Find acceleration and speed of a box

In summary, the problem involves a box being pushed by a force of 4.5 N while encountering a frictional force of 1.5 N and an air resistance force that increases with the speed of the box. The maximum values for acceleration and speed are found to be 4.0 m/s^2 and 7.1 m/s respectively. The air resistance force is not used in calculating the maximum acceleration as it decreases as the box gains speed. A diagram showing the direction of the forces acting on the box includes the normal force directed upwards.
moenste

Homework Statement

A large cardboard box of mass 0.75 kg is pushed across a horizontal floor by a force of 4.5 N. The motion of the box is opposed by (i) a frictional force of 1.5 N between the box and the floor, and (ii) an air resistance force kv2, where k = 6 * 10-2 kg m-1 and v is the speed of the box in m s-1.

Sketch a diagram showing the directions of the forces which act on the moving box. Calculate maximum values for (a) the acceleration of the box, (b) its speed.

Answers: (a) 4.0 m s-2, (b) 7.1 m s-1

2. The attempt at a solution
While I do get the correct answers, I am a bit confused.

(a) F = ma
4.5 - 1.5 = 0.75 * a
a = 4 m s-2

(b) 4.5 = 1.5 + kv2
3 = 6 * 10-2 * v2
v = 7.1 m s-1

My confusion is the following: if 4.5 N which is moving "forward" equals to 1.5 N and the air resistance force kv2 how does the box actually move? Shouldn't it stand still? I known that a body might be in equilibrium and can move (e. g. a brick on a rope spun in a circle) but not sure how to apply it to this situation (whether this applies at all). And if it is equal, then why not 4.5 - 1.5 - kv2 = 0.75 * a?

Maybe my graph is wrong and that is why I don't see the situation in the right way. Or maybe my calculations are wrong and I luckily got a similar answer.

2e7eb37e0a09.jpg

Thanks in advance for any help!

Physics news on Phys.org
moenste said:
My confusion is the following: if 4.5 N which is moving "forward" equals to 1.5 N and the air resistance force kv2 how does the box actually move? Shouldn't it stand still?
Once the net force equals zero, the box will no longer accelerate. But it will keep moving at whatever speed it has attained.

Likes moenste
Doc Al said:
Once the net force equals zero, the box will no longer accelerate. But it will keep moving at whatever speed it has attained.
Thank you Doc Al. That explains (b) and in that case I think that my graph is correct (right?).

But why don't we use the air resistance force in (a)?

moenste said:
That explains (b) and in that case I think that my graph is correct (right?).
Your diagram is just missing the normal force from the floor, but otherwise it is fine.

moenste said:
But why don't we use the air resistance force in (a)?
Because you want the maximum acceleration, which is when the net force is maximum. As the box gains speed, the air resistance increases and the net force (and acceleration) decreases. The air resistance is least when the box first starts out and the speed is zero.

Likes moenste
Doc Al said:
Your diagram is just missing the normal force from the floor, but otherwise it is fine.
Ah, yes. This one: normal reaction which is directed north (just like http://img1.mnimgs.com/img/shared/discuss_editlive/2191102/2012_10_31_20_34_28/image3293772999898041151.jpg ).

Because you want the maximum acceleration, which is when the net force is maximum. As the box gains speed, the air resistance increases and the net force (and acceleration) decreases. The air resistance is least when the box first starts out and the speed is zero.
Now I get it. The question is "maximum value of the acceleration", therefore we have two constant forces (4.5 and 1.5) and only one which is dependent on speed (air res.). Therefore, if we need "maximum" we calculate using 4.5 N and 1.5 N when the speed is zero and air res. is zero aswell.

I think that's it. Thank you :).

Last edited by a moderator:
moenste said:
Ah, yes. This one: normal reaction which is directed north (just like http://img1.mnimgs.com/img/shared/discuss_editlive/2191102/2012_10_31_20_34_28/image3293772999898041151.jpg ).
Right. (Though I would call it "up", not "north". :smile:)

moenste said:
Now I get it. The question is "maximum value of the acceleration", therefore we have two constant forces (4.5 and 1.5) and only one which is dependent on speed (air res.). Therefore, if we need "maximum" we calculate using 4.5 N and 1.5 N when the speed is zero and air res. is zero aswell.
Exactly. You've got it.:thumbup:

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes moenste

Related to Find acceleration and speed of a box

What is acceleration?

Acceleration is the rate at which an object's velocity changes over time. It is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude and direction.

What is the formula for acceleration?

The formula for acceleration is a = (vf - vi)/t, where a is acceleration, vf is final velocity, vi is initial velocity, and t is time.

How do I calculate acceleration?

To calculate acceleration, you need to know the change in velocity and the time it took for that change to occur. Then, simply plug those values into the formula a = (vf - vi)/t to find the acceleration.

What is the difference between average and instantaneous acceleration?

Average acceleration is the change in velocity over a specific time interval, while instantaneous acceleration is the change in velocity at a specific moment in time. Average acceleration gives an overall picture of the object's motion, while instantaneous acceleration gives a more precise measurement at a specific point in time.

How does acceleration relate to speed?

Acceleration is directly related to speed. When an object accelerates, its speed increases or decreases depending on the direction of the acceleration. The larger the acceleration, the faster the object's speed will change.