Find acceleration? Are two solution possible?

In summary, the first approach using the equation for weight (G=10G) works, but the second approach using Newton's second law is more clear.
CICCI_2011
1. Homework Statement

Find acceleration-x ̈ of the load. Force F=10G, friction μ=1/3, mass of he body is G.

I tried two ways of solving this problem but not sure if any is good. I think second is good. But wondering if first is also good?

2. Homework Equations

Ek=1/2 G/g x ̇^2

Fμ=G μ

3. The Attempt at a Solution

Please look at the picture.There you can see my effort in solving this problem. Thanks for any help.

http://s1198.photobucket.com/albums/aa453/nikola5210/?action=view&current=Load-Copy.png

Physics news on Phys.org
CICCI_2011 said:
1. Homework Statement

Find acceleration-x ̈ of the load. Force F=10G, friction μ=1/3, mass of he body is G.

I tried two ways of solving this problem but not sure if any is good. I think second is good. But wondering if first is also good?

2. Homework Equations

Ek=1/2 G/g x ̇^2
I don't recognize this formula. Is "g" the acceleration due to gravity? This problem does not involve falling under gravity. You have an object moving across a surface with friction, under a force. And, although you don't say it, I suspect [itex]\mu[/itex] is the coefficient of friction, not the friction force itself.

Fμ=G μ

3. The Attempt at a Solution

Please look at the picture.There you can see my effort in solving this problem. Thanks for any help.

http://s1198.photobucket.com/albums/aa453/nikola5210/?action=view&current=Load-Copy.png

The way you're using it, G is the object's weight, not its mass.

Both approaches will work.

In the first approach, the initial equation, though correct, seems to come out of nowhere. It would be clearer if you used A.L. Bruce's suggestion and started with Newton's second law.

In the second approach, you didn't calculate the work (A) correctly.

Yes μ is the coefficient of friction. "g" is the acceleration due to gravity. Ek-would be kinetics energy of the system. G/g*X-Inertial force of the body.Fμ-friction force.G is the object's weight. Is any of the solution correct? If not how it should be done?

Why work is not correctly calculated?Work shouldn't have coefficient of friction wright?

I was thinking that pulling force is acting on one side and friction force+ inertial force on the other. That is how I come up with initial equation of the first approach. I don't see how to get same equation with Newton's second law?

Thanks for all for your fast response

Last edited:
Work would be dA=Fdx-Gμdx

dA=10Gdx-G/3dx
dA=(10-1/3)Gdx
dA=29/3 Gdx

from which acceleration is x=29/3 g

I still don't see how to get G μ+G/g x ̈ =F from Newton's second law?

Last edited:
Fnet = M*A.

M is the mass of the object. What is M in this case? What do you get for Fnet?

Mass of the object G/g. For Fnet=F-Gμ. Is this correct ?

G1 is weight on first load and 1 is just a subscript. That also stand for G2,G3. (Can't type subscript don't know why)

Can the same principle be used for multiple loads. If there were 3 loads tied one to another with rope(light unstretchable) G1,G2,G3 than would it be correct to write (G1+G2+G3)μ+(G1+G2+G3)/g *x ̈ =F ?

S- force in rope
S1-force in first rope etc. Again 1 is just a subscript That also stand for S2,S3.

And the force in the ropes S3 (G3 is the last in line)

S3=G3 μ+G3/g x ̈

S2=S3+G2 μ+G2/g x ̈

S1=F-S2+G3 μ+G3/g x ̈

Is this correct? If not any suggestion?

Last edited:
CICCI_2011 said:
Mass of the object G/g. For Fnet=F-Gμ. Is this correct ?
Yes. So you can plug these values into the Fnet = M*A expression and solve for A.
G1 is weight on first load and 1 is just a subscript. That also stand for G2,G3. (Can't type subscript don't know why)
Use the X2 and X2 buttons on the reply panel header.
Can the same principle be used for multiple loads. If there were 3 loads tied one to another with rope(light unstretchable) G1,G2,G3 than would it be correct to write (G1+G2+G3)μ+(G1+G2+G3)/g *x ̈ =F ?
You have to make the assumption that the rope stays taught, of course. But sure, it seems okay to do that -- all the masses will behave as one larger mass as far as the pulling force is concerned.
S- force in rope
S1-force in first rope etc. Again 1 is just a subscript That also stand for S2,S3.

And the force in the ropes S3 (G3 is the last in line)

S3=G3 μ+G3/g x ̈

S2=S3+G2 μ+G2/g x ̈

S1=F-S2+G3 μ+G3/g x ̈

Is this correct? If not any suggestion?

It looks okay.

Thanks everybody for helping me, for taking time and effort.

Best regard to all

Related to Find acceleration? Are two solution possible?

1. What is acceleration?

Acceleration is the rate at which an object's velocity changes over time. It is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude (how fast the object is accelerating) and direction.

2. How do you calculate acceleration?

Acceleration can be calculated by dividing the change in an object's velocity by the change in time. The formula for acceleration is: a = (vf - vi) / t, where a is acceleration, vf is final velocity, vi is initial velocity, and t is time.

3. What are the units of acceleration?

The SI unit for acceleration is meters per second squared (m/s²). This means that for every second an object accelerates, its velocity increases by 1 m/s. Other commonly used units for acceleration include feet per second squared (ft/s²) and kilometers per hour squared (km/h²).

4. Can acceleration have a negative value?

Yes, acceleration can have a negative value. This indicates that the object is decelerating, or slowing down. A positive acceleration means the object is speeding up, and a zero acceleration means the object is moving at a constant velocity.

5. Are there ever two solutions for acceleration?

No, there are not typically two solutions for acceleration. However, in certain cases where an object is changing direction, there may be two different accelerations calculated for the two different directions of motion. In these cases, the average of the two accelerations is often used.