Find a linear transformation such that it maps the disk onto

In summary: This equation can be solved for z by using the Quadratic Formula.In summary, the equation w = f(z) can be solved for z by using the Quadratic Formula.
Shackleford

Homework Statement

Find a linear transformation w = f(z) such that it maps the disk Δ(2) onto the right half-plane {w | Re(w) > 0} satisfying f(0) = 1 and arg f'(0) = π/2

Homework Equations

[itex] w = f(z) = \frac{az+b}{cz+d} [/itex]

[itex] z = f^{-1}(w) = \frac{dw-b}{-cw+a} [/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
[itex] z = f^{-1}(1) = \frac{d(1)-b}{-c(1)+a} = \frac{d-b}{-c+a} = 0 [/itex] ⇒ d=b

I don't think I'm quite yet finished. I've seen another method online that would start with the observation that the boundary of the open disk would necessarily map to the boundary of the right half-plane which is the imaginary axis. What's the best way to approach this?

Physics news on Phys.org
You are saying that if the point on the edge of the disk, say point ##(r, \theta)## will necessarily have real part = 0, and as you close in on zero, you will be moving at toward real part = 1, and in some way you should push out to infinity.
Start by thinking about which parts will map to which locations, then find the function that meets those needs.

Shackleford said:

Homework Statement

Find a linear transformation w = f(z) such that it maps the disk Δ(2) onto the right half-plane {w | Re(w) > 0} satisfying f(0) = 1 and arg f'(0) = π/2

Homework Equations

[itex] w = f(z) = \frac{az+b}{cz+d} [/itex]

[itex] z = f^{-1}(w) = \frac{dw-b}{-cw+a} [/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
[itex] z = f^{-1}(1) = \frac{d(1)-b}{-c(1)+a} = \frac{d-b}{-c+a} = 0 [/itex] ⇒ d=b

I don't think I'm quite yet finished. I've seen another method online that would start with the observation that the boundary of the open disk would necessarily map to the boundary of the right half-plane which is the imaginary axis. What's the best way to approach this?

Please do not call these transformations "linear"---they are not. They are "fractional linear" or maybe "linear fractional", but that is usually much different from straight "linear" (the exception being when the denominator is constant).

Ray Vickson said:
Please do not call these transformations "linear"---they are not. They are "fractional linear" or maybe "linear fractional", but that is usually much different from straight "linear" (the exception being when the denominator is constant).

I've stated the problem verbatim, but I do understand the distinction.

Okay. I used another method.

[z, 0, 2, -2] = [w, 1, i, 0]

[itex] \frac{(w-q_1)(r_1-s_1)}{(w-s_1)(r_1-q_1)} =\frac{(z-q)(r-s)}{(z-s)(r-q)} [/itex]

Plugging in the respective coordinates, I get w = [itex] \frac{2i(2+z)}{(-2zi + 4i -4z)}[/itex]

Related to Find a linear transformation such that it maps the disk onto

1. What is a linear transformation?

A linear transformation is a mathematical function that maps one vector space to another in a way that preserves the structure of the original vector space. It can be represented by a matrix and is often used in fields such as physics, engineering, and computer graphics.

2. How does a linear transformation map the disk onto a given shape?

A linear transformation can be used to map the disk onto a given shape by applying a combination of scaling, rotation, and shearing operations to the points in the disk. This results in a one-to-one correspondence between the points in the disk and the points in the given shape.

3. Can any shape be mapped onto the disk using a linear transformation?

No, not every shape can be mapped onto the disk using a linear transformation. The shape must have a similar structure to the disk, meaning it must also be a vector space, in order for the transformation to work.

4. What is the importance of finding a linear transformation to map the disk?

Finding a linear transformation to map the disk onto a given shape is important in various fields because it allows us to apply mathematical operations and transformations to the given shape as if it were a simpler and more well-understood shape, such as the disk. This makes it easier to analyze and manipulate the shape.

5. How do you determine the specific linear transformation needed to map the disk onto a given shape?

The specific linear transformation needed to map the disk onto a given shape can be determined by using a combination of mathematical techniques, such as matrix algebra and geometric reasoning. The transformation should result in a one-to-one mapping between the points in the disk and the points in the given shape, and should preserve the properties of the disk, such as its radius and center.