Find a spanning set a minimal spanning set for ##P_4##.

In summary: The latter is the more common definition."In summary, the author is seeking a spanning set and minimal spanning set for ##P_4## using Theorem 2.7 to demonstrate that no other spanning set has fewer elements. The attempted solution includes a spanning set of polynomials, a minimal spanning set, and the application of Theorem 2.7. The question is raised about the degree of polynomials in ##P_4## and the idea of showing linear independence using Gauss-Jordan elimination is proposed."
Terrell

Homework Statement

Find a spanning set for ##P_4##. Find a minimal spanning set. Use Theorem 2.7 to show no other spanning set has fewer elements.
Would simply like someone to check my answers as the book I'm using did not provide a solutions manual. Thank you.

Homework Equations

Theorem 2.7: If a finite set ##A##={##\alpha_1,\alpha_2,...,\alpha_n##} spans ##V##, then every linearly independent set contains at most ##n## elements.

The Attempt at a Solution

spanning set: {##1,x,x^2,x^3,5##}
minimal spanning set: {##1,x,x^2,x^3##}
By theorem 2.7., since {##1,x,x^2,x^3##} is linearly indepdent and spans ##P_4##, then any linearly independent set has at most ##m## elements such that ##m\leq 4##. However, {##1,x,x^2,x^3##} has 4 elements and is a minimal spanning set ##\Rightarrow## ##4\leq m##. Therefore, ##m=4##.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Shouldn't P4 have 4-th degree polynomials in it?

To use theorem 2.7 you have to show (or at least say) that your spanning set is linear independent.

If I wanted to show that the set is linearly independent, do i need to show explicitly that each element can't be a linear combination of the other elements in the set or is there a shorter method? My book defined ##P_n## to be of degree ##\leq n-1##.

Terrell said:
If I wanted to show that the set is linearly independent, do i need to show explicitly that each element can't be a linear combination of the other elements in the set or is there a shorter method?
You can probably get away with just saying it is linear independent. To prove it formally, you can show that the only way to get the null vector is zero for all coefficients.
My book defined ##P_n## to be of degree ##\leq n-1##.
Okay, fine.

Likes Terrell
mfb said:
o prove it formally, you can show that the only way to get the null vector is zero for all coefficients.
can solving it using gauss-jordan elimination in matrix form be considered formal? thanks!

That will work. It is trivial for the spanning set you chose, of course.

Likes Terrell
mfb said:
Shouldn't P4 have 4-th degree polynomials in it?
Authors of linear algebra textbooks aren't consistent in this notation. Two of my books define ##P_n## as the space of polynomials of degree less than n. Another defines this as polynomials of degree less than or equal to n.

Related to Find a spanning set a minimal spanning set for ##P_4##.

1. What is a spanning set for ##P_4##?

A spanning set for ##P_4## is a set of vectors that can be used to express any polynomial of degree 4 or less as a linear combination of those vectors.

2. Why is it important to find a spanning set for ##P_4##?

Finding a spanning set for ##P_4## allows us to represent any polynomial of degree 4 or less in a more concise and efficient way, as we only need to work with a smaller set of vectors rather than the entire space of polynomials.

3. What does it mean for a spanning set to be minimal?

A minimal spanning set for ##P_4## is a set of vectors that cannot be reduced any further without losing the ability to express all polynomials of degree 4 or less. In other words, it is the smallest possible set of vectors that can still span the entire space of ##P_4##.

4. How can I find a spanning set for ##P_4##?

One way to find a spanning set for ##P_4## is to start with a set of vectors and check if they span the entire space. If they do not, additional vectors can be added until the set spans ##P_4##. This process can be repeated until a minimal spanning set is found.

5. Can there be more than one minimal spanning set for ##P_4##?

Yes, there can be multiple minimal spanning sets for ##P_4##. This is because there are many different combinations of vectors that can span ##P_4##, and as long as the set is minimal, it will still be able to express all polynomials of degree 4 or less.