Find a vector such that directional derivative is zero

In summary, the problem asks for finding a vector u such that the directional derivative D_u f is maximum and a vector v such that D_v f is 0. The solution involves using the gradient vector and the formula for directional derivative, and understanding the concept of level curves and perpendicularity of the gradient vector.
username12345

Homework Statement

Let [tex]f (x, y) = e^x^2 + 3e^y[/tex] . At the point (0, 1) find:
(a) a vector u such that the directional derivative [tex]D_u f[/tex] is maximum and write down this maximum value,
(b) a vector v such that [tex]D_v f = 0[/tex]

Homework Equations

grad f / directional derivative formula

The Attempt at a Solution

I can find part (a), simply calculate the gradient vector, but part (b) I don't know what to do. The answer given is:

(b) Dv f is zero when v is tangent to the level curve passing through (0, 1), i.e. when v = i
(or some multiple of this).

I don't understand what this means.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
well, you probbably know that:

[tex]D_uf=grad{f}*u=|grad{f}||u|cos \theta=|grad{f}|[/tex]

you only need to fill in the details. theta is the angle between grad{f} and u.

username12345 said:

Homework Statement

Let [tex]f (x, y) = e^x^2 + 3e^y[/tex] . At the point (0, 1) find:
(a) a vector u such that the directional derivative [tex]D_u f[/tex] is maximum and write down this maximum value,
(b) a vector v such that [tex]D_v f[/tex]
You mean [tex]D_v f= 0[/tex]?

Homework Equations

grad f / directional derivative formula

The Attempt at a Solution

I can find part (a), simply calculate the gradient vector, but part (b) I don't know what to do. The answer given is:

(b) Dv f is zero when v is tangent to the level curve passing through (0, 1), i.e. when v = i
(or some multiple of this).

I don't understand what this means.
Along a level curve, the function is a constant. (That's what "level curve" means!). That's why the derivative in that direction is 0. You can also do this by using the formula for derivative in the direction of unit vector v: [itex]D_v f= \nabla f\cdot v[/itex]. The dot product of those two vectors will be 0 when they are perpendicular. Of course, a unit vector that makes angle [itex]\theta[/itex] with the x-axis is [itex]cos(\theta)\vec{i}+ sin(\theta)\vec{j}[/itex] so you can also say that the derivative in the direction making angle [itex]\theta[/itex] with the x-axis is [itex]cos(\theta) \partial f/\partial x+ sin(\theta)\partial f/\partial y[/itex].

It shouldn't be too hard to see that if you are standing on a mountain looking up the steepest direction, the steepest direction down is right behind you and the trail around the mountain, the level curve, is to your side- at right angles to the "steepest" way.

The gradient is always perpendicular to a level curve.

Last edited by a moderator:
The explanation above is good.

So, if say the gradient vector was i + 2j, then a vector such that Dv f = 0 would be +- (2i - j) ?

Yes, that would work.

Ok, got it, thanks.

Related to Find a vector such that directional derivative is zero

1. What is a directional derivative?

A directional derivative is a measure of the instantaneous rate of change of a function in a particular direction. It represents the slope of the function along a specific vector.

2. How do you find a vector such that the directional derivative is zero?

To find a vector such that the directional derivative is zero, you need to first find the gradient of the function. Then, set the gradient vector equal to zero and solve for the vector that satisfies this condition. This vector will be perpendicular to the level curves of the function and will result in a zero directional derivative.

3. What does a zero directional derivative indicate?

A zero directional derivative indicates that the rate of change of the function in a particular direction is zero. This means that the function is not changing in that direction and is either at a maximum, minimum, or saddle point.

4. Can a function have multiple vectors with a zero directional derivative?

Yes, a function can have multiple vectors with a zero directional derivative. This is because a function can have multiple stationary points where the gradient is equal to zero, resulting in multiple directions with zero directional derivative.

5. How is the directional derivative used in real-world applications?

The directional derivative is used in real-world applications to analyze the rate of change of physical quantities, such as temperature, pressure, and velocity. It is also used in optimization problems to find the direction in which a function is changing the fastest.