steps 1-4 for each derivative term in the original equation.

3. Can a general solution be used to find a specific solution?

Yes, a general solution can be used to find a specific solution by assigning values to the arbitrary constants included in the general solution. These values can be determined by using initial conditions or boundary conditions.

4. Are there different methods for finding a general solution to a differential equation?

Yes, there are different methods for finding a general solution depending on the type of differential equation. Some common methods include separation of variables, integrating factors, and variation of parameters.

5. Why is finding a general solution important in differential equations?

Finding a general solution is important because it allows us to find all possible solutions to a given differential equation. This is useful in applications where we need to find a specific solution for a given set of initial or boundary conditions. Additionally, a general solution can help us understand the behavior of a system over time.